Berkley Line Winding Machine

Rate this topic

Crafty Angler

I picked up a Berkley line winding machine at our club flea market a couple of weeks ago for $20 (I heard they cost the shops several hundred). It's in reasonably good shape, need to fix the variable speed foot pedal, looks like it's got a Matsu****a sewing machine type motor. It runs fine.

Just wondering - does anyone have any hints on using it? If it needs parts can you get them from Berkley or do you have to be a shop owner to do it?

I like to change my line pretty frequently and I've got a perfect spot for it in the Angler's Workshop.

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Crafty

Uncle Crafty

I think that the machines are manufactured by Triangle Manufacturing in NJ. (201) 825-1212 A good machine like a Big Game model costs the tackle shop a couple thousand dollars. Many models have come and gone and parts are not available for the older ones. You can get some info from Berkley (www.purefishing.com) but expect to wait several days for an answer.

http://www.trianglemfg.com

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 03-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 03-29-2001).]

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

There should be a manufacturer's i.d. plate somewhere on the unit; Berkley did not actually manufacture them. There were at least three firms who produced commercial line winders, which were made available to tackle shops thru various bulk spool purchasing programs by most of the major line companies. These, naurally enough, arrived in the shop featuring the logo of whichever line maker's program they'd been obtained thru.

Triangle Manufacturing (you can do a search here, on the Main Forum, for a recent post with their address) produces the vast majority of units currently in widespread distribution, including many logo'd by Berkley, but Berkley distributed units by at least one other manufacturer, years past, and I'm almost certain that they are obsolete. If it's a Triangle unit, you're in good shape for availability, but don't expect any bargains on replacement parts from them. They do, as a friend of mine likes to say, think a great deal of their products, and price them accordingly. Lots of components, such as foot switches, bearings, etc. are pretty standard and available parts if you're willing to do some searching and scrounging. Specialty components, peculiar to the unit, are going to set you back just a tad.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 03-29-2001).]

Crafty,

Triet is probably right it's 99% chance it is from triangle. Parts should come in a few days but, they are very exspensive. As far as running the machine, SLOW is good, less chance to heat up the line going thru the guides of the machine.

------------------

Frank Z.

Berkeley Striper Club President Seaside Park N.J.

Hmmmm..... I was still working on my second cup of coffe when I typed Matsu****a - either I was still groggy and committed a typo or the auto-editor misread the company name.

Anyway,thanks a lot, men - I'll let you all know how I make out with Triangle just for future reference for any of you with a line winder.

Thanks again,

Crafty

Uncle Crafty

I got a triangle made line winder.I bought it at a shop going out of business auction.

It's used but is in fine shape nothing missing or needing fixing.I was told that they cost somthing like 1200.00 from Berkley new.I paid 325.00 at auction so it's sounds like you got a real good deal to me.

Uh oh, Bill -

Just went to the workshop and checked it out again - didn't see Triangle Mfg. anywhere on it, it just says Berkley Line Metering Machine and the model designation is FWS (uh oh...hmmm, could that be "Fresh Water Spinning"?) Berkley Co. Spirit Lake, IA.

I'm starting to get the ugly feeling that the only line I'm gonna be changing frequently is my ultra-light trout stuff.

Hey, in my own defense, I did notice that the four line guide doodads were not on it as I'm used to seeing in the B&T's nor are there any holes in the base for them.

I also noticed that the tensioning spring for the spool is either busted or not up to, say, the weight of a 704 spool.

Well, I've spent more on less....

Crafty

Uncle Crafty