Braid at Buxton? Seigler Surf SM? September plugging?

Rate this topic

BrianBM

I've been to Hatteras and Buxton only once, at least twenty years ago, and maybe thirty.  I don't actually remember.  There's an issue of manners to address.

When I was there (whenever that was) braided lines were starting to penetrate the marketplace. I was told, I think at Red Drum, that it was bad manners to fish a reel with braid amidst anglers fishing with mono, because untangling mono from braid is such a pain in the arse. Is this still the case?  I have a Newell 220 with quality mono, P-line C-XXX, ready to go; if the house rules dictate mono, I'm happy to comply.  Otherwise it's a 525Mag and 50 lb. Sufix 832. Your advice, please.

Second question. Hatteras Jack's is in the neighborhood, and he had or still has some association with Seigler Reels. If there's ever a situation for which a conventional reel optimized for casting large sinkers is optimal, it's casting bait for red drum. I'm sure there are some Truth/Release/Seigler reels in circulation; how are they performing on drum, cobia, and the occasional shark? The bride might indulge me.   

I'll be there in mid-September with my wife. She will be happy to hunt the beaches for shells, I just wanna fish.  Plugs aren't worth the time for drum, but bluefish and bass ought be available in mi-September. Are there locally popular plugs for that season?

When I was there last, I heard a recommendation to always have a second rod at the ready that's rigged with an eel. If you see a big ray, cast the eel in hope that there's a cobia following.  Is there a locally preferred eel? 

The only folks you'll see throwing plugs are first timers from NJ. In jest of course, but in 25 years of fishing down that way for 4-6 weeks a year, I have never personally seen anyone throwing plugs. Metals in the 1-2.5 oz range are the preferred lure. Although there were some guys throwing topwaters for big blues this spring. 

If a half dozen bass are caught all year anywhere from the surf down there, I'd be surprised. I've caught two in all those years. 

17lb suffix tritanium was the rage for a long time and is still what I use, but there is now another new rage, but I forget what it is.

Sending you a PM 

The guys who are catching all the fish aren't doing it with braided line and 400$ reels. They have old beat up reels that work for them. They could probably get their hands on one if they wanted one but they stick with what works. 

I have yet to see someone with one of those Truth/Release/Seigler reels that really has it working right and loves the performance. I have heard, "Man, you have to cast this thing", "It sure is pretty", and "The drag is rated to 30 pounds"(or whatever). But I also hear, "This damn reel is too fast", "The drag sucks on this thing", or "It is broken". It seems like when you stray from tested Daiwa and Penn reels, you get into reels that have some issues.

If a $400 dollar reel lasts for 10 years, casts well, and has a dependable drag it might be worth it. I have gray Saltists that do those things for $150. 

If you like high end stuff, maybe the potential for performance gains might outweigh the headaches. For me, those fancy reels just don't have enough guys fishing them hard year in and year out to prove they are worth the extra money. 

Which is why you won't see me at the point. I am a braid guy and me and our crew have found numerous other spots that will hold reds on a consistent basis as we target October as our choice month and we stay away from the grumpy old mono guys in Buxton who are stuck in there ways:D. Also, where we fish, we don't have to wait our turn and everyone gets in on the action right away. Just not into the shoulder to shoulder routine. Some enjoy it. I don't. One more thing, don't forget your bucktails:hooked: 

live everyday as if it is your last, it just might be

Bucktails, I assume, for flounder and bluefish?  I won't.  

One nice thing about driving to a vacation is the greater volume of toys you can bring.  I'll have reels with braid, with mono, two Heavers (albeit both old; anyone remember both the Fenwick Big Surfstick and the competing Lamiglas E-series rods?)  and as many other toys as a guy could want. 

• 2 weeks later...

Point is mono only, or beware. It's a great place when you go with the flow, because, well, it works. 

I watched a guy catch a big drum on a plug about an hour before dark, before the "line" formed to do the tradition drum dance. 

As for braid and drum fishing, it truly is one place mono shines above braid, be it on the point or on an isolated beach. You'll hear of success stories with braid, but you also hear of monster deer shot by first time hunters, giant bass caught on Zebco 202 and million dollars won on scratch offs. 

Nicely phrased.  I'll be ready with suitable rods, reels and lines for whatever situation I may find myself in.  

I've suddenly remembered something by which to date my last visit, my encounter with a Buxton celebrity.  At the time of my visit, Buddy the cat was Red Drum's chief greeter, always to be found where he could rely on getting the most human attention. He was squashed by a car a couple of years after my visit.  For a time, when Red Drum had a big site on the Internet, there was a Buddy-the-cat memorial page. 

Sorry to read about the problems currently afflicting Buxton and the other evacuated villages. That's a lot of food getting dumped from home and restaurant freezers, a lot o summer tourist biz not getting done.  The place will probably be OK by the second week of September, so I'm lucking out unless a hurricane comes by. 

If the surf stays quiet, I'll find a partyboat to enjoy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 10:24 PM, TreednNC said:

Point is mono only, or beware. It's a great place when you go with the flow, because, well, it works. 

I watched a guy catch a big drum on a plug about an hour before dark, before the "line" formed to do the tradition drum dance. 

As for braid and drum fishing, it truly is one place mono shines above braid, be it on the point or on an isolated beach. You'll hear of success stories with braid, but you also hear of monster deer shot by first time hunters, giant bass caught on Zebco 202 and million dollars won on scratch offs. 

It always makes me chuckle when I hear that mono is better than braid and how it out catches over braid. The reason is because in the obx thats what they primarily use. The fish has no clue what line is on the reel. All they see is the same leader that all fisherman use when drum fishing. Ive been to the point fishing with braid shoulder to shoulder and have had the regulars tell me you can't do that and how theyre gonna cut my line. I just turn to the guys I'm with and we just laugh. I respect whats going on out there and keep things calm. We come down from Jersey twice a year and fish the invitationals surf tournamnets. Where our club has won it and the local Jersey clubs and have won them also.  Where all the northern guys fish braid shoulder to shoulder and have no problems. I still use mono on some conventionals. 

Nobody said it "catches" better. Just said it works better in most drum fishing applications. Surely hundreds of years of experience all doing the same thing can't be all wrong. I know guys have tried it and fish braid in almost every other application. I'd try to explain it but you'll use your couple exceptions to the rule as ammo to say otherwise. 

My intention for the post wasn't to come across combative. I fully understand the reasoning for mono when everyone else is using it in a line up. I to use it under certain situations. My issue is when I'm comfortable using braid for whatever reason and a local threatens his gonna cut my line cause I'm next to him, thats when ignorance prevails over the fact that we are drifting the same distance. And our lines aren't crossing. I always ask what weight they are using and will wait to see how fast the current is moving there weight. Than I will adjust my weight accordingly. I will usually use mono at the point unless I feel I need more distance on the cast. 

20 hours ago, jaeyoon said:

Ive been to the point fishing with braid shoulder to shoulder and have had the regulars tell me you can't do that and how theyre gonna cut my line. I just turn to the guys I'm with and we just laugh. I respect whats going on out there and keep things calm.

alot of contradiction in that statement.

jersey....meh..

19 hours ago, jaeyoon said:

I fully understand the reasoning for mono when everyone else is using it in a line up. I to use it under certain situations. My issue is when I'm comfortable using braid for whatever reason and a local threatens his gonna cut my line cause I'm next to him, thats when ignorance prevails over the fact that we are drifting the same distance. And our lines aren't crossing.

and no.....its NOT the drift or current or your sideways cast thats going to cross your braid over the ten guys mono beside you, its the big drum you hope to catch out there. ..and when he runs to the point your braid will likely cut all those lines that YOUR fish swam into. thats a hell of a way to make friends in a place that you arent from.

ever notice how you never see any carolina boys on the beaches up north

and excuse me if i sound bittter...but its summer

20170522_041904.jpg

if its got tits or wheels....it will give you trouble