Looking to Trade for Big Wood

Rate this topic

Belmo

My brother is a fisherman, and built a bar for himself last year, and after getting loaded there a few times :D, I got the cockamamie idea to build tap handles out of wooden fishing lures, specifically surf lures. I figgered they'd look pretty cool. So I bought a bunch of tap-handle nuts (or whatever the screwy things are called), and I figured I'd cannibalize some of the big wood in my dungeon.

But I ran into a problem: all of my lures are too skinny at the tail end to accept the threaded nut that goes onto the tap handle. I'd have to chop the lures in half, and that would make them look like crap. 

I considered trying to turn (or carve) a few myself, but I ended that thought experiment quickly: I don't have any equipment to do it, and don't have much interest in giving plug-building a whirl (I got enough on my plate building rods). 

So here's my question: is there anyone out there who would be interested in making, and trading, some really big wooden lures? They don't have to be beautiful (though good looks help! :D), and one especially important point is that because they will not be used for fishing, they don't have to swim well (they don't have to swim at all). I'm thinking of something the size and shape of a GRS troller -- that would work well as a tap handle. 

They don't need to be thru-wired, nor do they need any hook hardware. I would also prefer that they are painted (I ain't got no painting setup either), but I'll take unpainted lure bodies if that's all I can get. Ideally, I'd get about 8 or so -- that would be a lifetime supply, I think. 

I dunno if anyone out there has any interest in this, but I'll throw a Hail Mary pass and see if there's any interest. I have tons of fishing crap, and I promise to make it worth your while, if anyone has any interest in this. 

Thanks for reading. 

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

I'm interested. What are the dimensions you're looking for and how many? Not sure what this might be worth but I'm looking for a 5000ish sized plugging reel for my son. Used is fine if it's in good condition.

Looking for something that is about the size of a GRS troller or pikie, which are 8 and 10 inches long, respectively. 

But the style is unimportant, and the size doesn't really matter, as long as it's something that fits in your hand nicely when drawing a pint. It could be a Danny, a pencil popper, whatever: it just needs to look cool, like, Hey, that's a cool plug tap handle! I wouldn't need anything like a metal lip, either.

I actually just wanted to take a couple of lures and cannibalize them -- even used ones (like with bluefish teeth marks) would be cool. But I've run into a problem, which is that the tail end of most lures is too skinny to accept the threaded thingy that gets screwed onto the tap handle. 

Here's a pic I stole from the GRS website. The circled end is the problem: on just about all lures I've played around with, the circled bit is too skinny to accept the threaded nut, which is about a half-inch thick. Ideally, the tail end would be about an inch thick -- I would have to measure more precisely than I have to get exact specs -- and most plugs I've looked at are way narrower than this. This is presumably to make them swim well, but I don't need them to swim. 

If ya wanna do this, I will get a reel to trade ya -- either one of my Penns (I have a few spinners in the 500/5000 size class), or I can nab something at one of the flea markets that are coming up. I guarantee that I will make this worth your while, because I'm only looking to do this once, and being able to trade for these quasi-plugs would save me a ton of hassle in trying to do it myself. 

post-9518-0-69848000-1484835950.jpg

And for quantity, I'll take however many you want to do, however many you want to include as a fair trade. I'd love to be able to get my hands on 10 or even a dozen, but I'll take 2 if that's all you want to do. 

Can you post a link to the tap handle hardware? That would be a good start. Or maybe mail them to me. I'm sure they'll look better if they're sized appropriately. Definitely the most important thing before starting is to know the exact width of the bottom where is attached to the tap. Then I can start designing from there. I'm thinking they will be basically oversized replicas of different types of lures with no hardware. So one darter, one Fanny, one bottle plug, one popper, one pencil popper. Stuff like that. What do you think? And to make it go quicker and easier, no hardware at all. Just the wooden shapes.

Can you post a link to the tap handle hardware? That would be a good start. Or maybe mail them to me. 

PM me your address, and I'll mail them to you. There's a vid below that shows what the deal is. I don't think sizing is an issue, but I think it's going to be easier for you to screw them in before you turn the plugs, if that's possible (if you can do that with the lathe).

I can probably do 4 or 5 depending oh how much time I have. I think 3 at a minimum. I guess we'll see after I get started. Might be more. Where are you? I'm in long island. If you're close I'll help you pull the tap. ;-)

4 is perfect. If it's OK with you, it's a deal at 4. I'll get you, one way or the other, a 500/5000-sized spinning reel as a trade. I might even throw something else in to make it a better deal for you. 

I can also offer a nearly-completed (and pretty nice) All-Star 8.5-foot custom surf rod. I'm going from memory, but I think it's rated about 1-3 oz. It's very nearly done: I could have it finished in the next few weeks. If you'd prefer the reel, fine, but I'll throw this out there on the off chance you're interested. 

I'm thinking they will be basically oversized replicas of different types of lures with no hardware. 

Yep. And they don't need to be overly fancy, either in terms of shape or color: I don't need scales or any of that time-consuming stuff. Just basic surf lures. 

So one darter, one Fanny, one bottle plug, one popper, one pencil popper. Stuff like that. What do you think? And to make it go quicker and easier, no hardware at all. Just the wooden shapes.

Yes, that sounds terrific! The colors don't really matter, either -- even basic white would be fine (though redhead would be killer, too). 

Yep. And they don't need to be overly fancy, either in terms of shape or color: I don't need scales or any of that time-consuming stuff. Just basic surf lures.

I may be a newbie lure maker, but I don't usually do anything half assed. I think you'll be pleased with the outcome. ;-)

I'll send you a PM with my address for the nuts. Is that nut all there is to it? Or are there other parts? If it's something I can find at Lowe's, I can just pick them up myself and get started.

The reel is fine. It's for my son. He has a decent rod, although the did sounds good to me. Maybe after 4 if I don't shoot my load design wise, I can do some more for the rod? LOL we can talk about that later.

I'll send you a PM with my address for the nuts. Is that nut all there is to it? Or are there other parts? 

That's all there is to it, but I'll include them. I actually think I already have one. 

And we'll talk about additional trades later. I like the way you think. :D 

One more thing: would a Penn Slammer 560 work? I think I have one of them rattling around in my basement. I also have a couple of 710z reels, I think. 

I'm a fishing newb too, so I'll have to look up those reels. I know the 710 is a little on the large size. Not sure about the 360.

I found the nuts at Lowe's. Website says they're in stock. 3/8-16 threads according to a couple websites i looked at. I'll pick them up tonight. Already roughed out a darter. I want to get these started if we're doing this. This is actually going to go pretty quickly, I think. Painting will take longer than making them. Since they're low on detail, I think I can hog them out pretty fast.

post-71846-0-57822500-1484861639.jpg