scoobydoo

Complete 2017 Shimano Tranx 400 tear down, feature overview and comparsion to the Lexa 300, 400, Abu Revo Toro Beast and original Tranx 500

82 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, CrashHard23 said:

Big game low profile baitcaster are awesome. I couldn’t just settle for one so I picked up a tranx 400, 500, Lexa 300 HD and the Komodo ss 471plx all left hand. I have used my tranx and lexa extensively and they are both excellent. I’m waiting this spring/summer to break out my new Komodo SS.

That is one way to do it, LOL!

Not sure, get them all.

Just picked up a Tranx 400, I will have it by Friday and will give it a good whirl.

I am not sure how cranking power will be, but I think it will do well fishing smaller lures for musky.

I will test the drag out on larger flatheads and off of Florida piers later this year too.

Does anyone else experience a noticeable amount of back play in their Shimano Tranx?

I was really excited to receive my new Tranx 400HG today (after 3 week delay from Cabelas...) and immediately noticed that the anti-reverse clutch doesn't stop the handle from turning backwards for about a couple degrees. The knob can move about an 1/8" backwards before the anti-reverse engages. This is quite disappointing from a $300 Shimano.

9 hours ago, eatmorelionfish said:

Does anyone else experience a noticeable amount of back play in their Shimano Tranx?

I was really excited to receive my new Tranx 400HG today (after 3 week delay from Cabelas...) and immediately noticed that the anti-reverse clutch doesn't stop the handle from turning backwards for about a couple degrees. The knob can move about an 1/8" backwards before the anti-reverse engages. This is quite disappointing from a $300 Shimano.

That AR clutch should lock up pretty much instantly.

It's pretty much the same off the shelf part used in some other reels in it's class

Try this

Tighten the drag.

Place your thumb on the spool

then while looking at the handle retaining nut where it meets the handle.............Rotate the handle forward..........rotate the handle back..

The goal being to see if the handle is moving on the shaft or if the entire assembly is moving backwards.

If its just the handle.....a tightening of the nut may be all that's needed....if it's the whole thing...I'd say it's a defect.

The ones i had were rock solid.  

14 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

That AR clutch should lock up pretty much instantly.

It's pretty much the same off the shelf part used in some other reels in it's class

Try this

Tighten the drag.

Place your thumb on the spool

then while looking at the handle retaining nut where it meets the handle.............Rotate the handle forward..........rotate the handle back..

The goal being to see if the handle is moving on the shaft or if the entire assembly is moving backwards.

If its just the handle.....a tightening of the nut may be all that's needed....if it's the whole thing...I'd say it's a defect.

The ones i had were rock solid.  

Yep, it's the whole thing. I took out the spool and saw that the pinion gear would turn backwards. Tightening the drag would reduce the travel distance a bit, but this is still unacceptable.

I'm 0/2 on getting a defect-free reel this year. $145 new Abu Garcia Revo3 Premiere had a issue where something in the star drag would rub against something every turn of the handle. While this is faintly noticeable at higher drags, the noise became apparent with a loose drag. 

On another note, does anyone know where I can get a spare spool, either aftermarket or stock, for the tranx 400?

9 hours ago, eatmorelionfish said:

Yep, it's the whole thing. I took out the spool and saw that the pinion gear would turn backwards. Tightening the drag would reduce the travel distance a bit, but this is still unacceptable.

I'm 0/2 on getting a defect-free reel this year. $145 new Abu Garcia Revo3 Premiere had a issue where something in the star drag would rub against something every turn of the handle. While this is faintly noticeable at higher drags, the noise became apparent with a loose drag. 

On another note, does anyone know where I can get a spare spool, either aftermarket or stock, for the tranx 400?

Dude..I went through a stint this year..back to back to back to back getting bad reels.  4 from 3 companies consecutively.   Purchased from 3 different locations.

Hell..my girlfriend bought me a stella fi for my birthday a few years ago...it was geary and the wrash guard fins were all cockeyed and sticking out.  Exchanged it...and the frame and sidplate had an overhang that stuck out and was sharp enough to cut you....never saw that in my life......returned it.

Fast forward...Blew out the gear sets in the two I ordered since

Sucks when it happens....but it happens.

I don't even want to say take it apart and see if degreasing the clutch would help......because who wants to waste time on a new reel when that's probably not the issue

On 3/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, scoobydoo said:

Dude..I went through a stint this year..back to back to back to back getting bad reels.  4 from 3 companies consecutively.   Purchased from 3 different locations.

Hell..my girlfriend bought me a stella fi for my birthday a few years ago...it was geary and the wrash guard fins were all cockeyed and sticking out.  Exchanged it...and the frame and sidplate had an overhang that stuck out and was sharp enough to cut you....never saw that in my life......returned it.

Fast forward...Blew out the gear sets in the two I ordered since

Sucks when it happens....but it happens.

I don't even want to say take it apart and see if degreasing the clutch would help......because who wants to waste time on a new reel when that's probably not the issue

Used overnight delivery and received my second Tranx 400AHG today from Tackle Warehouse (who clearly sent an open box...with the box opening sticker peeling off and the drag cranked all the way down). Again, there is significant amount of back play in the handle...Could there a design defect in this reel or is Shimano's design tolerances just way too loose on their latest batch of Tranx? Both reels are identical in the amount of back play. I can hear an unsatisfactory click every revolution of the handle because drive shafts is bouncing around something. I can pull the star drag in and out on its axis of revolution. I might just have to tear these reels apart. Seems like the amount of play is correlated to the amount of drag as well. 

Yeah...I'm with ya on that.....

Call up shimano and tell em your pissed....2 reels are not acceptable and you have trip on monday or some ****e  lol

Here is my though. Just fish it, you probably won't feel a thing once you are fishing it. 1/8" backward is nothing. If you don't like it, turn it after your trip, It's not like tw is not accepting returns. 

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, eatmorelionfish said:

Used overnight delivery and received my second Tranx 400AHG today from Tackle Warehouse (who clearly sent an open box...with the box opening sticker peeling off and the drag cranked all the way down). Again, there is significant amount of back play in the handle...Could there a design defect in this reel or is Shimano's design tolerances just way too loose on their latest batch of Tranx? Both reels are identical in the amount of back play. I can hear an unsatisfactory click every revolution of the handle because drive shafts is bouncing around something. I can pull the star drag in and out on its axis of revolution. I might just have to tear these reels apart. Seems like the amount of play is correlated to the amount of drag as well. 

If the reel has an issue, don't take it apart, send the reel back for a refund.

I never had an issue with backplay and my tranx 400. If you don't want to order a 3rd tranx, just get yourself a different low profile reel from Diawa, Okuma, or Abu Garcia.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I just picked up a used tranx with full spool of braid in awesome condition over the weekend and it doesn't have any backplay or clicking sound. Send it back and order somewhere else or buy in person!

Posted (edited)

Nice & very informative video thanks!

Now I really want to try low profile reel especially Tranx after watch your video.

Before i buy Tranx, do you have cheap shimano or diawa low profile (baitcaster) reel recomendation for surf and estuary fishing that have line capacity 150 to 200 meters 20# - 15# braid.

I never use low profile reel until now so if i can't learn how to setting the brake properly i dont need to spent above $250. 

Sorry for my bad English hope you understand what i mean.

Chris

Edited by WTD

3 hours ago, WTD said:

Nice & very informative video thanks!

Now I really want to try low profile reel especially Tranx after watch your video.

Before i buy Tranx, do you have cheap shimano or diawa low profile (baitcaster) reel recomendation for surf and estuary fishing that have line capacity 150 to 200 meters 20# - 15# braid.

I never use low profile reel until now so if i can't learn how to setting the brake properly i dont need to spent above $250. 

Sorry for my bad English hope you understand what i mean.

Chris

You're welcome

Any of the lexas will perform beautifully. THe 300 would work great for what you're lookin for

18 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

You're welcome

Any of the lexas will perform beautifully. THe 300 would work great for what you're lookin for

Thanks for fast reply Scooby. Will check lexa in nearby tackle shop soon.