Interesting Section in ***** about Spearfishing&Sheepshead

Rate this topic

AforArt

There was some interesting posts on the ***** fishing report yesterday and today about some people spearfishing for sheepies at the south jetty. Would be a good idea to set a creel on sheepshead? or do our waters not have enough of those fish to justify a creel? 

Also had no idea people used to be able to fish on the jetty...

Any thoughts on whats been going on?

I saw that. It's a shame if true. I tried for sheepshead at the jetty two weeks ago for the first time this year and caught 3; a buddy had 1 as well. I went back this past Friday evening to target them again and couldn't find any. I tried all along a good portion of the jetty too. Saturday morning I read the reports of spear fisherman wiping them out :(

From my experience, when you find them, you usually find a bunch, so I could see how this could happen.You don't see many rod and reel fisherman trying for them either. I'd be in support of a limit in MD. Cobia too for that matter. I usually keep a sheep, or two, and release the rest. They are delicious fish.

I've caught them into October, so there is still plenty of time for them. Hopefully more move in if the spear fishing reports are true. 

My guess is that this ends up with more regulation like the shark fishing thing in OC. Both resulting from people posting pics/ videos online.  I heard that some groups are now pushing for regulations on sheepshead. I have no problems with limits on sheepshead in MD waters. There seems to be quite a bit of drama online about fishing, pretty odd from so called "grown" men. 

John

1 hour ago, kurazy kracka said:

I believe so? I think it's that page that every time a polls is posted they seem to be all about having a 2 fish limit.

I was following bits and pieces of the out fall on FB.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but then don't go posting pics of your trip where you limited out on flounder and caught 200 ling

Don't know what the whole story is but apparently 1 charter captain may have tossed 2 others under the bus depending on how you take his statement.  

Years ago they stopped fishing on the south wall I think as I don't remember that whole ordeal but people were paying boats to run them over to the wall where they would get off the boat and fish the wall all day.  Now people are spearfishing over there and apparently wiping fish out. Then there seemed be an argument over posting fishing reports with pics.

I say everyone worry about themselves and fish.  The dirty laundry will eventually get washed. It always does.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:18 AM, castnet said:

East of the south jetty "hump" is off-limits. The rest is open. There are signs on the jetty indicating such. I have seen DNR get on people who had gone past the signs. East of the hump isn't very friendly looking anyway.

It could have been the Federal, National Park Service Rangers. MDDNR does not have jurisdiction there, I don't think.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard