The Riddler

Swell Scupper 14

201 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think his day may have passed. He looked pretty old in the video. The guy in that picture looks pretty young. Father time catches up to all of us.. That kayak video was not a very good example of surfing skills. Ross would run circles around the dude. He is not a young man either. Tough to surf in a fishing kayak. Viking kayak's have some good video's with young kayakers with excellent surfing skills in their fishing kayaks.

Edited by dbjpb

II would not want to get tangled up in a leash in the surf zone. I would not leash my paddle while passing through the surf zone. Not sure how leashing it up front would prevent me from getting tangled ? It looks like a very long leash ? 

16 hours ago, gellfex said:

This guy more or less invented SOT kayak surfing, I give him some rope, and he's in his mid 60's. Those conditions looked rough to me. We have a saying on the river, if you're not getting knocked over you're not playing hard enough.

I didn't like how the bow dug in...a design flaw for ocean kayak fisherman in my opinion. 

I can only speak from my own experience. The Swell looks a LOT like the old Scupper Pro. The SP has huge bow volume and some rocker, making it very resistant to perling (digging in the nose). More so, in my experience, than almost any other kayak I can think of.  No design flaw there. However, there are few, if any, fishing kayaks that will not perl if you take them straight down the face of a decent size wave. In the video, if he had just turned more off a straight line, I'm sure he would have avoided it. Or paddled hard to keep ahead of the wave face. Lots of people think you need to keep that nose perfectly straight coming in, but its a mistake on waves over 3 feet or so. Tim was probably just testing the limits of his design. It is easy to get hurt doing what he did.  Personally, I don't leash my boat in the surf zone, both to avoid tangling and because the leashes do not hold up well in larger surf.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ross for sharing your kayak surfing experience with us.  You still da man :)

Edited by dbjpb

That was one  classic catapult!  Looks to me like the pointy nose of that kayak dug in and hit bottom, sending the ass end up and over. 

Like being launched from a bucking bronco.  I can see the over pronounced bow not wanting to pearl.

9 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Thanks Ross for sharing your kayak surfing experience with us.  You still da man :)

Ha! Maybe the OLD man. But thanks.  

Damn, when the notification for this post turned up I thought it was from the BST!!  I may have to buy one of these.

Swell watercraft posted a new video, not sure if I can post the link. $844 for the first 20 to sign up, $1299 after.

The boat is definitely in production! They've taken down their old web page, but this stuff is up or linked va the facebook page. Really interesting is the molded recess in what should be the front hatch cutout. Could it be a battery hatch, so you can choose to not have the front hatch cut out at all? For many of us it's simply a leak point, I never put anything in there besides the battery and a sponge to bail out the leaks.  I already saw reference to the middle hatch being optional to cut out for greater access or leave as is to keep stuff handy. They also got rid of the bulbous bow that looked like it would catch the wind. I'm excited, I do not care about having a wet ass if my boat is fast and stable. Hopefully they have a NE dealer lined up!

shop.jpg

34308705_1868489543449022_65652757773261

34147923_1868489686782341_84415849441274

Swell-Watercraft-Scupper-Pro-1024x791.jp

The bulbous bow was what made the original so good in surf. Why do they always fix what is not broken.