Single vs. Double footed guides

Rate this topic

Wildcard777

Single foot guides are strong enough for just about any inshore/surf application (except heavy conventional rods). Just don't bang the rod around so you knock them out of alignment. The fact that you only have one wrap on one foot (even if you use the cross thread locking wrap technique when you wrap the guide) will not stop the guide from twisting out of alignment if you consistently drop the rod on hard surfaces or bang the guides when handling the rod (such as taking the rod in and out of a rod rack or your vehicle).

Edited by Joe2143

Sooo, I just got a nice fiber star with double foot guides and a Phenix rod with single. I have no problems with the doubles but I feel like the singles are always getting bent out of alignment. The doubles are just much more solid.

That said, I would imagine that production costs drive manufacturers to sf guides. And even on rods approaching $300 they use lower quality guides to offset the higher cost of production in the U.S. The point being, go spend the money on TI single foots, fish them hard for a couple months, and let us know what you think!

17 hours ago, finchaser said:

I repair rods for 2 shops and replace single foot 2 to 1

Are the ones you are replacing on cheap factory rods or rods with fuji K-Frames? Reason I ask is when I was doing repairs for shops I was always replacing those cheap single foots that were poorly wrapped on cheap factory rods.

Question for builders, do you underwrap for single foot guides? I have always thought a good underwrap, which is given a light coat of finish to "lock" the wraps to the blank's surface, makes guide shifting less likely. That is, the single foot can "lock"itself into the thread underwrap better than onto the hard blank surface. 

Valid? 

Yes, and the additional weight of the underwrap will negate the marginal weight savings of a single wrap but I always thought the preference for single foot had more to do with reduced blank rigidity than wrap weight. 

Edited by tomkaz

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

For me it depends on where and how I plan to fish.  My 9 ft which I use in the Spring on the beach and back water is all single foot...larger plugging rods for the canal, breach way and beach have double foot reduction guides and single foot running guides...jigging rods, or when I'm wading to boulders, are all double foot.

6 hours ago, redhawk19 said:

Are the ones you are replacing on cheap factory rods or rods with fuji K-Frames? Reason I ask is when I was doing repairs for shops I was always replacing those cheap single foots that were poorly wrapped on cheap factory rods.

Both mostly the factory

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

11 minutes ago, finchaser said:

Both mostly the factory

Zigactly.

You get quality factory rods with good quides and good workmanship and mediocre to piss-poor factory rods that use cheap guides with poor quality frames and (possibly) poor quality thread and epoxy work.

A $50 rod cannot be expected to be of the same quality of components and workmanship as one of $300. Rods are built to a budget.

I use both single and doubles on my own and client's plugging rods. Single vs double will depend on application and abuse I see it might be subjected to.

I like the weight savings and ease of wrapping the single foots.  BUT, if durability is foremost, go with the double foots.  I'm always straightening out the bent single foots.  They usually bend in transit/storage.  As far as single foots loosening up, that means your builder is inexperienced in how to wrap rods.

• 1 month later...

Underwraps aren't necessary. Make sure to fill the "tunnel" on either side of the guide foot with your finish to help secure the guide foot. Color preserver- if you use it- also serves as a "thread lock". (epoxy not so much; it's more of a sit-on-top finish.)

Tomaz

SL is do do mainly with weight reduction on rods that will benefit from it. 

Guides have very little effect on the rigidity of the blank. That is determined by the design of the blank.

Under wrapping a SL guide will not make it more secure.

Done correctly SL guides stay put very well.

Mike