codfish

whats up with all these fish up to 50 inches for 2017

91 posts in this topic

Not sure about bass but I have had a blue fish latch onto a striper and deskin it, any of you guys had a bass eat a bass or a blue fish eat a bass??

I had a friend who fished offshore often. He gave me a batch of huge blues he caught offshore. Some to smoke, some for lobster bait. When he cleaned them they were full of baby sharks.

Not sure about bass but I have had a blue fish latch onto a striper and deskin it, any of you guys had a bass eat a bass or a blue fish eat a bass??

Codfish. Years ago in cotuit (on two different occasions) I found a small striper chopped in half by a large bluefish. One of the stripers was still alive, floating around near a jetty and missing half its body. It was about a 15" sized bass and I put it out of its misery.

Another time in the same area I caught a bluefish with a whole bass chopped in two inside its belly

"Sand eel" love the name, your post is food for thought

Thanks codfish…Glad you like the theory..might be a stretch but I'm believing it..

Posted (edited)

Codfish. Years ago in cotuit (on two different occasions) I found a small striper chopped in half by a large bluefish. One of the stripers was still alive, floating around near a jetty and missing half its body. It was about a 15" sized bass and I put it out of its misery.

Another time in the same area I caught a bluefish with a whole bass chopped in two inside its belly

I saw a bass at that same spot about 12" long swimming sans tail. Edited by Reed422

I've been catching a bunch of this size fish in a river in MA. And fish not much bigger in a bay just north of this river. This fish can't be much older than a year or two, right? I get the feeling we have some fish spawning further north than the Hudson.

post-48010-0-90545100-1496151210.jpg

I've been catching a bunch of this size fish in a river in MA. And fish not much bigger in a bay just north of this river. This fish can't be much older than a year or two, right? I get the feeling we have some fish spawning further north than the Hudson.

post-20701-0-25274000-1496262887.jpg

I got to bump this thread. When codfish first wrote it, I was looking forward to when the Boston area would be invaded with our normal June big fish run....normally in and around the New Moon period.  I was impatient at first saying, "Where are the Bass"....and then later said, "This is too easy".......I normally see a ton of 40" class up here every season. Putting in time and hunting.  For me, 50" class around Boston comes every 2-3 years I get one. This year?  5....some were over 50lbs some were 40lb class.  I fished less then I normally because of a busy work schedule, cutting my trips down to 2-3 hours quick hits in a prime tide 4-5 times a week.   I don't know if this is an indication of a crash or we just had a rare and outstanding year but I was happy to share some of the 50 moments with 2 accomplished anglers and we all had a great year. All fish swam away after giving me a nice soaking!  All 50" class caught on plastics and jig heads I make in the meth lab.

50bass.jpg

50bassII.jpg

Yiks thanks for sharing, It backs up what a friend said the other day "2016 I caught 1 50 lb fish in the Canal, this year I did it 4 days in a row"

How would  one "target" larger fish on the canal? I did get into some beauties when they were around but to target them is it just fish more or larger offerings? It was basically the same half dozen lures everybody was using.

Maybe big grs plugs at night?

5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

How would  one "target" larger fish on the canal? I did get into some beauties when they were around but to target them is it just fish more or larger offerings? It was basically the same half dozen lures everybody was using.

Maybe big grs plugs at night?

rrbf,

I've tried to target large fish jigging at night with modest success. The problem with the canal is, at night the large fish often feed at the very end of the tide. The slow water stage. They just won't expend all that energy chasing small bait in the dark the way fish half their size will. So right there you're window is limited.

The other thing is lure size. I've experimented with oversized jigs for years, with limited success. One fall I took my best fish of the season on an oversize hybrid jig I made. But the problem there was, the lure was so big, smaller fish, even small keepers, wouldn't get hooked. So whatever large fish I was getting, was more or less by default.

I've found that by using plastics with larger, thicker profiles I seem to take larger fish. I have a surf hogg mold I made years ago that has done well for me.