dannyplug1

Buzz bait questions

13 posts in this topic

Recently I have been doing a lot of largemouth fishing.  I did very well with a buzz bait in the dark last night.  I had a chartreuse bait and wondered if a black bait would have been better as a striper fisherman I always fish black on a dark night.  I want the bait that stays on the surface gurbeling at the slowest retrieve in black and I wanted  them in black in three eights five eights and one half and in black.  Any one out there have any ideas.  Also curious about other night time lures.  I have the jitterbug and did ok with it what do you guys fish largemouth at night with,

I do like a black buzzbait at night, although I have caught on other colors like white and chartreuse. You're correct regarding the relationship to striper fishing. Otherwise, any topwater bait will work at night. "Night" spinnerbaits with a large colorado blade work well. Colors there are usually black/blue and black/red. Large jointed swimbaits or large stickbaits like a Rapala F-18 work great on largies/smallies as well.  

On nights where I don't have a great topwater bite, I will fish spinnerbaits or even large creature baits like a Zoom Brush Hog and get bit. I like the brush hogs around vertically growing vegetation or rocks.

i love a black spinnerbait at night. i also like jitterbugs,buzz baits for top water at night. i used to chuck a big Clacker buzzbait .... i forget who made it, but it had a little piece of metal that made contact with the  blade when it spun.....  very noisy and smallies crushed it

Posted (edited)

I never did a lot of night fishing, but when I did I mostly used black lures. As far as buzzbaits go, Cavitron brand does the best job at the slowest speeds. For noisy, OkieBug, which is no longer made, had one like deep diver has described, where the blade hit a stationary metal part as it spun. There's a guy who sells on Ebay, who I believe is a relation to the guy who founded OkieBug, and he has the frames for sale sometimes. You need the other components, but the frame has that metal clacker part already on it. 

There have also been other companies that made a clacker type, with a part that is mounted on the frame & moves with the blade, so they hit together. Those can be easily made as many places that sell lure parts will have what is needed. I make many of my own, and do make some of the clacker type. I know about the fellow on Ebay too, because I've bought some of those frames to make my own. When they hit perfectly, they make a heck of a racket. They're not as easy to tune as those with the moving clacker. 

For whatever reason, and from what I've noticed, there are not a lot of name brands that make an all black buzzbait. Don't know why that is, as that all black can be just as productive during the day. 

Edited by tidewaterfly

i also love a black spinnerbait at night. i like jitterbugs,buzz baits for top water.... i don't know who made it, but it had a little piece of metal that made contact with the  blade when it spun.....  very noisy and smallies crushed it

Like prior poster, I tend to like black w/clacker.  The one I have has 3 aluminum blades.

I made some custom with 3 huge plastic blades.  Allowed me to go real slow, stay up top, and make a lot of gurgling commotion. 

I pretty much only through black or chartreuse.  

I do throw some twin blade buzz baits in chartreuse in daylight.  

Hang a big, fat grub, crawdad or shad on that buzz bait.

It'll add weight and stability for the cast and buoyancy for a slower retrieve.

Although color does matter, remember that at night the fish is focusing on sound, vibration and silhouette.

Since you can catch fish with dark colors on moonlit nights and white on moonless ones, color can be more your preference than the fishes.

But if it ain't broken, why fix it....or change it?

Black, white & chartreuse are the colors I've had the most success with using no matter what type of lure or fly I'm throwing. I still use many colors, but always have lures that are in those colors. My favorite muddy water lure is a big all black spinnerbait, with a heavy skirt & big Colorado blades. Black shows well in muddy water and with the blade vibration & water that the skirt pushes, they find it! White, is pretty basic. Many baitfish & other things have some white or whitish color on them. Chartreuse, can't explain why, but it works. It's about the mid range of the color spectrum. Shows well day or night, no matter the water clarity either. But I do agree with what Fisherman Tim is saying, color has some importance, but other features may have more in the majority of conditions. We tend to choose lures first & foremost based on it's color, and that really may not be the best way to make a choice.

BTW, I was browsing some tackle online the other night, which I do a lot, and Russ Bassdozer has some nice looking buzzbaits with the clackers & some good looking spinnerbaits on his website for anyone interested. :) ( NO, I have no association either!) 

Posted (edited)

Boogerman Buzz BAit!! Bend it so the Blade ticks the head on the retrieve.  Which means that you bend it down to almost touching and it will flex on the retrieve and only tick occasionally.  Nice erratic noise instead of the steady click of a clacker.  Big ole 1oz size produces some massive fish.

Sorry just checked and boogerman has gone out of business in 2016.  Crockogator buzz baits do the same thing try them.  Their biggest is only 3/4 though.

Edited by flyman28
misinformation

Back in the BC days, guys would tie their buzz baits to their truck's outside rearview mirrors.

Out in the wind the blade's axle hole would wear and cause the blade to squeak when retrieved at fishing speeds.

YMMV :)