Gamakatsu

Terrorism vs garden variety mass murder

64 posts in this topic

I understand that perfectly. Isn't the more logical reaction to go after the jihadis? Reducing our own freedoms is only about stopping the attacks and has little impact on the ideology, which I agree is a far greater threat than the attacks themselves.

When you tell me how to separate the Jihadis from their global belief system and the millions that agree with them, I'll be better able to answer that question.

How would you have reacted to 9/11?

By going after OBL in Afghanistan along with those who gave him cover (The Taliban) and by making prudent changes in security without encroaching on the Constitutional rights of our citizens.

Where's the threads freaking out about Muslim birthrates vs the rest of the world? That's more concerning to me than some lunatic with an Econoline van. Spying on me does nothing to address the former, which is what can ultimately alter the landscape.

Unfortunately, "spying on you" is the result of an avoidance of "profiling".  In a more results driven society, we would be "spying" on potential jihadis... in our society, we have to do security checks on 89 year old grandmothers from North Dakota just to keep the numbers in line.

When you tell me how to separate the Jihadis from their global belief system and the millions that agree with them, I'll be better able to answer that question.

There's only so much we can do about their global belief system as you call it. Attacking the 1st and 4th Amendments does nothing to stop it, but does alter our values as a nation.

The only facet between the two that are equal are that all lost lives are equally as tragic...everything else about these are different. If you have a solitary loon who commits mass murder, but then is captured or killed, at least you can breath a sigh of relief that the danger has passed...in a terror attack, led by a larger movement, you can't say that because regardless of whether the perps involved in the attack are dead, you can surely bet there are more

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, "spying on you" is the result of an avoidance of "profiling".  In a more results driven society, we would be "spying" on potential jihadis... in our society, we have to do security checks on 89 year old grandmothers from North Dakota just to keep the numbers in line.

100% agree. I've been through security lines in Europe and they absolutely, unequivocally zero in on Middle Easterners for a closer look. However, IMO it's more a government power grab over the people than a reaction to the limits on profiling.

Edited by Gamakatsu

The only facet between the two that are equal are that all lost lives are equally as tragic...everything else about these are different. If you have a solitary loon who commits mass murder, but then is captured or killed, at least you can breath a sigh of relief that the danger has passed...in a terror attack, led by a larger movement, you can't say that because regardless of whether the perps involved in the attack are dead, you can surely bet there are more

And there will always be another raging lunatic.

There's only so much we can do about their global belief system as you call it. Attacking the 1st and 4th Amendments does nothing to stop it, but does alter our values as a nation.

are you ok with surveilling mosques?

Posted (edited)

are you ok with surveilling mosques?

I'm fine with it when there probable cause, just the same as if they surveilled a church if a priest was suspected of molesting children.

Edited by Gamakatsu

That's based on odds...ISIS planning strikes is a known

So is the fact that there is a loon out there planning to shoot up a school or a movie theater.

I'm fine with it when there probable cause, just the same as if they surveilled a church if a priest was suspected of molesting children.

why the need to qualify it by adding a church reference?

Posted (edited)

why the need to qualify it by adding a church reference?

Because the odds of finding a kid toucher in a church are (were) about the same as finding a terrorist in a mosque, probably higher at one time.

Edited by Gamakatsu