Nbourque

Pogie boats

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Nbourque said:

Does these all get sold for lobster bait?

fish oil......

Edited by Tlacey21walden

No the stripers and the flounder go to the Mass. market.:mad:

Are you sure they are not inshore herring boats?  That season recently opened and that's a popular spot to net herring. The pogy quota was already filled this year!!

Maine fishermen already have caught the small annual quota of 166,000 pounds of menhaden, or pogy, a small, oily fish that is a popular backup lobster bait. As a result, interstate regulators just approved Maine’s request to dip into a regional set-aside that allows states to exceed their quota when the pogies still are running strong. As of last week, about 14 boats have landed about 1.65 million pounds in Maine. PPH

10 minutes ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

Are you sure they are not inshore herring boats?  That season recently opened and that's a popular spot to net herring. The pogy quota was already filled this year!!

Maine fishermen already have caught the small annual quota of 166,000 pounds of menhaden, or pogy, a small, oily fish that is a popular backup lobster bait. As a result, interstate regulators just approved Maine’s request to dip into a regional set-aside that allows states to exceed their quota when the pogies still are running strong. As of last week, about 14 boats have landed about 1.65 million pounds in Maine. PPH

I'm not exactly sure what kinda boats they were. I just assumed pogies. 

They are after the herring. While checking my lobster pots early this morning we drove through a school maybe half a mile wide and the water was boiling. Not long after there was a boat on them unfortunately.