1988 70 hp Evinrude, runs bad when warm

Rate this topic

Trapper Martin

Maybe so. I know that a product called "ring free" can help but I'm not sure with compression that low. It worked on my engine years ago when one of the six cylinders was 30 lbs lower than the rest. 

If the cylinder isn't scored then new rings should be the ticket!

I have a older 140  and when it gets hot , it was cutting out.  I run some seafoam throughout it in a six gal. tank   It runs a better now.  They say they get carboned up and by running it with the seafoam it cleans it up . You could try it?  It can't harm it, they say? It cleans the carbon out .  You can read about it on the web and other sites. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, Trapper Martin said:

Didn't check that but have a very good 'pee' stream, good circulation......just checked compression today...38-32-38...sounds very low to me...need rings maybe?

VERY LOW !!!

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

Its a 2 stroke, ...did a dummy movr replaced the head gasket without planeing the head, immediately blew the new gasket but wasnt leaking on the outside so i didnt realize it,messed around a long time did seafoam & things,finally pulled the head to check rings & bingo bad gasket!! ....planed head and it ran pretty well on the small pond i was on...headed for bigger water & missed a curve on a gravel ran my whole rig through a 10' road ditch into a bean field, boat came off the trailer,boat will be ok but trailer axle ruined.....my boat finally runs but now i xant make it to the water!!!

Edited by Trapper Martin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The reason they have a thermostat is for two reasons first to keep the engine at a consistant temperature second to create a restriction in the cooling system so the water can absorb the heat and cool the engine with out the water flows through too fast and can’t cool properly like said above the manufacture wouldn’t put it on there if not needed probley not causing your running issue but should be fixed