Slayah

BOSTON HARBOR REPORT 2017

178 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

was out last Friday AM. Flat clam and barely any boats. Massive schools of pogies in the inner harbor but nothing on them . Tons of micro's blitzing on the flats-- 12"-15" fish on every cast. Moved into the shore line and hooked into something sizable when blind casting, took a ton of drag then it broke me off in the rocks. 

Planning on heading out again this weekend. Hopefully something has moved in on the pogies. 

Edited by brianhfree

So school is back and the harbor is full of schoolies.  Sat after noon we had fun on ultra light gear catching 30 plus micro's.  My usual spots are not producing at the moment as all the bigs that were holding up around the harbor appear to have migrated.  Hoping for a few more big fish before the season is over.  Nothing like a big slamming your offering and ripping off line. 

Next year I may need to try Tuna and Shark fishing. 

I got bitten by snapper bluefish again. Battle scars and had one bass blowup on my 7" pencil popper in skinny water fishin from shore last week.Plenty of peanuts and rainbait.No sign of them snappers again though. 

Fished the blitzing schools of micros sunday in the rain. Fun to do for a day. Monday went out, found loads of pogies in one of the bays. No fish on them. Lived lined a few spots around the harbor. Not much going on. Managed one fish in the high 30 inches. Surprised that I haven't encountered any bluefish yet this year.

There was a big school of small snapper bluefish harassing the rain bait between hull gut and George's. Too small to take a sp. but would have been fun if it wasn't so rough today.

Tons of schooly blitzes up and down the south shore at dusk today. There were some bigger fish mixed in hitting top waters further out. In close it was all small white bucktails. 

Found a couple blitzes that were sustained for a good while with a ton of schoolies, but we were able to pull out a good number of low 30s from the pack for a while. As long as I could keep the birds off the plugs they would get hit. 

More schoolies on herring fry this morning. Some 40's taken from the beach last night. Not by me but others I know. Lots of fish moving. 

fished the harbor this morning for the first time this season.....lots of bait and tons of schoolies blitzing for hours almost everywhere I went, mostly on the small side but got a couple between 26-30 inches and hooked a very nice fish but wrapped me around some pilings and only had a 14lb leader on so it broke off. saw some big pogie schools and marked some big fish under them. Didn't see anyone fishing out there which is weird because the conditions were perfect. 

Was on an 8 am delta shuttle to Laguardia on the tarmac looking at a ton of birds with a few splashes underneath.  Did not appear to be anything of size but would much rather have been casting to them as opposed to flying to NY. 

On 9/5/2017 at 8:33 PM, giggyfish said:

There was a big school of small snapper bluefish harassing the rain bait between hull gut and George's. Too small to take a sp. but would have been fun if it wasn't so rough today.

No me on tues. ? I only got stripers 18 to 24''  The wind was something else.

It was sporty out there I would throw the sp and watch 10 snappers come boat side I was alone and did not have the time to change tactics but I'm gonna look for them again if they haven't swam south