scoobydoo

Complete 2017 Shimano Tranx 400 tear down, feature overview and comparsion to the Lexa 300, 400, Abu Revo Toro Beast and original Tranx 500

84 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

You're welcome

Any of the lexas will perform beautifully. THe 300 would work great for what you're lookin for

Thanks for fast reply Scooby. Will check lexa in nearby tackle shop soon.

YMMV but I do not have the ability to throw light braid on a baitcaster. It goes good for a while.....then :( 30 is my break point. Now I typically throw much lighter lures inshore, maybe with heavier lures not as much of an issue, it feels like it digs in a little much and you get that slight hitch. Just moved a bunch of 20 lb invisibraid off a lews inshore to a spinner. Loved how it casted, for a bit.

Nice info G8tr appreciate it. No wondder scooby recomend 300 size reel for surf and estuary.

Scooby could i get your opinion on a left handed model? The lexa 300hd only comes in 8.1 ratio and im wondering if thats too high for bottom fishing? Fluke,seabass, and tog in 40-100fow would be the primary use.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:39 PM, Jmfish said:

Scooby could i get your opinion on a left handed model? The lexa 300hd only comes in 8.1 ratio and im wondering if thats too high for bottom fishing? Fluke,seabass, and tog in 40-100fow would be the primary use.

You will appreciate the speed when it comes to cranking up quickly to rebait your hook as needed.

The construction of the Lexa HD can handle the stress of pulling the fish you speak of off the bottom. Personally, I would get the 400 size.

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

You will appreciate the speed when it comes to cranking up quickly to rebait your hook as needed.

The construction of the Lexa HD can handle the stress of pulling the fish you speak of off the bottom. Personally, I would get the 400 size.

Perfect, that was the other question i forgot to ask-which size! 

Hope no one gets upset for me posting on this older thread, especially since I'm new to posting on this site (been lurking for long while)...but man, what a great read!  As always, I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts about this type of thing Scooby!  Right inline with my current research.  I will admit...that avatar of yours kills my attention span...but I'm not complaining!

1. I'm looking for a fun low profile for my light surf needs on my longer setups...and giving thought to the Lexa HD's.  Not sure about 300 or 400 yet.  Will be used for blues and spanish mostly.  Having never used either, and after playing around with their Coastal TWS, I wish these had their TWS!  They may not need it based on distance to level wind, so I'm only assuming it would be a big win for these Lexa's...  

2. Really interested in your Steez vs Antares reel comparison.  I've always used Shimano for this type of fishing, but after recently trying Daiwa's Coastal TWS, I fell in love.  I really think I can tell a difference in their TWS...definitely in the quietness of the cast, but distance as well.  Has me giving thought to this system for fresh.  

Again, big thanks for the info and time put in on this type of thing!

On 4/16/2018 at 8:39 PM, Jmfish said:

I use my lexa HD 300 XSL-P for this purpose when I have to use 6 oz or more to stay in the strike zone. Works great!