Where to buy fly materials

25 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, gman1253 said:

I have the Apex -- and still do but I tie on a Dyna-king.

Before you buy try to get your hands on one -- Bass Pro has some that you cant try on display. Gives you an idea of how the vise works, machining & smoothness,

Some things I now look for (after blowing some $ on vises)

Do you like a cam lever or screw to tighten the jaws?

Pedestal or c clamp?

Hook sizes on jaws? Or do you have to buy an extra set of jaws for larger hooks?

Do you like to have the stem & jaws horizontal or at angle?  I tie a lot of clouser type flies so I prefer horizontal (like a renzetti clouser). I find it easier to line up the hook parallel when I rotate.

Good luck... 

oops I forgot - Fly Fish Ohio had a review on vises by price point a few years back-- worthwhile reading.

Thanks for the info. I've bought an Atlas and it's been perfect for what I need it for. Its a very useful tool and I can't see tying hooks without one. 

On 5/13/2017 at 8:55 PM, WillMV said:

I am looking into starting to tie flys

Where is the best/ cheapest place where you guys buy your flys from? What are some must have materials for saltwater flies?

Nice buy on the BST forum?  500?  but a lot of good stuff?  

Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co...

They have what you're lookin' for...

If they don't have it, you don't need it, but they'll get it for you anyway...

As good as it gets...

16 hours ago, HillTop said:

Plus Scott is just an all around great guy and has one of the best beards I've every seen :)

Have you seen Jesus ?

I am no expert, but I have used Bear's Den. They are very helpful which works great for beginners as well as anyone else. I recently bought the Wolfe Atlas and It it will far exceed my skil level for quite some time. Made in USA also.

Closest shop to me is over 70 miles, so I tend to buy most stuff online. I buy from multiple sources, as I shop around, but it really depends on what I might need. Some are simply better than others for specific products, and not always because of the cheapest price. You have to understand that there are no true standards with much of what is sold for tying. For example, one sources strung hackle may be priced less than another source, but may also have less or poorer quality in the pack. Be sure if you're comparing, you know what you're comparing & are comparing apples to apples.  For example, paying $3 for bucktail pieces may not be a good value compared to paying $5 or more for a full bucktail, if those pieces turn out to be all from the base of the tail. You'll usually get "better" & more usable hair, from the full tail, even though it appears you're paying more. When possible, communicate with your supplier, and tell them what you intend to tie & see if they'll make a good selection for you. That will take some time to learn, the quality differences in various materials but do make the effort to learn about the materials & once you find sources you're happy with purchasing from, keep notes & continue buying from them.  

I've bought from all those sources mentioned, plus others. Look around, look for deals & sales, sign up for email newsletters & sale letters as that's where you'll save money on supplies, but build a core of suppliers that you may use for most tying products. You'll find that on the name brand products, regular prices don't always vary a lot with stable suppliers. 

As far as what materials you need, it can be costly to try & build up an inventory of tying supplies, and you'll never have everything you might be able to use. Seems there's always something new being added. Your budget would be best served by choosing some fly styles or patterns that you can use for where ever you intend to be fishing, and only buy the hooks & materials for those styles or patterns. Most materials today have more than enough in a pack for the average tyer to tie plenty of flies for fishing, with some left over. That means you'll be building up a stock. Buy as you need to replace what you already have used, and add as you desire to expand the pattern list. 

Make sure you understand the difference too between a pattern & a style. Just as an example, a Clouser Minnow is a style, and the pattern is the specific hook sizes, materials & colors used. There are numerous patterns for most styles and easy to spend a small fortune if you don't control your spending. :)

Fly Tyers Dungeon is hard to beat for synthetic and saltwater type materials.  It's pretty much like buying at wholesale prices, as many companies source from them and then re-sell under the own labeled brands.