Anyone Catching stripes that ain't on the bottom?

Rate this topic

Livefreeordie

I've caught a few in March, but it was the bounce, wait, bounce, wait method with jig & curly/paddle tail. Any of you esteemed anglers catch any yet that weren't just looking into the mud?

Oh...I guess I'm talking from shore. I wouldn't have a clue how to catch a boat fish this early.

Any comments welcome, really. I'm just irate that I thought I could fish this afternoon, the weather and tide were perfect,and my plans got crapped on last second.

The water temp is 40-41 degrees.   where do you expect the fish to be besides on the bottom?    i don't know about mud, i don't fish any really muddy places.

I was catching more fish every night 3 weeks ago then I have been lately.  The water was warmer in early march...

I don't fish jigheads upriver, just weighted homemade 9" sluggo type soft plastic with about 1/4 oz lead in the body.

Edited by Fuzzytrout

I'm catching shorts, lurking in the mud, in the bay, from a boat, on bloods.

Which I realize isn't what you're asking, but you did say "any comments welcome."

sorry i dont mean to jack the tread but where are you getting bloodworms?

holy crap it was cold in the rain this evening. Picked up a dozen, all under 27". My buddy nailed a 35" in his first couple casts (maybe his first, IDK, he was upriver 50yrds at the time), then he didn't get another until a 12", 70 minutes later. Then, we both asked "Ready to go?" at the same time. All fish caught bounce-dragging a jighead over the mud and rocks. I have warmer/better gear...I just didn't think I'd need it (wrong)

JoeyZac...what is water temp where you're fishing? Yeah, any comments welcome.....I catch a lot of fish, but have only a medium-limited bag of tricks, so anything I can pick up....I'm listening.

Did pick one up on a 9" Sluggo with a 1/8 oz keel weight about a week ago. Cast to where I saw a baitfish break.

Pat, where/what type of area were you fishing? I'm not asking for your 'spot', but I mean, were you up a river tossing to a shallow sandbar? Or, throwing into a deep pool, or out front, type of question. I know you've been at it (catching these type of fish) for a while, and I wouldn't mind hearing a small amount of your philosophy on how to find early season fish.

I have not seen any baitfish this year, yet. But yesterday, I did see a gannet float by, and do some diving, down river. And the osprey....I saw 0 last week, a pair 3 days ago, and yesterday they were everywhere...some were diving , but I didn't see them nail a fish. I love watching the osprey do that flutter/hover, then dive maneuver.

I was fishing the upper part of the River. Probably once every few trips I'll see something break, that was the first near surface hit that I've had this winter. Tried swimmers near slack a few times without a touch.

Edited by patabate

Got a couple last night up river on the bottom...biggest was about 33 inches...some splashes about...figure it was the first trickle of herring...also saw the little known Upper Housy Sea Lion which is colloquially known as a beaver.

Nice, I fished a couple of places last weekend and this weekend.  

Didn't see any bait in the river mouths yet, was hoping to see some herring.  Bunch of guys were fishing some sandworms but no action yet.  Nice day out with the family though.  

(*member formerly known as ‘nygnyrredsoxfan’)

Ditch Troll #340