MarkNY

Tips for tying with EP and SF fibers?

21 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Philly said:

Like Sngl12th, I do a very light coat on the body of the fly back to the bend of the hook.  Right now I'm using CCG Hydro when that runs out I'll have to experiment with something else.   Not sure you can see it on this PB fly.  I've coated the head an eyes with thicker UV resin, and from there to the bend has that light coat of the Hydro.  It will hold the wide body shape when in the water with the back half providing the action.  

I like for hooks SC15 and it's freshwater equivalent or any round bend hook.  In the first picture I posted.  The larger fly is tied on a Varivas hook,  the smaller one on a  SC15  and the bunker fly is tied on a SC 15 

PBCU.jpg

Beautiful.

Is the ''Hydro'' like Loon THIN uv resin ?

^..^

I don't know.  I have a bottle of Loon UV Clear Fly Finish Flow.  The label says it can be used  for head cement which was one of the uses of Hydro.   I've got to start working on some small sunfish patterns for the fall South Jersey CFR retreat.  The bass in the lake key on the small sunfish.  It would nice to have the lady I'll be guiding catch a nice bass.  Let me give it a shot on one or another PB pattern and see how it works.

When making a bunker fly , how do you turn the hook around and make it weedless.  Same with the sand eels?  I get confused on which way the hook should be sometimes?   The top is always the darker color and you want it to ride on top? 

its been a couple of weeks here so I'll stay on topic sort of : EP / SF fibers to me its an imitation / synthetic to Yak Hair ?  if so is the  Natural  Yak Hair to EP&SF a better casting material in a sense of wind resistance ? 

On 8/6/2017 at 7:32 PM, Philly said:

I don't know.  I have a bottle of Loon UV Clear Fly Finish Flow.  The label says it can be used  for head cement which was one of the uses of Hydro.   I've got to start working on some small sunfish patterns for the fall South Jersey CFR retreat.  The bass in the lake key on the small sunfish.  It would nice to have the lady I'll be guiding catch a nice bass.  Let me give it a shot on one or another PB pattern and see how it works.

Philly what's the material on that peanut fly with hyrdo? Not that I need to get into another material.

Sng12th, the material is Senyo Lazer Dubbing.  I've been using it for all my small, 3 inches or less, bait fish patterns.  Flash/Sparkle is part of the material and it's self tapering so I don't have to trim it to shape.