Titanic Slider

Rate this topic

sidelock

Anyone fish these flies ? While researching Tsimane Bolivia Golden Dorado trip I came across this fly and its said to be the go to fly and raises a lot of fish. Made some similar foam heads and tied a few with a different twist from the original version. Flies are 6" long and tied on 2/0 Partridge Preadator X hooks, I'm thinking the local large and small mouth bass will approve.

post-46211-0-62505800-1490550758.jpg 

post-46211-0-45548800-1490550794.jpg

post-46211-0-54786200-1490550825.jpg

post-46211-0-51427000-1490550850.jpg

post-46211-0-94299600-1490550873.jpg

post-46211-0-41302600-1490552111.jpg

Edited by sidelock

The SBS original version on flydreams calls for a 5 cm x 3.3 cm foam for a 3/0 hook but I down sized mine and tweek the V cut in the foam to fit a 2/0 hook. I just tied these so I haven't casted them yet but according to what I have read, apparently the original is responsible for a 53" Taimen, 40 lb. Golden Dorado and a 25 lb. Atlantic striper. The foam on mine is 45cm x 22cm after shaped and 45cm x 30cm when flat with a 13cm. deep V cut.

The V  needs to be cut at an angle and fit right to join together with super glue.

post-46211-0-07648600-1490559933.jpg

Chartreuse foam is 5cm. X 3.3cm as the original and the purple/fuchsia is my scaled down version . The eyes here are placed on the top half of the head but I thought they would look better on the lower half that's constantly in contact with the water so I placed them accordingly on the finished flies.

post-46211-0-13293200-1490559911.jpg

Edited by sidelock

The SBS original version on flydreams calls for a 5 cm x 3.3 cm foam for a 3/0 hook but I down sized mine and tweek the V cut in the foam to fit a 2/0 hook. I just tied these so I haven't cased them yet but according to what I have read, apparently the original is responsible for a 53" Taimen, 40 lb. Golden Dorado and a 25 lb. Atlantic striper. The foam on mine is 45cm x 22cm after shaped and 45cm x 30cm when flat with a 13cm. deep V cut.

The V  needs to be cut at an angle and fit right to join together with super glue.

attachicon.gifTitanic Slider 001.JPG

Chartreuse foam is 5cm. X 3.3cm as the original and the purple/fuchsia is the scaled down version . The eyes here are placed on the top half of the head but I thought they would look better on the lower half that's constantly in contact with the water so I placed them accordingly on the finished flies.

Awesome--thanks for the photo and explanation.

So because I can't sit still and have too much time on my hands between clients I went ahead and tinkered with this pattern. Using my minimal skills in AutoCad i drew up a bunch of these that will be to scale when you print so all you have to do is cut and trace. Once I get it printed out and made right if you guys want any I'll post it up here.

Edited by TFeuts

" A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." 

Yea, gluing the seam in the foam with CA glue and getting it to seal tight so it looks seamless without any ooze out is a little tricky and a PITA to be honest but the rest of the process is a lot of fun and they do look kinda funky. The seam on the first couple I glued (the two chartreuse tiger marked heads in the last picture) didn't turn out as clean as I would have liked to so I applied a little pearlescent Tulip Glitter Fabric Paint over the seam to clean things up. Like anything else, after the first couple of trial samples, you figure things out and the rest get better with repeats.  Hope they are as much fun to fish as they are to tie and fish as good as they look

Edited by sidelock

• 1 month later...

So because I can't sit still and have too much time on my hands between clients I went ahead and tinkered with this pattern. Using my minimal skills in AutoCad i drew up a bunch of these that will be to scale when you print so all you have to do is cut and trace. Once I get it printed out and made right if you guys want any I'll post it up here.

Sure if you have the time -- thanks.