codfish

whats up with all these fish up to 50 inches for 2017

90 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To target big fish you need to have a big fish mindset.

First it starts with preparation, your gear, braid, leader, hooks and plugs need to be set up for big fish. If a 28 lb fish takes you for a 50+ yd run in the canal, either your drag's too light, your gear is too light or you are perfectly happy with playing with that size fish and dont care much about landing that 40 or 50 pounder. If a 28 lb fish takes 50 yds of line a 40 pounder may damn near spool you. If your hooks are bending on 25 lb fish a 40 pounder will mangle them.

Also, when you land that 25 pounder rather than hooting and hollering and taking pictures and measurements, get the hook out of the fish put the fish back in the water and get your offering back out there for the real cow.

Other big fish mentality behaviors include: 

-waiting for the right breaking fish to cast at rather than casting at every break you see.

- when fish of all sizes are around and feeding on the same bait (mackerel) you may have to pick through a lot of fish before hooking a cow. Picking through fish quickly and efficiently increases your chances of a cow

-If you have a suspicion that monsters are around but you are stuck catching schoolies to 20 lb fish- moving spots might be the ticket (especially when the current slows down)

-I have not seen much correlation with plug size and fish size at the canal so I do not suggest upsizing plugs looking for bigger fish.

Overall, the biggest part of a big fish mentality is never being satisfied. On days when you are catching dozens of 25 pounders don't settle for that even though it may be your best day of the season, keep going keep looking for that cow.

Edited by Pescador710

14 hours ago, codfish said:

Yiks thanks for sharing, It backs up what a friend said the other day "2016 I caught 1 50 lb fish in the Canal, this year I did it 4 days in a row"

Seems far fetched, any pics of all these back to back 50s?  "Formula", actual scale, or just a guess at weight?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I've found that by using plastics with larger, thicker profiles I seem to take larger fish. I have a surf hogg mold I made years ago that has done well for me.

I agree with Bob G.  I'm tossing 13"-16" size baits and these big bass through some of the season hung out with smaller teen size bass. We won't say a small won't hit a big bait but since I don't hook many small when tossing big it's absolutely worth tossing large  at night for large  in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, toekneeo said:

Seems far fetched, any pics of all these back to back 50s?  "Formula", actual scale, or just a guess at weight?

I believe him. There is no reason for him to fib. I don't stack up 50" class or 50lb and over either. 

I think I got lucky on a few nights to be honest. When your out there with side imaging it definitely ups the ante.  A canal guy or shore guy doesn't have that which makes it more special when they jam em. 

6 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

How would  one "target" larger fish on the canal? I did get into some beauties when they were around but to target them is it just fish more or larger offerings? It was basically the same half dozen lures everybody was using.

Maybe big grs plugs at night?

I don't think there's anything you could throw that a 50-pounder would eat and a 25-pounder wouldn't. In a blitz like the ones this summer, getting through the "smaller" 20- to 30-pound fish to the monsters definitely takes a bit of luck. There were waves of larger fish, and if you were tangled up with a 25 pounder when they moved through, you'd be stuck waiting for the guy up-current of you to land his 45.

Slower presentations, keeping right on the bottom, fishing through the slack could weed out a big one, but I tried it all in those blitzes and had nothing over 40 pounds, while I saw magic swimmers and SP Minnows ripped across the surface take substantially larger fish.

However, a widely-used tactic that seems to work best at catching extra-large bass in a Canal blitz is to not actually weigh the fish, and then add a few pounds a generous estimate of the weight before telling friends. 

7 minutes ago, FishinFEEver said:

I don't think there's anything you could throw that a 50-pounder would eat and a 25-pounder wouldn't. In a blitz like the ones this summer, getting through the "smaller" 20- to 30-pound fish to the monsters definitely takes a bit of luck. There were waves of larger fish, and if you were tangled up with a 25 pounder when they moved through, you'd be stuck waiting for the guy up-current of you to land his 45.

Slower presentations, keeping right on the bottom, fishing through the slack could weed out a big one, but I tried it all in those blitzes and had nothing over 40 pounds, while I saw magic swimmers and SP Minnows ripped across the surface take substantially larger fish.

However, a widely-used tactic that seems to work best at catching extra-large bass in a Canal blitz is to not actually weigh the fish, and then add a few pounds a generous estimate of the weight before telling friends. 

An even better tactic is to tie bad knots and then when your line breaks, you can say it had to be because the fish was 50lbs.

21 minutes ago, FishinFEEver said:

Very widely used tactic.....most of the "50s"...sure look like 36-42# fish in the pics...But whatever, it is the canal and you can call them whatever you want. Can't wait til someone claims a 80-90#.....oops, someone did a few years ago...Formula...lol

9 minutes ago, Reed422 said:

You guys are way too obsessed with 50lb fish. 

Agree. 

What the hell is wrong with 20-30lb fish? :laugh:  IMO a 50 pounder in the canal is an anomaly. Like a hole in one. They're few and far between, and the only way you can plan for one is to be prepared and have your gear up to snuff.

That said, I have no problem catching smaller fish, and enjoy every one.

I also think a lot of fish were weighed in this summer where the guy who caught it was convinced we had a 50, only to learn he had a 30.

Just now, bob_G said:

Agree. 

What the hell is wrong with 20-30lb fish? :laugh:  IMO a 50 pounder in the canal is an anomaly. Like a hole in one. They're few and far between, and the only way you can plan for one is to be prepared and have your gear up to snuff.

That said, I have no problem catching smaller fish, and enjoy every one.

I also think a lot of fish were weighed in this summer where the guy who caught it was convinced we had a 50, only to learn he had a 30.

exactly! At what point does it go from fun to obsession? Like a 42lb fish is bad but 50 is good?

I think most "serious" striper fisherpeople go through a phase, probably after what they consider their first "big fish"

honestly what I believe we are witnessing is the maturation of a couple of good year classes that have survived the onslaught.

If we can just keep the bait around...

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

rrbf,

I've tried to target large fish jigging at night with modest success. The problem with the canal is, at night the large fish often feed at the very end of the tide. The slow water stage. They just won't expend all that energy chasing small bait in the dark the way fish half their size will. So right there you're window is limited.

The other thing is lure size. I've experimented with oversized jigs for years, with limited success. One fall I took my best fish of the season on an oversize hybrid jig I made. But the problem there was, the lure was so big, smaller fish, even small keepers, wouldn't get hooked. So whatever large fish I was getting, was more or less by default.

I've found that by using plastics with larger, thicker profiles I seem to take larger fish. I have a surf hogg mold I made years ago that has done well for me.

Bob this is very interesting thanks for sharing, I have always had good luck with the ronz tails and wondered about sluggo heads being smaller. But sometimes anything goes. 

3 hours ago, Pescador710 said:

To target big fish you need to have a big fish mindset.

First it starts with preparation, your gear, braid, leader, hooks and plugs need to be set up for big fish. If a 28 lb fish takes you for a 50+ yd run in the canal, either your drag's too light, your gear is too light or you are perfectly happy with playing with that size fish and dont care much about landing that 40 or 50 pounder. If a 28 lb fish takes 50 yds of line a 40 pounder may damn near spool you. If your hooks are bending on 25 lb fish a 40 pounder will mangle them.

Also, when you land that 25 pounder rather than hooting and hollering and taking pictures and measurements, get the hook out of the fish put the fish back in the water and get your offering back out there for the real cow.

Other big fish mentality behaviors include: 

-waiting for the right breaking fish to cast at rather than casting at every break you see.

- when fish of all sizes are around and feeding on the same bait (mackerel) you may have to pick through a lot of fish before hooking a cow. Picking through fish quickly and efficiently increases your chances of a cow

-If you have a suspicion that monsters are around but you are stuck catching schoolies to 20 lb fish- moving spots might be the ticket (especially when the current slows down)

-I have not seen much correlation with plug size and fish size at the canal so I do not suggest upsizing plugs looking for bigger fish.

Overall, the biggest part of a big fish mentality is never being satisfied. On days when you are catching dozens of 25 pounders don't settle for that even though it may be your best day of the season, keep going keep looking for that cow.

I agree with your points here. Big heavy gear to winch them in. Only need short casts. 

3 hours ago, FishinFEEver said:

I have had fish turn away at my feet from different plugs but they we're big and small fish and when I switched back both big and small would hit. 

I think some luck is definitely needed but that if all is up to snuff. 

Good stuff guys maybe I can start a thread on it. 

My friend who said "4 consecutive 50s during the crazy Canal blitz is quite honest" but that said I am just taking his word, another friend who is a Canal regular told me of a night of fishing where his hooks on his canal jigs were turned into straight pins twice I guess the moral of this thread is what will be the size of the fish be next year and will your gear be up to the task of 50 plus pound fish in heavy current?? what say you?? 

IMG_3937.jpg

I will be 100 % ready codfish.  I have a 9'6 heavy duty conv. Rod with a winch reel with heavy line. I'll set it up with a MS and be ready. I wonder how fast I can winch one in? Something is bound to brake with all force and no drag...... 

i am with the "who gives a____ how big a fish is"" guys who have caught many large fish rarely talk about them,its just part of the game we play. i have to laugh when i hear "targeting large''don't know many seroius anglers who target small fish.that is one of the great things about fishing the salt,you never know how big a creature you might hookup.guys that catch large fish do so because they know were the large fish are and they know how to get their offering in front of the fish.the luck comes into play in landing the fish many variables come into play,where you are fishing,how the fish is hooked.my hats off to anyone who lands a 50 4 days in a row at the canal