Newbie trys to build plugs

Rate this topic

ADTR14

4 hours ago, Fishscales13 said:

Pretty cool plugs and thread. Interested to see what was causing your epoxy issues. 

Thanks! Not too sure to be honest. Maybe just too slow with the working time of BSI? I have since switched to Etex and have gone through the same process with much better results and no issues. Should have a new batch to post later this week

First off, nice plugs! I also use the BSI epoxy and I can confirm that using a heat gun/hairdryer is a bad idea. It creates air bubbles and makes everything uneven. I just apply it with a trimmed acid brush, thin. I do two coats and my finishes are decent. Have yet to use Etex, but will when I run out of the BSI.

16 hours ago, greenleaf79 said:

First off, nice plugs! I also use the BSI epoxy and I can confirm that using a heat gun/hairdryer is a bad idea. It creates air bubbles and makes everything uneven. I just apply it with a trimmed acid brush, thin. I do two coats and my finishes are decent. Have yet to use Etex, but will when I run out of the BSI.

Etex is definitely the way to go! I've yet to have the bubbling issue that people have with it....(knock on wood lures). What I haven't tried with it yet are the foam brushes. I heard the disposable sponge brushes are great because you don't put on as thick a coat as the trimmed acid brush and the coat looks alot cleaner. Will try that soon!

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

7 minutes ago, lonellr said:

Etex is definitely the way to go! I've yet to have the bubbling issue that people have with it....(knock on wood lures). What I haven't tried with it yet are the foam brushes. I heard the disposable sponge brushes are great because you don't put on as thick a coat as the trimmed acid brush and the coat looks alot cleaner. Will try that soon!

Never thought about using foam brushes, but will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

15 hours ago, greenleaf79 said:

Never thought about using foam brushes, but will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've got a few foam brushes, might have to give it a shot as well

Thanks lonellr!

Outstanding post ADTR14!!!

Your plugs look great. I just bought a small lathe and am going to attempt to make some plugs. I've been carving my own duck decoys for a while so naturally I figured it was time to start turning my own plugs also. Thanks for the step by step 

A handful more that are finished. I'm making some improvement here and there, but still don't quite have the consistency I'd like. Just takes time and practice I assume.
Had my first short test to see if the fish approve. Not really the time for stripers around here but I did have one schoolie follower and hooked up to two green bass, that I promptly lost close to the kayak. Gives me a little hope at least! Can't wait to build some other types and sizes for my Baja trips. I need to make something that dives...
K69vnGk.jpg
bwZ0xpz.jpg
fBD6Zee.jpg
Xzz77SM.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Well the madness has hit me! While I really appreciated using our family friend's shop, (and I think he enjoyed having me since he's in an all girl household) I didn't want to wear out my welcome. So I began looking around for a lathe. Quite a few guys that build lures use the Harbor Freight lathe with little to no complaints, but I've never been a huge fan of their stuff. Woodcraft happened to have a sale on Rikon products, which seem like better quality and have a 5 year warranty. Price wasn't much more when they were on sale.

I'll be looking to purchase a band saw and belt/disc sander sometime in the near future, as well.

I also picked up some turning tools and some Poplar to try some different wood. The past couple days I've been working on some new styles and sizes to try, along with some different profiles (skinny vs fat). For size reference, the big popper is 7.5" and the needle next to it is 8".

I need to re-supply on some hardware and I can get back to building.
tDYuJ8o.jpg
Sqb2BiF.jpg
1yBgXUy.jpg

I've been doing a ton of searching on this site and have been able to find answers to any questions I've had, but I still manage to make mistakes lol. I screwed up on the 5.5" pikie bodies I made. For some reason I was thinking it was a center thru-hole and not a center lip slot :banghd:

I think I'll try to fill it before I cut the slot and see how it turns out. Looking forward to getting these built. I think if I can get them to swim right in current they'll be really effective in the rivers and delta around here.

I know most of the builders don't post unless its technical type questions, but I just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of info that can be found here.

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2017 at 8:48 PM, ADTR14 said:

Also went to the local river in the evening to test the "Lyman" type lures. They had better action than I anticipated, other than one that I drilled the screw eye crooked and it pulled slightly to the left. I drilled them free hand so when I drilled the others I used the press and had more accurate results. Lastly I sealed all the lures and let them hang for drying. Might start painting tomorrow or Wednesday.

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Reviving an old thread... 

I’m new to the forum so please excuse me..

I too am getting started with building wood trolling plugs but am curious how you were able to make the shovel/mouth of the lure? 

I have a 1 inch cylindrical burr bit but am wondering if I need a spindle sander to make it look and hopefully perform like the old Lyman’s. 

Great write up too BTW!!