Martha's Vineyard

Rate this topic

Long weekend next week, Thursday will be spent touring Martha's Vineyard with my wife. Only going to be there from 10AM until 3PM, are there any must sees? Gay Head Cliffs worth the trip?Edgartown?Lighthouses? Kennedy's Bridge? I've researched quite a bit, doesn't appear to be my kind of place, too many shoppes and villages.

Then headed to Truro for 4 nights and back home on Monday. We've been to the Cape over 30 times, never visited MV so it is time. 

I'm worried 6 hours is gonna be a long day on MV. I can waste an hour eating lunch, maybe grab a taxi and take a 2-3 hour tour or even succumb to one of those group tours I despise, theres always some ah in the crowd craving attention. I would like to see the island though, looking for the best way to spend 6 hours there. Restaurant suggestions welcomed too, lunch will be the choice.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Fishing is he best way to spend 6 hours on the Vineyard.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. 

Assuming you are ferrying over a car, I suggest you drive up island away from most of the crowds and check out menemsha, lobsterville, and maybe stonewall beach (Squibnocket beach) or Lucy Vincent.  I think the town beaches are still open for parking without a sticker.  You probably would have to pay to see the cliffs at Aquinnah.

Gayhead for certain.  Check out the cliffs from above and below.  Pretend you're scouting to fish it.  It is hallowed water.  Good place also for a long beach walk towards Squibnocket.  Stop in Menemsha for lunch. Edgartown is pretty (old whaling town), high end shops and worth a visit.  Oak Bluffs and VH are busier venues, lots of more mundane tourist fair.  Good places to grab an icecream or beer while awaiting the ferry.   I'd pass on Chappy unless you have a beach permit and want to fish for bluefish. 

It takes 45 mins to get across to up island from the ferrys so 6 hours isn't going to give you a real good look. Head to squibnocket and/or Lucy Vincent beach, stop at menemsha for lunch, hit lake tashmoo on your way back to the ferry.

Or plan b is head to edgartown and set up shop at a bar and watch the on time ferry go back and forth

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

Most town parking restrictions at beaches won't be in effect during early June. At Gay Head, you should be able to park for free in the Land Bank lot. It also has a path/boardwalk to the beach at the base of the cliffs.

If you're going with family, be aware that Lucy Vincent beach is legally clothing-optional, and the beach under the cliffs is "unofficially" the same. Unless things have changed.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Forget the Kennedy Bridge on Chappy, the original bridge is long gone.  Gay Head is worth the trip up island.  6 hours isn't much time.  Lucy Vincent & Squibby aren't well marked so you'll be pressed for time searching.  Menensha is a lovely spot.  I don't care for the tourist bus tour either, but it will give you a good overview of the island itself.

Most town parking restrictions at beaches won't be in effect during early June. At Gay Head, you should be able to park for free in the Land Bank lot. It also has a path/boardwalk to the beach at the base of the cliffs.

If you're going with family, be aware that Lucy Vincent beach is legally clothing-optional, and the beach under the cliffs is "unofficially" the same. Unless things have changed.

I'm told noted lawyer Allen Dershowitz frequents this beach. Every time I see him on tv I think of him naked on a beach, in public, in daylight. :dismay:

The Sultan of Sluggo

The clothing optional part is a good walk to the left from the entrance to the beach. Probably about a 1/4 mile past what's left of the cliffs. Prior to that point you won't find anybody walking around sans swimwear. Hell with the temps the way they have been I doubt that's an issue this weekend anyway

Island livin

If you hate crowds but enjoy the nature aspect head up to the parking area at Lobsterville Beach, between Menemsha and Gay Head. Park the car and take a long walk towards Gay Head. North facing beach, views of Cuttyhunk, Gosnold, Nauson islands. Should be real quiet, houses are far enough back off the beach that the landowners don't bother to get pissy. Watch out for the bird nesting areas...you'll come back a different color than you were going in. 

The only good part on chappy is wasque if your with your wife.

Otherwise, go to Menemsha, Gay Head.

You should plan on lobster rolls at larsen's shack in menemsha for lunch, go to gay head first, work your way back.  Then, before you hit the ferry, hit the dockside pubs in OB.  Try the Katama Mama at Gunner's tavern. 

Salty part-time writer, full-time fishing fool...