scoobydoo

Complete 2017 Shimano Tranx 400 tear down, feature overview and comparsion to the Lexa 300, 400, Abu Revo Toro Beast and original Tranx 500

82 posts in this topic

On the Toro Beast, I took the opposite direction with the casting brakes. Centrifugal brakes barely on, mags off.

Brakes at 1 or 2?

Lowest i went was cent 2 mags off.

I found centrifugal off and mags on was squirrelier/ faster

never went down to 1...just went all mag at that point.

Posted (edited)

The mag brakes on the Toro Beast seemed a little strong when compared to the Lexa 400HD, to the extent that I saw no need for them based on my fishing and casting style. But then again, even on the smaller Abus I never use the mags because they seem a little strong too,I just put on 2 pins max, back off the spool tension knob, and fish. I keep the Lexa set to 3 max on the mag brake for comparison, it never changes.

Max distance isn't something we deal with much in the real world when fishing, I suspect the mag brakes were made a bit stronger inorder to provide maximum control when actually fishing. It is just my theroy.

Edited by Pylodictis

Posted (edited)

Brakes at 1 or 2?

never went down to 1...just went all mag at that point.[h/quote]

Yeah, with centifugal brakes on the low setting, it takes serious thumb control because the spool can quickly get away from you (I can only imagine what it was like after being tuned up by you), but I live on the edge with all my baitcasters. Lol!

Edited by Pylodictis

When I first started using the Lexa and Beast side by side, I felt the Lexa cast further too, until I got comfortable with the Beast. Then I feel in love with the Beast.

It feels and handles smoothly, precisely, and can be a tad bit fidgety when casting, but it was the most enjoyable large low pro to fish with that I have used.

Scooby, an impressive video.  The level of detail and explanation was on point.  As someone who's serviced a lot of reels do you have thoughts on what parts (besides spare spools or brakes if so inclined) to have on hand if using older baitcasters, such as a Curado D or E, in brackish/salt water.  Are there certain parts more prone to wear or failure, premature or otherwise, even if the reel is taken care of?  As an example, you mentioned that the crankshaft "bastard" bearing was an area for potential water intrusion on reels without the Tranx O ring.   Also, any thoughts on the quality of the Malaysian build vs made in Japan?  Thanks  

Scooby, an impressive video.  The level of detail and explanation was on point.  As someone who's serviced a lot of reels do you have thoughts on what parts (besides spare spools or brakes if so inclined) to have on hand if using older baitcasters, such as a Curado D or E, in brackish/salt water.  Are there certain parts more prone to wear or failure, premature or otherwise, even if the reel is taken care of?  As an example, you mentioned that the crankshaft "bastard" bearing was an area for potential water intrusion on reels without the Tranx O ring.   Also, any thoughts on the quality of the Malaysian build vs made in Japan?  Thanks  

Thanks Paladin.

That bastard bearing usually dies as a result of the person servicing the reel not getting all the way to it.

as far as parts..

I would probably say the worm, pawl/idler. and bushings

I don't know if the tranx worm fits the curado.  But it's not a chromed brass worm. 

Shimano has also already moved away from metal in some of their worms.  

So having an extra set might be a good idea.

The ar clutch bearing Sleeve is also good to have....maybe 2.   They wear...though it takes awhile....but they can also corrode.  The clutch bearing itself can be tricky to remove..A nut driver pressed from outside in with the sideplate on a flat surface is the trick....This is also a good part to have.

handle retaining nuts get chewed up.  good to have a freshy

bearings are sourceable as long as you have calipers..  

An actual level wind guide in case it takes a hit...

handle crank shaft in case it strips.

as far as japanese vs malasia...

I find that no matter the place of manufacture...they are mass produced items.

I usually buy multiples of my reels.   

I've had back to back stella fi reels with side plates with a sharp lip. As well as rotor wrash guards not alligned properly..leaving a sharp edge.   I've had reels made in japan with different color parts (anodizing not equal)

I like japan.....but that's only because the top tier stuff comes from there.....and I like my toys :)

The tranx is as precise as the metanium sitting next to it's left

And feels as solid as the conquest dc to it's right.

Posted (edited)

Brakes at 1 or 2?

never went down to 1...just went all mag at that point.[h/quote]

Yeah, with centifugal brakes on the low setting, it takes serious thumb control because the spool can quickly get away from you (I can only imagine what it was like after being tuned up by you), but I live on the edge with all my baitcasters. Lol!

So I did some more testing.  Not initially to see how the abu threw with mags only vs centrifugal only.  But to test a rod I just wrapped dual purpose and to see if i was losing distance when using a spinner.  As it's primarily  wrapped for conventional....I was very happy to see that with a spinner I lost no distance.  

But this is what I found.  

(I accidently dumped a komodo but it was spooled with 80lb braid and only had  75 ish yards)

339 feet is about max with 1 centrifugal brake.  And that is casting in such a way that I would normally throw while actually fishing....cast after cast after cast.

With no centrifugal brakes.  And mags only.  375.  (spinner in the 350s)

With one centrifugal brake on...there was no need for any thumb.  No squirrelyness to speak of.  Just chuck and stop at impact.

(spool tension loose enough to allow side to side spool movement)

WIth mag brakes set at max.  It is much faster than centrifugal brakes set at 1.....MUCH faster.

With mags set at 3/4 thumbing comes into play...mags set at half.....it gets squirrely.......enough that I blew it up

The centrifugal braking set at 1 has a much greater impact than the tranx set at 1.

The mag braking on the lexa can slow the spool down more than the abu mag set to max and centrifugal brakes set to max (simultaneously set to max)  if you turn the mag up all the way on the lexa

Here is the issue....which is kind of the same issue with the shimano svs.

If you fish mag only on the abu...you can get more distance...but if you aren't throwing aerodynamic baits in perfect conditions.  Mag plus centrifugal brakes are going to make fishing it more enjoyable.  

IE.

If i was throwing a popper I could just go mags...but if wind kicks up...I would prefer not risking a blow up and click on a centrifugal brake.....and then back off the mags a bit....BUT that comes at a price of lost distance.

(this relates to the shimano svs as 1 brake on gives you max distance with some easy control in good condtions....but if it gets windy your best off turning on the second brake and turning the dial down.....but once you turn on the second brake weight...you start to lose distance by default)

The Abu feels very wide too...and it's foot seem smaller and doesn't fit the seat as tightly as the other baitcasters(kind of like how van staals have a physically thinner foot).  Good for swimbait rods that have smaller seats.....and taping the foot is what I found worked best.

But the extra width when winching in fish and fishing in current is noticeable.  I have to grip the rod much more tightly than on narrower reels or cradle it from underneath....This is much more noticeable on the rod I just built that has no trigger or palm support..and no foregrip...and after this week of bluefish...I don't think I will be fishing that reel any longer in favor of the lexa 300 or tranx.

Edited by scoobydoo

Interesting thoughts on the Toro Beast Scoob.

Thanks.

Myself, I like the Okuma Komodoss best out of all the low pros I have tried so far, the reel doesn't have the greatest refinement, but it offers me the most useful and practical reel, with a strong design, for my fishing needs.

What have you discovered about the new Komodo SS reels so far?

Interesting thoughts on the Toro Beast Scoob.

Thanks.

Myself, I like the Okuma Komodoss best out of all the low pros I have tried so far, the reel doesn't have the greatest refinement, but it offers me the most useful and practical reel, with a strong design, for my fishing needs.

What have you discovered about the new Komodo SS reels so far?

The Komodo is Far and away the worst caster of all the reels.  The non dsg levelwind realllly chokes the distance with the narrow spool.  After degreasing the idler that runs the levelwind and re oiling the worm and spool bearings.  I was able to pick up 30' but still can't hit 90 yards.  Where as the others break 100 with ease.  For musky fishing it's fine.  Throwing bucktails I didn't notice any distance loss compared to the others...nothing major anyway.  It's the aerodynamic baits that is sucks on.

I like how it fishes better than the abu and equal to the lexa 300.  I kinda like the retrieve of it better than the 400 lexa.  It's very solid sturdy.  And Compared to the beast 50.  More compact.  When winching in fish.  The slimmer width is noticeable.  The abu could have been narrowed by almost half an inch.  NO clue why the crank shaft is so long on it.  When winching on it the abu wants to turn over becasue of this.  Even with the beasts 4.9:1 ratio and slow 24" ipt.  It is more fatiguing constantly winching than the lexa the tranx and the komodo.

The Komodo is Far and away the worst caster of all the reels.  The non dsg levelwind realllly chokes the distance with the narrow spool.  After degreasing the idler that runs the levelwind and re oiling the worm and spool bearings.  I was able to pick up 30' but still can't hit 90 yards.  Where as the others break 100 with ease.  For musky fishing it's fine.  Throwing bucktails I didn't notice any distance loss compared to the others...nothing major anyway.  It's the aerodynamic baits that is sucks on.

I like how it fishes better than the abu and equal to the lexa 300.  I kinda like the retrieve of it better than the 400 lexa.  It's very solid sturdy.  And Compared to the beast 50.  More compact.  When winching in fish.  The slimmer width is noticeable.  The abu could have been narrowed by almost half an inch.  NO clue why the crank shaft is so long on it.  When winching on it the abu wants to turn over becasue of this.  Even with the beasts 4.9:1 ratio and slow 24" ipt.  It is more fatiguing constantly winching than the lexa the tranx and the komodo.

Yeah, I agree that the Komodo ìsn't a great distance casting reel. My experiance has the Lexa and Toro hitting greater distances too and I have speculated that the synced lw is to blame, though you bring up a valid point, based on what you are casting, it is doubtful that distances in casting would be noticable, if even present.

Bump, figure it would be good to bump up the threads that reviewed some of the low profile reels just for further conversation and to see what people's thoughts are if they have been using some of these low profile reels.

Posted (edited)

Big game low profile baitcaster are awesome. I couldn’t just settle for one so I picked up a tranx 400, 500, Lexa 300 HD and the Komodo ss 471plx all left hand. I have used my tranx and lexa extensively and they are both excellent. I’m waiting this spring/summer to break out my new Komodo SS.

Edited by CrashHard23