Not a new rule...but one we are gonna start enforcing about spot burning

Rate this topic

TimS

All the spot burning crap has really been frosting my cookie as of late...the complaining about pictures, hints of locations, etc, etc. So I'm gonna give you guys a chance to NOT have the spot burning rules changed :read:

I'm gonna let you guys decide your own fate regarding spot burning :th:

Here's how - moving forward, if you feel something is spot burning, here are your acceptable choices of action - they are not complicated :)

1. Click the "report post" button and let one of the numerous admins/forum leaders handle it - they are well versed in how to handle stuff like that.

2. Ignore it.

Those are now officially your two choices :)  They really always have been as we don't allow members to accuse others of breaking the rules in public and never have. We have a plethora of forum leaders/admins who know how to handle this stuff appropriately...we are not looking for any vigilante help at this time ;)

So what does this mean? It means when you read or see something you consider spot burning - you are NOT welcome to:

1. Post that you think it's spot burning.

2. Quote the post and make a comment that it's spot burning or somehow inappropriate.

​3. Mention the post and suggest it's inappropriate or spot burning.

4. Contact the member privately and tell them it's spot burning or suggest they edit their post or photo.

5. ANYTHING else that would suggest that their post is inappropriate or spot burning or violates the rules here.

What you are welcome to do is - see above, in bold. Why? Because this forum exists for people to share fishing stories, fishing reports, fishing pictures, etc, etc. It does not exist for anyone to publicly accuse or bully anyone else because they don't like what that person posted. There are plenty of forum leaders/admins here - they will handle all reported posts. If someone posts something that you consider spot burning, report it - don't quote it and say "post reported" - don't quote it and put a " :squid: " smilie...report it and IGNORE IT. Let someone else handle it.

We are going to give this a shot. Folks that ignore this rule will be politely reminded ONCE. Folks that ignore it twice will not be welcome in the NJ Forum for a month. I'm willing to leave the current spot burning rules in tact for as long as the folks that use this forum - I want to stop this crap where people post and then 3 or 4 guys jump down their throats and make them feel unwelcome here. That is not the kind of forum I/we want. Please keep that in mind when responding to other people - treat people the way you want to be treated :th:

Thank you for your understanding and anticipated cooperation :wave:

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Remove ALL mentions of locations.

If a reader is not smart enough to look at where the poster lives......well..

Everyone who has fished for a few years KNOWS more or less where the fish are at a given time.

Negative...few people have their location in their profile. And most guys that fish don't fish only right outside their doors :)

Folks are welcome to post the general location in accordance with the current guidelines...which is limited to the area within a county - eastern Hudson...northern Monmouth...southern Ocean <--- all welcome and allowed...contrary to how some folks make them feel :wave:

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Not for nothing and this is just my two cents some of you may not agree. If someone posts a pic and you think it's spot burning then you start publicly posting about it then you're only drawing more attention to it and actually makes it worse not to mention some folks on here go about it the wrong way and say things that should not be said.