Gamakatsu

Terrorism vs garden variety mass murder

64 posts in this topic

Help me a bit to understand why one brings about fits of rage and panic while the other gets a bit more than a yawn. I get that terrorism is connected to a larger plan to alter who and what we are. They have been partially successful, not because of the actual attacks but because our fear and panic has given governments carte blanche to meddle in our lives. If we reacted to terrorism the same way that we reacted to some guy going postal at his job, we'd still be as free as we ever were. For some reason people are more willing to give up their 1st and 4th Amendment rights as a reaction to terrorism, but not their 2nd Amendment rights as a reaction to a lunatic with a gun. Personally, I don't like the idea of giving up any of them. I will always value personal freedom over "security" at the expense of personal freedom.

. I get that terrorism is connected to a larger plan to alter who and what we are.

There's part of it right there.

Also, the guy who goes postal at work is never going to pull off a Sept 11th.

One is random and one is a way of life that seeks to destroy all infidels.

There's part of it right there.

Also, the guy who goes postal at work is never going to pull off a Sept 11th.

One is random and one is a way of life that seeks to destroy all infidels.

We can be prudent within the confines of the Constitution to prevent that from happening again. I HATE that the animals got us to cave in on our freedoms that day.

This has nothing to do with American "freedoms".  Jihad is an Islamic imperative... they couldn't care less about how you react.

This has nothing to do with American "freedoms".  Jihad is an Islamic imperative... they couldn't care less about how you react.

It has everything to how we react. By attacking us, terrorists want all Muslims to feel persecuted and to create a chasm between them and us. It's working.

As bad as the outcomes are the goals are the issue.

Random psychos, representing a fractional percentage of the population, just want max damage at that moment with no coherent rationale. Preventing whenever possible is the goal but there's no specific coherent thread.

Jihadi's, representing a significant percent of an organization with 1 billion adherents, are just the tip of their spear. They're connected to hundreds of millions of people with the same goal. They want to control everything you are and everything you have. They literally want to take over the world. Killing people is only part of the strategy. 

It has everything to how we react. By attacking us, terrorists want all Muslims to feel persecuted and to create a chasm between them and us. It's working.

The chasm is built into the belief system, you're not going to change that. You may motivate a few more people but the culture is about deeds not word. The reason for their historical, and current success is that their philosophy is extremely efficient at dominating more placid cultures.

islamists ***don't care*** how we/you  feel or REACT, like Slacker said, they're ONLY interested in World domination AS THEY SEE IT.....under sharia law

they think they're "entitled" to anything and everything ..... if you won't accept their domination they'll impose it on you

get it ?   :shrug: 

As bad as the outcomes are the goals are the issue.

Random psychos, representing a fractional percentage of the population, just want max damage at that moment with no coherent rationale. Preventing whenever possible is the goal but there's no specific coherent thread.

Jihadi's, representing a significant percent of an organization with 1 billion adherents, are just the tip of their spear. They're connected to hundreds of millions of people with the same goal. They want to control everything you are and everything you have. They literally want to take over the world. Killing people is only part of the strategy. 

I understand that perfectly. Isn't the more logical reaction to go after the jihadis? Reducing our own freedoms is only about stopping the attacks and has little impact on the ideology, which I agree is a far greater threat than the attacks themselves.

The chasm is that you are the infidel.  Islam provides a few remedies for dealing with infidels and none of them are "tolerance".  The only thing that slows them down in the West is the lack of critical mass.

I HATE that the animals got us to cave in on our freedoms that day.

How would you have reacted to 9/11?

Where's the threads freaking out about Muslim birthrates vs the rest of the world? That's more concerning to me than some lunatic with an Econoline van. Spying on me does nothing to address the former, which is what can ultimately alter the landscape.

islamists ***don't care*** how we/you  feel or REACT, like Slacker said, they're ONLY interested in World domination AS THEY SEE IT.....under sharia law

they think they're "entitled" to anything and everything ..... if you won't accept their domination they'll impose it on you

get it ?   :shrug:

Look at most of the cultures where they dominate, do you see any places of worship for any other religious organization. They grind you down and they don't let you back up. You stay a permanent subclass or you submit. Even in the past 50 years, look what happened in Lebanon, now in Egypt, and Iraq.