mericanwit

Walleyes in the Delaware

16 posts in this topic

Ok Ladies & Gents

Since I missed the shad run in the Delaware...  Was thinking how does the land based angler with kids in tow approach targeting walleyes in the Delaware? The info already passed along for the Shad fishing is greatly appreciated and is gonna have to be put to next year.

Did the google and see some places on both sides of the river that are fishy, but alas I'm clueless as to approaching walleyes and or smallies assuming that they even flock together  :eek: Guessing keep an eye on water flow, depth and matching the hatch.  I have the basics just need to know rigs, lures and types of bait.  All I see are rigs for boat fishing and we all know that boat fish don't count :D

So, like a broken record any and all info is always greatly appreciated!

So Zoom Super Flukes combined with 1/4 to 1/2 ounce jig heads do well for the walleyes. 

Posted (edited)

Walleye fishing is pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

You only need 3 lures starting out:

1/4oz jighead with a 4in chartreuse, yellow twistertails, or just get the 4in Keitech swimbaits (they will produce when other lures won't)

Size 13 Rapala Minnow in Vampire

Size 14 Rapala Husky Jerk in Helsinki Shad

The jig should always be the first lure and main lure you use in the majority of situations.

Focus on upstream locations. If there is no sweeping current with adjcent current breaks, it isn't worth fishing.

Edited by Pylodictis

Pylo pretty much summed up my approach. 1/4 Jighead and yellow/chartreuse twisters is my go to over in MD. Fried walleye is one of my favorites.

From shore I've had luck catching walleyes this time of the year a little before it gets dark. They stay pretty deep during the day. Hard to get during the day unless you are on a boat.

Phil,

are those from Big D?

Tiny little things..

Yes.

We get good ones too though. 

post-2839-0-06745400-1497182995.jpg

Ok fellas, I've spent way too much time trying to park rather than actual fishing. So, gonna need a lil info on the parking situation on that stretch of the Big D. Anyone care to pm general parking info my kids and I thank you.

Phil 

Used goog earth to narrow down areas above and below New Hope area just way too many no parking signs and my last resort is gonna be to feed the meter and walk around.

Thanks 

11 hours ago, mericanwit said:

Phil 

Used goog earth to narrow down areas above and below New Hope area just way too many no parking signs and my last resort is gonna be to feed the meter and walk around.

Thanks 

Yeah not much on the PA side in that area. I'll PM ya in the morning when I'm at the computer.