Slayah

BOSTON HARBOR REPORT 2017

178 posts in this topic

I haven’t seen this much bait around in years. From peanuts to silversides and rain bait. Unbelievable amount of small bass as well. Good sign for the future!

Fished yesterday the last 1.5 hours of the inflow.  Shot past the crowd at the fog horn, ran over to the back side of long island.  Found  school of schoolies crashing bait against the shore.  about a dozen tight lines later it all went quiet.  I went to the fog horn where there was a charter boat with no less then 6 guys tossing live macks, and maybe 3 other boats.  I tossed a 1.5 ounce tin and landed an 18 inch fish first cast.  A guy passed by me saying he caught a few smalls but nothing more.  I moved on because I don't like to fish in a crowd and with several boats trying to drift the same spot, it was just not my idea of a relaxing night on the water.  I shot in to put some gas in the boat, but the gas dock closed 3 minutes before I landed.  Oh well have to get some next time.  I marked a number of bait balls with a lot of birds flying high above.  I am sure on the outflow the area lit up nicely with micro's but I wanted to get back in to get some diner.  All in all, lots of small fish and not a lot of signs that any big ones are cruising the harbor.  I will head out Sunday but will hit the south shore looking for at least 1 more day of bigger fish before I pull the boat for the season.   Lots of off season work to be done on it.

Wollaston was blitzing the entire length of the beach today when i drove by on the way back from work. dot bay had some birds working too. 

got 9 schoolies after work yesterday off a rocky east-facing point in winthrop. all between 12-16". 1 on a 6" yellow/white popper. rest on white bucktail. bite stopped like a switch when the sun went down.

storm came out of nowhere this morning in the harbor, marine forcast called for 2 ft seas and light showers 5-10 wind more like 30-40 wind downpours and 4-6 ft seas, couldnt make it back to the ramp in Winthrop had to dock at the closest marina in dorchester. saw couple other boats grounded along the dorchester shoreline must of got loose from mooring. anyways.... got a report of big blues and bass yesterday so thought we would find them today, only had a couple follows from some blues and just a bunch of little fish before the storm

Got out for a while this morning. Bypassed the small stripers to look for some bigger fish. Found big blues holding in about 40 feet of water. Managed to catch half a dozen. All over 10lbs with the biggest being 17lbs and 36”. What a fight!A91C165D-19E8-4DFD-900B-A024BE2C5D6B.thumb.png.a467cc0a3bb670792a0d1e3943bfc852.png

Nice!  That's rare to see those Blues around here that size in my opinion.   A true 17lber on a scale. That's awesome.

Fished a rocky shoreline just north of Boston that had been holding Macs and stripers all summer....blues have now moved in....very little luck on Macs but big blues up to 15lb on savage sand eels....also could have caught micros all day in Beverly harbor.....

Schoolies and dink/micros keeping me bzy this moning even peeling drag and smashing my plug when walking the dog.Caught 7 from shore in Quincy Bay. Tight linz

On 10/4/2017 at 5:41 PM, Juz1ish said:

Schoolies and dink/micros keeping me bzy this moning even peeling drag and smashing my plug when walking the dog.Caught 7 from shore in Quincy Bay. Tight linz

New to this surf fishing game.  What type of plug do you use? 

Its a 4.5" shad black/white belly color rapala skitter walk the dog type of lure. Peanut bunker profile shape. Topwater bite was the way that morning. Light tackle was the ticket. Good luck

Big fish are definitely still around!!! The fall run is still going strong!

Fished from shore Sunday somewhere in Broad Sound immediately after the rain stopped. With the wind still howling and not a boat in sight (unusual for my spot), I found myself all alone to a school of very large stripers. First cast with my pencil popper got taken down by a monster. Was using a cheap-o brand lure (Hurricane) and after the fish took drag for 20s my line went slack. My rear treble hook had snapped in half. Checked my drag and it was tight - barely could pull it from the reel with my hand. 

I switched over to a Tsunami pencil popper I had that I knew was made stronger. A minute later I get a 36" on the rocks next to me only to have it slip out of my hands and back into the rough water. The following 2 casts I successfully landed (2) 34" stripers. The one I kept I weighed at 17#.

The bite lasted the last 2 hrs of the flood tide. I regretfully had to leave as I had plans, but the 34" 17lb weight on my shoulder made me feel a little better. At the end of it I landed 1-36", 2-34", 1-28", and 1-24". I kept 1-34" for dinner and the rest were released in good shape. But, I can't stop thinking about the three cows I lost. I'm estimating them to be somewhere in the 40" range. The reason I say 40" range is because I landed a 39" 22lb slob from the shore a week ago and the fish I missed today took out more line than that fish did, and did it in a shorter amount of time. 

Good to know there are some cows around to peel drag still!

Saltyb92, wishing I read your post in a bit more detail yesterday.  I was out yesterday and with the wind and chop not many people were on the water. We fished Winthrop around snake island and the mooring field.  Landed a bunch of schoolies, but went looking for bigger fish so we head to Quincy bay and Neponset river where I found ... yup a lot of schoolies.  Just before dark we headed back to the dock where we ran into a lot of schoolies yet again.  Well over 30 fish in 3 plus hours but nothing bigger than 24 inches.     

found some better size schoolies today and some keepers 22"-30" not huge but better than micros. surface feeds are still everywhere in the harbor I had to keep moving from feed to feed to try to find the better size. fun morning on the water with not a single other boat out there I love this time of year!