scoobydoo

Complete 2017 Shimano Tranx 400 tear down, feature overview and comparsion to the Lexa 300, 400, Abu Revo Toro Beast and original Tranx 500

82 posts in this topic

"So many 40-50 pound bass". How many 50s?

During that stretch my mind drifted to a  2 week stretch of epicness.

overnight Chunking with the tranx 500....in a 2 week stretch 2 over 50.  OVer A dozen over 40..(plus i handed off the setup on a few fish **they were using avets and pro blues.)...between us and our buddy boat. we had 100 fish over 30lbs amongst 3 people and 6 trips.....Water temps were 82-84..

the last day of the epicness we had police move the barricades so we could launch due to fireworks closing the marina.  Doggies moved in but managed my last fifty at 53lbs.   

Lots of big teeth on the bunker pods as well that week.  

I posted some pics in the nj

Glad to see that's what you got out of the vid.

Posted (edited)

During that stretch my mind drifted to a  2 week stretch of epicness.

overnight Chunking with the tranx 500....in a 2 week stretch 2 over 50.  OVer A dozen over 40..(plus i handed off the setup on a few fish **they were using avets and pro blues.)...between us and our buddy boat. we had 100 fish over 30lbs amongst 3 people and 6 trips.....Water temps were 82-84..

the last day of the epicness we had police move the barricades so we could launch due to fireworks closing the marina.  Doggies moved in but managed my last fifty at 53lbs.   

Lots of big teeth on the bunker pods as well that week.  

I posted some pics in the nj

Glad to see that's what you got out of the vid.

That's awesome....

Edited by levari

It's way too long. But there is a ton of information.

One question: for a kayak reel (no intentions of dunking, but salt spray is inevitable), would you grease the side plate etc even with Core Protect? If the water is going to bead and run off, would it make sense to just grease the gears and leave the frame alone? 

I normally open up my freshwater BCs and grease, well, everything. Slather it on thick!

One question: for a kayak reel (no intentions of dunking, but salt spray is inevitable), would you grease the side plate etc even with Core Protect? If the water is going to bead and run off, would it make sense to just grease the gears and leave the frame alone? 

I normally open up my freshwater BCs and grease, well, everything. Slather it on thick!

No need to grease.   Normally the thick painted/ coated surfaces are OK grease free.  (i've even stopped doing it on many spinning reels)  

Anodized surfaces I'll still grease

I over greased the daiwa 400 for an experiment in how it would take underwater abuse.....I replaced all the bearings with 100% si nitride as well......failed experiment.....it was so noisey I gave up....*if you hear me kind of chuckle in the vid...that was what I had in my mind.....the deafening shrill of full ceramics everywhere lol

This is some sort of record!!

Thanks the Lord you did not see the original post before I edited it..

Thanks the Lord you did not see the original post before I edited it..

LOL

Awesome job Scooby. I'm pretty busy and adhd lately, but your video kept my interest from start to finish at 3am barely running on no sleep. Really appreciate you putting in the time for a thorough breakdown and review that was easy to understand and follow for the less mechanically inclined. Learned alot tonight and now really want a Tranx I don't really need. I would also print out those compliments from Levari, frame then, and hang up for display as a testament of how good this review was. Thanks again and looking forward to your future work.

Awesome job Scooby. I'm pretty busy and adhd lately, but your video kept my interest from start to finish at 3am barely running on no sleep. Really appreciate you putting in the time for a thorough breakdown and review that was easy to understand and follow for the less mechanically inclined. Learned alot tonight and now really want a Tranx I don't really need. I would also print out those compliments from Levari, frame then, and hang up for display as a testament of how good this review was. Thanks again and looking forward to your future work.

LOL...thanks brotha....although I'm kinda weirded out thinking of you watching me in your undies  lol

I took screen grabs.....and did IP checks to make sure his account wasn't hacked.

Got quite a bit more on the way....I'm gonna do maintenance tutorials on the reels first.   Then move on to some lighter weight gear.  I think i'm doing every 160$ fw spinner on the market next.

LOL...thanks brotha....although I'm kinda weirded out thinking of you watching me in your undies lol

No surprise here...

A useful post (and vid) so I am willing to bump it for you Scoobs.

But you have no understanding of the Abu Revo Toro Beast, just sayin' bro. :p

A useful post (and vid) so I am willing to bump it for you Scoobs.

But you have no understanding of the Abu Revo Toro Beast, just sayin' bro. :p

I gave up half way explaining how the drag stack works....

I was distracted by the drag stack pressing and spinning on a piece of plastic.  It not only compresses against it...it spins against it.   Can you confirm this?

Has yours seen significant wear?

It is by far the most overpriced and lowest quality reel on the table.   As well as the worst casting.

If it's like the other revo reels...they're not even abus.

Posted (edited)

I was distracted by the drag stack pressing and spinning on a piece of plastic. It not only compresses against it...it spins against it. Can you confirm this?

It is by far the most overpriced and lowest quality reel on the table. As well as the worst casting.

I don't know scoob, the Toro Beast is one heck of a caster. Once I got the hang of the spool speed (I don't rely on turning casting brakes up very high to control the spool) the reel had no trouble launching an SP minnow 80yds plus with an 8ft rod and a spool full of 50lb braid. The reel wasn't even tuned up. Edited by Pylodictis

I was distracted by the drag stack pressing and spinning on a piece of plastic.  It not only compresses against it...it spins against it.   Can you confirm this?

It is by far the most overpriced and lowest quality reel on the table.   As well as the worst casting.

Well guy, the VP Engineer at Abu that I correspond with who patented that drag design (and a descendant of the original owners) might disagree with you as to it's lineage. Abu engineers do work for Penn, Pflueger et al depending on the project.

If you can't cast that reel, I suggest you use either more mag, or more cent brakes. By far the best caster of them all with the most fine tune-able brakes of any reel in that class. Max distance is of course, only possible with a max educated thumb and minimal brake.

The under gear idle gear is intended to sync the LW mechanism when drag is going out, another feature that only Abu has. The amount of heat it experiences (it is not truly part of the drag stack) is minimal. There is no comparison of it to a drag knob that takes more heat and the melted ones have been done on the largest Stellas/Saltigas on huge tuna, not a fish you are going to handle with ~275 yards of 50# braid like these reels have. 

You also don't understand the "Infinity Spool" (Penn calls this the "Live Spindle" in their conventional reels, a Daiwa innovation IIRC) that is superior for casting very light baits and provides max distance.

It also remains the only star drag reel in the world that can have the drag loosened with a fish on.

As far as value goes, they are the same price as Tranx 400 on teh Flea bay. As far as quality, I cannot comment on the reel in your hand.

Regardless, I think the Tranx is likely excellent and the sealing (particularly of the clutch) is very welcome. But there remains the issues of the sealing of the under shaft bearing that is now more likely to be toast when salt inevitably gets in, as the reel has no drainage. Unless I missed that they addressed that area.

This is the ultimate dilemma of sealing reels. If anything gets in, it cannot be rinsed out. Open designs with drains (like Cabo) with lots of stainless steel innards and grease may be the actual solution for anything short of VS level sealing, which is quite an engineering challenge for a conventional reel. A Penn Jigmaster is still going to hold up to salt better (the conventional equivalent of a Penn Z). Point being, Shimano is making attempts at sealing some problem areas (spool bearings and clutch) but may be on a fool's errand that an open and simpler design that drains may solve better. Hard to say at this time.

Lastly, Shimano has abandoned their "micro tooth" gearing in the new Tranx which is also welcome. Plenty of mixed reviews of that tech in other models.

I've said it plenty of times: The offerings from Abu, Daiwa, Okuma and Shimano all have their advantages and disadvantages. If you are inclined to use one of these beautiful reels there is not a lot to differentiate them. Pay your money, take care of it, and take your chances.

Go forth and get bit casting about the funnest reels out there, imo.

I don't know scoob, the Toro Beast is one heck of a caster. Once I got the hang of the spool speed (I don't rely on turning casting brakes up very high to control the spool) the reel had no trouble launching an SP minnow 80yds plus with an 8ft rod and a spool full of 50lb braid. The reel wasn't even tuned up.

My basis for how it casts was pretty straight forward.

Stand flat footed. Both feet pointed at the target

Drop to about the reel

Payload at my heel

One motion forward.

And I will fully admit...Ihate shimanos centrifugal brakes. 

But i was surprised at how well it threw.

With only mags on and cetrifugal brakes off...the abu was coming in behind the 400lexa.  

I expected the abu to throw better than it did.  IT had very good freespool.  And I can hit 150 easily with other abus.

I purged all the bearings and oiled them equally with cut 321

Longest cast went to the tranx.  I went back again the next day to test the antares vs steez sv tws...and took out the Beast, lexa and tranx again.  Only I just cast the lexa and beast.

Lexa did better by 10 yards flat footed.

I expected the lexa to cast well...But i thought the abu would do better.

I even respooled the abu to make sure it was topped off.  SO i added in a bit of backing.  It was still a bit lower than the lexa....but only by a 1/16th

If there is a magic combination of brake settings im not aware of.....I'm willing to try again.  But I set it so it was a bit squirrely.  

That's how i based my casting comparison.

I was more thorough with the steez vs antares....using different baits from megabass, live target and spinnerbaits.  

Now that result was interesting.  And it is in agreement with what i've been saying about the SVS brake in the shimano reels..how they come on to hot.   

1 brake on dial set between 4 and 6 on the antares netted longest casts for the shimano.....about 3-5 feet short of the mag setting of 4 on the steez.

But....with a breeze...and adding a second brake....distance was restricted heavily.  where as if iwent to 5 on the steez..it outcast it by 10 - 20'   Still being a bit squirrely on the daiwa's side..but the antares was very tame from the dial being set from 3-6...but squirrely and "distance capped" below 2 on the dial

I wasn't playing favorites in the field.