scoobydoo

Complete 2017 Shimano Tranx 400 tear down, feature overview and comparsion to the Lexa 300, 400, Abu Revo Toro Beast and original Tranx 500

82 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Thanks Scoob., great quick response, do you take requests, I'll give you a 15 min turnaround time.   :) ,  How does this compare with the Curado?

Edited by mike3dr

Thanks Scoob., great quick response, do you take requests, I'll give you a 15 min turnaround time.   :) ,  How does this compare with the Curado?

Tranx has effective sealing 

I don't believe the pinion is stainless/ brass on the curado.

400 spool size.

Star drag that performs like a lever drag.

Handles are better

It's basically a tranx 500 only a pound lighter.  :)

Scooby, you are hurting my feeling, and my wallet.  :)

That was not my intent  :)

Do you remember that feeling when baitcasters first switched to high carbon plastic sideplates and aluminum gears to cut weight.....And how it was a toyish feeling.....

Thats what the abu feels like.

But it doesn't incorporate those things.  

And I spent sime time casting the antares........The only way i can get the same distance out of it compared to the steez.  Is to go down to only 1 brake on.  But with a breeze i need to go up to 2.....and at that point I lose  distance....That was surprising considering the freespool was 5x that of the steez.  And the entire interwebs say it's the worlds best caster.   I purged the bearings in both reels....and used tsi 321 cut with alcohol....so all things were equal....15lb braid on each reel.   I hookless megabass 110 went 137 with mags set to 4 on the steez....chronarch 125..1 brake on dial set to 4ish.

When the wind came up which...it was windy...I had to go open the reel and unlock another brake.  Instant loss of 15 feet.

Frogs and spinnerbaits were closer.  But they kind of have a distance cap

But...man is that antares is like a Rolex on the retrieve.

Scooby ... which model would you recommend for casting 3/4 oz to 1 1/2oz rubber baits/ topwater & metals for Bass and Albies?

Scooby ... which model would you recommend for casting 3/4 oz to 1 1/2oz rubber baits/ topwater & metals for Bass and Albies?

If you went tranx.   300 high speed with the double paddle handle.

lexa hd   i'd go 300 with the 7.1  (3/4 to 2 is what it sees the most of and i love it for that)  With a double paddle handle

30lb j braid is what Ihave spooled on two of the 300s

Posted (edited)

I am only kidding. That's why I love your reviews. Unbiased, raw honest review, no holding back.

I am not sure if you have tried it. There is a brake intensity setting reel on the antares.  You generally don't have to mess with the internal brakes, I just leave 2-3 on the inside in the begging of the day depends on forecast and adjust the external setting wheel as needed.  You might also have to oil the brake drum as well, they don't like running dry or dirty.   Here is the brake curve from shimano japan:

post-58179-0-21570300-1489082832.jpg

I can reach the same distant as the Calcutta dc with it.  Maybe I'll try your steez sv later in the season. 

Edited by hobobob

If you went tranx.   300 high speed with the double paddle handle.

lexa hd   i'd go 300 with the 7.1  (3/4 to 2 is what it sees the most of and i love it for that)  With a double paddle handle

30lb j braid is what Ihave spooled on two of the 300s

Thanks for the input ... looking at the smaller Tranx reels. I will be honest, then 300 & 400 seem so close specs wise ... not sure why Shimano made both.

I am only kidding. That's why I love your reviews. Unbiased, raw honest review, no holding back.

I am not sure if you have tried it. There is a brake intensity setting reel on the antares.  You generally don't have to mess with the internal brakes, I just leave 2-3 on the inside in the begging of the day depends on forecast and adjust the external setting wheel as needed.  You might also have to oil the brake drum as well, they don't like running dry or dirty.   Here is the brake curve from shimano japan:

attachicon.gif13359_feature1.jpg

I can reach the same distant as the Calcutta dc with it.  Maybe I'll try your steez sv later in the season. 

Cool chart.   

I tried as many configurations as i could between gusts of wind.

I liked the 1 brake on setting.....for distance...with the intensity dial set to 3 4 or 5....as a matter of fact...in the video i shot....you can here me go....OOOOOOooohhh i like that......she just woke up.  :)

I found...and this is watching the cast on the way out...that thumbing was needed at around 50 feet. with 1 brake...otherwise it got squirrely...I like that tetering on blow up setting when going for distance....which is why the met dc is so nice....1 single curl of line comes up...and it just stays that way like a balancing act.  

If i added a second third or 4th brake.   Regardless of setting on the dial.  It was an immediate reduction in distance.

Even if at the end of the day distance on the long end was equal......The kick in the nuts is.......WIth the antares...if there is any breeze.....ya pretty much have to add that second brake.  Which means opening the side plate and fuggin around with those brakes.

Do you mind if i swap out 2 reds for 2 whites?   The whites offer less braking......maybe 2 whites would cover the inbetween.

The mgl comes only with 4 whites from what i've seen.

Yup I q tipped and 321's the brake ring.

As long as you don't take a dremel to it. Have fun. You can thank the over complicated brake system to Quantum and their patent on externally adjustable centrifugal brakes. 

Don't forget to give your impression on reel torques. If you need a comparison reel, I can send you the previous gen calais cl200-5. It's what I considered the ultimate deep water cranking reel. Talk about a smooth wrench.

Thanks for the input ... looking at the smaller Tranx reels. I will be honest, then 300 & 400 seem so close specs wise ... not sure why Shimano made both.

Freshwater bass and steelhead/salmon guys didn't want the wider spool and extra line capacity

Freshwater bass and steelhead/salmon guys didn't want the wider spool and extra line capacity

Quick question....while you're here..you may be able to save me some trouble.  

Are the internals on the 300 the same as the 400.  I've been getting that question quite a bit.  I don't want to assume.

My guess is the sideplates are the same...and what is in them.....but the frame spool and levelwind worm is different.  

Same internals. if I wasn't lazy I'd walk down stairs and the schematic out of the car for you but it's windy and cold. Lol

you and friggin stairs.....I swear....lol

Thanks!