Where to buy fly materials

Rate this topic

WillMV

This is like a tough one to answer because it is just so broad. You'll need a vise, bobbin, thread, hooks, bucktails in various colors, some flash material, head cement, some eyes and a whole lot of practice. Where to buy......internet or in person? This obsession is NOT CHEAP EVER, it is rewarding though. Instant gratification and you can catch a fish. WillMV if you're on the Island then you should talk to some of the guys there.

Edited by saltyh2ofly

saltwater flies website treated me good. Don't overlook the big A shop site and craft stores. Hair weaves on fleabay have feathers cheap. Edited by TimS
URL removed - please don't post URLs/links - thanks :-)

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Fishscales13 said:

What do you guys recommend as far as a good vice?  In tying up to 5/0 hooks. 

That all depends on how much money is in your budget to spend.  There are "good" vises at nearly every price point. However, "bad" vises at the higher price points are mostly better than the "good" vises at the lowest. This fly tying community will offer a wide array of opinions on what constitutes a good vise. 

As for me, I tie all of my flies on a renzetti saltwater traveller. In the past I have used Regal, HMH and Dyna-King brands. I only tie on pedestal styles.  I prefer the Renzetti to these brands purely on personal reasons.  All are good in their own way and you get what you pay for.  If you think tying is going to be a flash in the pan for you then go with a more economical brand/model.  If it is something that you see yourself doing for a while, then save a few more dollars or beg, borrow, or sell your collectible baseball cards to get the higher end model.  You will cut down on the learning curve by going with a higher end vise. 

This is just my opinion.  The other thing you can do is to use the search feature of this forum to look for discussions on this topic.  I PROMISE you there will be posts on this dating back to when the site was first implemented.  Read these as part of your review process and homework before buying.

God luck,

Kevin  

Edited by M. saxatilis
Life is too precious to fish ugly flies.

On 7/20/2017 at 10:33 AM, M. saxatilis said:

That all depends on how much money is in your budget to spend.  There are "good" vises at nearly every price point. However, "bad" vises at the higher price points are mostly better than the "good" vises at the lowest. This fly tying community will offer a wide array of opinions on what constitutes a good vise. 

As for me, I tie all of my flies on a renzetti saltwater traveller. In the past I have used Regal, HMH and Dyna-King brands. I only tie on pedestal styles.  I prefer the Renzetti to these brands purely on personal reasons.  All are good in their own way and you get what you pay for.  If you think tying is going to be a flash in the pan for you then go with a more economical brand/model.  If it is something that you see yourself doing for a while, then save a few more dollars or beg, borrow, or sell your collectible baseball cards to get the higher end model.  You will cut down on the learning curve by going with a higher end vise. 

This is just my opinion.  The other thing you can do is to use the search feature of this forum to look for discussions on this topic.  I PROMISE you there will be posts on this dating back to when the site was first implemented.  Read these as part of your review process and homework before buying.

God luck,

Kevin  

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am currently looking at a Wolff Apex. The price point seems to be reasonable for what I plan to use it for. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bear's Den always consistent. Deer Creek is good too, and has some stuff that's hard to find elsewhere.

If you are starting out take time to get good with the basics: bucktail, marabou, saddle hackles/schlappen, craft fur, and krystal flash. Many fly tiers go straight for the fancy stuff, lazer dubbing, EP, etc, and they are still making ugly heads and bad tapers.

On 7/21/2017 at 4:04 PM, Fishscales13 said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am currently looking at a Wolff Apex. The price point seems to be reasonable for what I plan to use it for. 

I have the Apex -- and still do but I tie on a Dyna-king.

Before you buy try to get your hands on one -- Bass Pro has some that you cant try on display. Gives you an idea of how the vise works, machining & smoothness,

Some things I now look for (after blowing some $ on vises)

Do you like a cam lever or screw to tighten the jaws?

Pedestal or c clamp?

Hook sizes on jaws? Or do you have to buy an extra set of jaws for larger hooks?

Do you like to have the stem & jaws horizontal or at angle?  I tie a lot of clouser type flies so I prefer horizontal (like a renzetti clouser). I find it easier to line up the hook parallel when I rotate.

Good luck... 

oops I forgot - Fly Fish Ohio had a review on vises by price point a few years back-- worthwhile reading.

Edited by gman1253