What reel to pair with BL7030?

Rate this topic

Dah seee

one day YOU will have a nice tog on,and those Newell bearings are gonna say, sorry Mr Larsen.

THat's pretty much pure BS. TEhr eis much more likelihood, and it happens in actual real world - that somoene will set the hook with the lever drag not fully engaged and lose a fish or backlash teh reel.  The good  thing about Newells is they always work.  The new reels with tight tolerances and smoothness are wonderful until anything goes wrong with them they are unusable until they get fixed.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Better to swing and miss, than to not swing and wish you did.

Better not to swing then to swing and miss, and then wish you should have waited for the next bite..It goes both ways...

What differentiate between the 10% to the 90% is the"When to swing".

Edited by levari

THat's pretty much pure BS. TEhr eis much more likelihood, and it happens in actual real world - that somoene will set the hook with the lever drag not fully engaged and lose a fish or backlash teh reel.  The good  thing about Newells is they always work.  The new reels with tight tolerances and smoothness are wonderful until anything goes wrong with them they are unusable until they get fixed.

Someone has to teach them how to fish before they use a leverdrag. It takes at least 5 years of drifting and dropping it back to catch all the small fluke only to learn how to use your thumb on the spool. Once they learn how to catch all the 13" fluke, they're ready take the next step into leverdrags.

Classic

.........as we continue on.......

Someone has to teach them how to fish before they use a leverdrag. It takes at least 5 years of drifting and dropping it back to catch all the small fluke only to learn how to use your thumb on the spool. Once they learn how to catch all the 13" fluke, they're ready take the next step into leverdrags.

Lol that good!!

THat's pretty much pure BS. TEhr eis much more likelihood, and it happens in actual real world - that somoene will set the hook with the lever drag not fully engaged and lose a fish or backlash teh reel. The good thing about Newells is they always work. The new reels with tight tolerances and smoothness are wonderful until anything goes wrong with them they are unusable until they get fixed.

Like anything else you need to maintain it just depends on the level of maintenance. A fresh water rinse when done, I wouldn't consider a hi level of maintenance.

Telll that to my 3 Ocea Jiggers, which I love to death, and I've had for an extremely long time (first one in 2003) - I've had to replae the ARB's in  these twice per reel, the other bearings have also been replaced 2-3 times. The amount of use I get out of these, I can't complain, but compared to a Newell these are a pain in the ass. I like how you didn't address the other part about the switch not being fully engaged.

I wish I could replace all teh bearings in all of my reels with bushings, for what I do with the reels, bearings are a complete waste of money. I kmow Newells haver bearing too.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."

I have had to replace bearings on a daiwa saltist, and several newells and shimanos. All the reels worked fine with the bad bearings, but the noise they made when the spool turned let me know there was a problem.

I've always preferred star over lever drags for bottom fishing until I tried the new accurate boss valiant 300. It has discernible detents for free spool and strike so it almost fishes more like a conventional star drag. Plus, it is so light and it's weight is centered nicely on the rod bacause it doesn't have a heavy gearbox on one side. No clicker though.

Edited by quiknet

Telll that to my 3 Ocea Jiggers, which I love to death, and I've had for an extremely long time (first one in 2003) - I've had to replae the ARB's in these twice per reel, the other bearings have also been replaced 2-3 times. The amount of use I get out of these, I can't complain, but compared to a Newell these are a pain in the ass. I like how you didn't address the other part about the switch not being fully engaged.

I wish I could replace all teh bearings in all of my reels with bushings, for what I do with the reels, bearings are a complete waste of money. I kmow Newells haver bearing too.

I have not had that problem with the lever drag and I can definitely see that happening.

Why are the bearings going bad?? That's what YOU gotta find out.

Where are you buying the bearings from?

Do your grease em or use corrosion x oil? You do realize ARB shld be oiled not greased.

If YOÚ love ocean jiggers that much then spend the $ and install ceramics, they ain't cheap!!!

They are impervious to salt water.

I have had to replace bearings on a daiwa saltist, and several newells and shimanos. All the reels worked fine with the bad bearings, but the noise they made when the spool turned let me know there was a problem.

I've always preferred star over lever drags for bottom fishing until I tried the new accurate boss valiant 300. It has discernible detents for free spool and strike so it almost fishes more like a conventional star drag. Plus, it is so light and it's weight is centered nicely on the rod bacause it doesn't have a heavy gearbox on one side. No clicker though.

Exactly.

The accurate valiant bud just bought one I haven't tried it.

Exactly.

The accurate valiant bud just bought one I haven't tried it.

I have the same mindset as Dik. Seems to be an inverse relationship with price of reels vs. amount of maintenance. Star drags win in bottom fishing. I'm not talking fluking. I'm talking ling, cod, seabass, tog where clam snot, clam sand/salt, fish slime, saltwater spray are getting all over the reel. I've owned two avets and they both went to **** both within two years. Sent them back to avet but there was always something wrong with them. Just seemed like saltwater infiltrated and corroded their guts so easily. I'll admit that I didn't open these reels up after every trip and grease them down etc. but always a soap/freshwater scrub and light spray but that didn't cut it apparently. Now I've had three jigmasters and two daiwa sealine 350h and I treat them the same way as I did the avets. I've had them for 5-10 years each and have never had to do anything to them. Not anything besides a quick scrub and rinse after each trip and they still fish like the day I got them. And I fish hard and 90% of my fishing is bottom/wreck fishing. These reels are only half to a third the price of an avet. They may not look as shiny but they sure as hell are better reels for bottom fishing. There's something to be said for that.

If you enjoy taking apart reels and putting them back together, god bless ya. I'm not too mechanical of a guy so I have no interest/time/patience in doing that after every trip or every other trip. I'd rather just beat my jigmasters into the ground. A reel that one day you can be catching 2-3lb seabass with and the next day catching 20-30lb cod with. Very versatile. Some guys will say they're too heavy and too low of a gear ratio but that's BS. Unless you're tilefishing in 500 or linging in 240 at the gulhune, a 4:1 ratio is fine especially for anything inside 100 feet.

I put ceramic ball bearings in  one, the races rusted and they went  to ****. I'm not spending $300 in bearings for a reel that cost me less than $300. Think abotu what you just recommended, but the NEwells are not favorable. It's ludicrous!! My bearings go bad because I dont' fish a few times a year. WhenI was blackfishing 40 trips a year on a party boat, teh spray would wear them out. Now that I go more  than twice that- thebearings go a lot quicker. Adn the ARB's are the bigges POS in existence, $45 for a bearingthat lasts 2 years is a joke. And it's not  just  on my reels. I'm not a babysitter, I'm not  going to take my reels apart and clean them all the time. I just buy new bearings and let me friend replace them for me as need be. THat's  just teh reality of these high tolerance super smooth reels when you fish more than once or twice a week for a couples of  month a year.

I Still love my OJ's, even with these issues, teh lock switch makes it worth the hassles, and now  tha tI can make cucstom EVA handle  knob for them, even more do I like them. But to make it seem like these other workhorse reels, which actually  WORK all the time sounds like they are trash, is comical

Why not rinse a reel? You pay good money for it so why not make it last.It seems like a badge of courage or something to be proud of to not rinse it.It takes less then 5 minutes.Imagine not washing your car for a year?

And don't forget to rub claim juice, crab guys then rinse with salt water.