Rookie Jeep wrangler soft top question

jkrock

A month or so ago, my wife decided she couldn't live without a jeep wrangler, and went out and bought a used (2015) jeep wrangler Jk.  it's a 2 door with the 3 piece freedom top hard top.

I'd like to get her a soft top for it to use in the summer, and i see factory ones for fairly short money on craigslist with "all hardware". 

My question:

Since this jeep has a hard top, are there additional things I need to put a soft top on(like channels over the doors or over the windshield), or does the factory soft top just attach to the factory doors/windshield without modification?

Sorry if this is a dumb question,  I'm not  a jeep guy.

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

This is really question for the various JK forums, where this question is discussed more that Van Staal reels are discussed here.  The consensus is any of Bestop soft tops are the best.  The Bestop Trektop NX is what I have and is a consensus favorite.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 10:57 AM, jkrock said:

A month or so ago, my wife decided she couldn't live without a jeep wrangler, and went out and bought a used (2015) jeep wrangler Jk.  it's a 2 door with the 3 piece freedom top hard top.

I'd like to get her a soft top for it to use in the summer, and i see factory ones for fairly short money on craigslist with "all hardware". 

My question:

Since this jeep has a hard top, are there additional things I need to put a soft top on(like channels over the doors or over the windshield), or does the factory soft top just attach to the factory doors/windshield without modification?

Sorry if this is a dumb question,  I'm not  a jeep guy.

Yes there are additional pieces that attach over the doors. They should be included with the factory top though if "all hardware" is mentioned.

Most of the Ebay listings that say all hardware included mean the frame hardware and will not include the door molding, the rear bar attachment or the header plate, so count on another $150 or so for it.  BestTop makes a frameless top that sets on the roll cage that is well liked because it stows neatly (the windows go into pockets in the top) and is quieter (relatively...it IS a Jeep) do to the somewhat fastback design.  It is also reasonably priced for what you want.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day of working! Bruce