The Riddler

Swell Scupper 14

201 posts in this topic

Great design. I hope they do well with this. Advertising is a bit over the top. "Fastest recreational sit-on-top ever built"??? No way.  

Nice to see the originator is still active with his design.  Doesn't RTM own or use the mold for the old OK Scupper?  That is inexpensive compared to many rotomolded HDPE yaks these days.  Wonder what this Scupper 14 will cost on both plastic and CF.

Looks cool.  Wonder how it'll stand up against the performance of the Prowler 13 on the ocean?.   I basically use that as the benchmark in which all paddle SOT angling kayaks that I measure against.   I know others will say this or that about the Prowler, but that will be my standard after years of paddling in all types of conditions both day and night on the ocean.  I do like what I see so far in the video and don't see anything that jumps out at me yet.   I think it's cool that those guys are standing tall together in promoting their product and offering such a nice discount on the early birds.    

The Kick starter failed, I wonder what the production status is? You'd think they could find $50k of investment easier than that. It may be there just is little demand for this niche, paddlers who want fast and stable but don't give a crap about a dry ass.

29 minutes ago, flylikabird said:

Looks cool.  Wonder how it'll stand up against the performance of the Prowler 13 on the ocean?.   I basically use that as the benchmark in which all paddle SOT angling kayaks that I measure against.   I know others will say this or that about the Prowler, but that will be my standard after years of paddling in all types of conditions both day and night on the ocean.  I do like what I see so far in the video and don't see anything that jumps out at me yet.   I think it's cool that those guys are standing tall together in promoting their product and offering such a nice discount on the early birds.    

The designer of the swell, I think, worked for Ocean Kayak a long time ago and designed the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro. 

The P-13 would not stand a chance against the Swell.  Better comparison would be the Scupper Pro. 

4 minutes ago, The Riddler said:

The designer of the swell, I think, worked for Ocean Kayak a long time ago and designed the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro. 

The P-13 would not stand a chance against the Swell.  Better comparison would be the Scupper Pro. 

The designer, Tim Neimer, founded and owned OK before selling it in 97.   One reason I find it curious they're in need of $50k.

Good info guys.  I wasn't talking about so much about speed but overall performance in durability over the years, remember early Hobie's cracks.   I really talking about stability and the ability to withstand chop and possibly bigger seas if caught with your pants down, more that kind of overall performance.   

Financially, I don't see a problem with a startup company looking for 50k to get themselves up and running smooth.  

Posted (edited)

As I recall, the Hobie cracking was all about the pedal well and scupper carts breaking scuppers, areas of high artificial stress. Has there ever been any production boat that failed simply in rough conditions? BTW, did you see the video of Tim going out in heavy surf in it and pitoning?

As for the $50k, we're not talking about kids in their garage, these are experienced people with many years in the industry. You'd think they'd have contacts to people willing to invest what's a relatively small sum as far as startups go even if they don't want to fund it themselves.

Edited by gellfex

Posted (edited)

Wow that was a nice wipe out. I never leash my paddle in the surf zone. Don't want to get tangled up in the leash.  I wonder why he attached the leash so  far forward?  It looks like he could side surf ok? It also looks like the nose definitely dove  down below the water  and caused the kayak to pearl while riding in a wave. I think he should have come in side ways or on an angle or behind the wave?  Maybe some thigh braces would help? Looks pretty rough to be using a fishing kayak in the surf zone there?  Not really impressed with his surf skills. He needs a lesson from Ross. 

Edited by dbjpb

17 minutes ago, dbjpb said:

Not really impressed with his surf skills. He needs a lesson from Ross. 

This guy more or less invented SOT kayak surfing, I give him some rope, and he's in his mid 60's. Those conditions looked rough to me. We have a saying on the river, if you're not getting knocked over you're not playing hard enough.

Posted (edited)

54 minutes ago, dbjpb said:

Wow that was a nice wipe out. I never leash my paddle in the surf zone. Don't want to get tangled up in the leash.  I wonder why he attached the leash so  far forward?  

That's the correct place to leash your paddle.............

When you wipe out in the surf  you wont have a leash between your crotch to deal with also if your fortunate enough to hold onto your paddle you can better control your craft in the wash , leash it in the center & its like fighting a snagged fish, it goes everywhere, no control whatsoever....

Edited by BillZ