Firinne

2017 Philadelphia Eagles

248 posts in this topic

So hard to predict Birds this year. So many new options.

Blount could help, or could turn into a major pita. Got his ring, got his payday.

Start crying cuz hes not getting the ball. IMO Lane Johnson will be a bust.

Looked ok for a short period when he was fresh and rest of opponents had already

played a good portion of season. Even then, he played nowhere near as well as Philly

announcers made it sound. Hope the kid makes good progress this year. No faith in this

coaching staff. Career scrubs. Not feeling as good about this team as lots are. 8-8

Looking forward to seeing the offense with a couple decent receivers.

Not looking forward to seeing the secondary get torched again. I think they'll be 8-8.

The parallels between this regime and the '99 regime are well known.  First time coach (Reid, now his disciple Pederson), 2nd overall QB pick, limited success year one, etc. 

So my prediction is gonna stick with that trend, and the '17 eagles will follow in the footsteps of the '00 eagles.  Improve a lot, get a wildcard berth, and win that game before losing in the divisional round. 

Of course, in '00 we had Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent at CB, instead of Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, so it might be tough.  

I think they will win 7 or 8 games. They will be better then last year and have the same record. Schedule is very difficult. Like last year they'll be in every game. 

Giants are better may split

Cowboys are better may split

Redskins aren't better, but, the Eagles always struggle with them. May split

they have to travel across the country 3 times!! LA, Seattle, and LA!! Back to back against the Seahawks and Rams in Dec. They play the AFC west and NFC west. Not easy. Can they win 10 games? Sure. Will they? Prob not

Finally got a real WR and hopefully get something good out of Torrey Smith as well. Wentz had bad accuracy issues last year to go with the multiple Agholor dropped passes. The addition of Blount will help also, especially with glass knee Mathews always on the injury report. And still have 2 of the best TEs in the league. Defense did alot of work last year, but not scoring took it's toll in the long run. 

Am I the only one who's extremely, possibly even wildly, optimistic about this season? I think the Birds go at least 10-6, and 11 or 12 wins are within reach. Yes, I realize that the schedule is tough, but the division doesn't look that formidable, and they have made significant upgrades to some key positions: wide receivers, and the offensive and defensive lines. I particularly want to see the D-Line: Derek Barnett in and Marcus Smith out is a yuge upgrade, and I think they could be a pretty awesome group this year, and make the cornerback situation almost irrelevant. You don't need guys who can cover forever when the big uglies up front are harassing the quarterback. 

The main reason I feel this way is Carson Wentz: I think the Eagles have the real deal in him. No, he's not as good as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but by the end of this coming season, Wentz could very well be the most valuable player in the entire league: a young (he's still only 24), franchise QB with at least a decade of elite-level play ahead of him. He's the kind of player that GMs have wet dreams over. 

I hate Jeff Lurie, and think he's a carpetbagging money-hungry douhebag who never ran a successful business in his life but who lucked into a gold mine of an NFL franchise. I think Jeffy's been an underachieving owner, mostly because he's such a bad manager (I have it on very good sources that the paranoia runs very deep at the Novacare Complex, and it all goes back to Jeffy Boy), and there have been years where I've mocked the Birds just because of the disdain I have for the owner. But the Birds are still my team -- I still bleed green -- and I think they're on to something now. No, they're not going to win the Super Bowl, but I think they have a good shot at winning the division and maybe making a little bit of noise in the playoffs. 

I'm always optimistic, cause why not?  I don't throw in the towel until the 7th loss of any season.   I think the season opener is huge.  Washington has had their number lately, so if they can get an early division road win against a team they've been struggling with, I'll feel a lot better about the rest of the season.  

Taking my kids to the open practice on Sunday....has anyone been?   Are the beer concessions open?  

Reuben Frank of CSN Philly reported yesterday that Nelson Agholor has looked like a different player (i.e. good) so far. If he shakes off his slump, it could be a very, very, very big deal for the Birds: it would be like they got an extra first-round pick this year. 

Went to open practice today.  Wentz looked fantastic.  Agholor caught a crossing pattern early on and the whole house cheered.  Then 3 minutes later got booed after dropping a gorgeous 30 yard pass in from Wentz in the corner of the endzone.  The guy is a legit route runner and can separate.  If only it wasn't for that pesky "catching the ball" part of being an NFL WR.  I'm still hoping it clicks with him, but am reminded of some saying about hoping in one hand and s*#tting in the other, and seeing which fills up first.   Nice day at the Linc, though... whole lower level was filled..must've been 30k people there.  

there will be a sophomore slump in Dallas and you all will take advantage of it.

I'm a little worried about the linebackers and corners. Gonna be a lot of high scoring games I feel.

8 hours ago, Firinne said:

Hey ff, how'd the corners look? 

I saw Jalen Mills go up and make a nice interception on a slightly underthrown ball to Torrey Smith.  I think McGloin threw that one.  Other than that, they seemed to all be getting beat pretty regularly.  They need to get Kyle Fuller and pray his knee holds up.