Firinne

2017 Philadelphia Eagles

248 posts in this topic

The Eagles announced on Friday afternoon that they have acquired cornerback Ronald Darby from the Buffalo Bills in exchange for wide receiver Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-round draft pick.

The 5-11, 193-pound Darby was a second-round draft pick of the Bills in 2015. He has been a starter in all 29 of his career games over the past two seasons. He had 121 tackles, 32 passes defensed, three tackles for loss, and two interceptions with the Bills. In 2016, Darby had a career-best 69 tackles and 12 passes defensed. Darby is just 23 years old and has two years left on his rookie deal.

And buffalo sends Sammy Watkins to the Rams.  Very interesting.   I've always liked Jordan, but the writing was on the wall that they were going to move away from him.  

Oh, and Zeke suspended for 6 games?  Busy news afternoon

The Eagles lose Matthews, and a 3rd round pick, but get back Darby, who is evidently a real speedster. 

One could analyze this a couple of different ways, but here's an angle I like: Howie and Joe Douglas let the cornerback situation fester because they thought that they were at least another year away from being a contender. This is the same reason they drafted Sidney Jones in the 2nd round in this year's draft: it doesn't matter if your cornerbacks suck if you're not going anywhere anyway. 

The trade of Matthews in exchange for Darby could be a sign that the team now thinks that they may contend this year. It's probably a coincidence, but the fact that the Matthews-Darby trade was announced just after the news about the Elliott suspension in Dallas came out is interesting: maybe Weenie Howie, after what he saw last night, thinks that the Birds might have a shot to contend for the division title this year, but that he needed a corner to do so. We shall see.

ahahahahahahaha , you really think "after what he saw last night, thinks that the Birds might have a shot to contend for the division title this year" is  a valid statement

buffalo is stacked for next years draft...two pick in each of the first three rounds, if im reading it correctly.

42 minutes ago, gobigblue said:

ahahahahahahaha , you really think "after what he saw last night, thinks that the Birds might have a shot to contend for the division title this year" is  a valid statement

thought it before last night...

9 minutes ago, Finster said:

thought it before last night...

well then, the addition of an overrated cb, and promotion of butter fingers agoholor and dismissal of the best wr youve had since TO should really solidify your theories!

I wasn't so impressed last night to be quite honest. The running game stunk, special teams stunk and McGloin still sucks!

On the plus side Wentz looked pretty relaxed and accurate, DE Barnett looked pretty damn good and Hicks and Kendricks played well. The corners stunk and I think that was the reason for the move.

This morning, there wasn't a cornerback on the roster who stood a chance covering Odell Beckham Jr.   Not a huge sample size, but when the Bills/Giants played in 2015; Beckham had 1 catch for 8 yards in 4 attempts against Darby.   Jammed him at the line on another play and got ODB's knickers in a twist (but what's new).   I can't think the eagles equipment manager approves of this trade, knowing it could lead to a grown man throwing tantrums on the Linc sidelines and fighting with his kicking nets.    

My opinion of the team last night was who-gives-a-crap-cause-its-the-preseason.   

Eagles give a crap, after that game they knew they had to make the move to get Darby.

Let's be for real, jmatt was no jerry rice. He is easily replaced. He was the most productive player by only a deep lack of talent at the WR spot. With 2 true starting wideouts I don't see much of a need for a standout slot player. NA will be splitting time w the rookies, and will most likely be  gone after this season, depending on his playing. Good move in my eyes. 

19 hours ago, Firinne said:

I wasn't so impressed last night to be quite honest. The running game stunk, special teams stunk and McGloin still sucks!

On the plus side Wentz looked pretty relaxed and accurate, DE Barnett looked pretty damn good and Hicks and Kendricks played well. The corners stunk and I think that was the reason for the move.

Firinne,

First pre season game.  No real indication of anything. 

I don't like the trade mostly because Matthews is a good receiver and has been for three years.  Very consistent, good hands, good routes, etc.  And this year, he was going to actually have some other good receivers around him who would take the double teams away and make him better.  The Buffalo corner stank up the field last year but remember, the Bills were falling apart so it is hard to judge.  Maybe he will do better with a team on the way up.  But why throw in the 3rd round pick???  Oh well, looking forward to the year.

Hey Knight, I'm not too sure how this trade is gonna play out to be honest with you. I think the Eagles feel that they have a shot at the playoffs this year and CB is a glaring hole in the line-up that needed fixing. I liked Matthews as well and with him gone that means NA will be the slot receiver possibly along with rookie Mack Hollins (possibly.) Unless Agholor does a 180 they're really gonna miss Matthews. 

Not sure what's going on in Buffalo this year with them dealing WR Sammy Watkins then Darby? 

My guess is, Buffalo is stock-piling draft capital so they can get their franchise QB in the next year or two and be set up for the post-Brady era in the AFCE.  

I think every eagles fan like Matthews.  High character guy, decent enough skill, and had that long TD to beat the cowboys in OT two years ago.  But everyone also knew CB was a glaring weakness.  The addition of Jeffery/Smith this off-season makes trading your slot receiver for a 23-year old starting caliber CB whose had success in the past a no-brainer to me.  

While Im happy Howie is being agressive , its really just making moves

to cover loser draft picks. If they had picked a corner ready to play over

the injured kid they went with, Wents still has Matthews, a target he was

obviously confident in. Maybe kept Eric Rowe? Drafting turds like

Marcus Smith, Nolan Carroll and Agholor, if he doesnt turn it around, catch

up to a team. This DE from Tenn really needs to be a player. A kid like Hollins

turning into something would be great. I agree w others that have said,PreSeason

means absolutely nothing.