A little help for our first trip

rob4vt

My father and I are heading to PI on Nov 4, and we were wandering were the best place to get bait on the way down is.  We will be catching the 7:00 AM ferry.  The marina told us to call a few days ahead and check if they had bait, but from what I have heard from other discussions is not to rely on them having bait.  We are looking to pick up some mullet and shrimp.  Is there a place that is open that early in the area?  Thanks for any help that can be given.

If ya'll are traveling in the night to make a 7:00am ferry the only place I can think of is Walmart in Havelock, they had frozen finger mullet over in the sporting goods section when I went through the other week.

Best of fortune

Dave 

Edited by Pez Rojo
Dave,
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you;
but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.,,,Samuel Clemons

Thank you. I never thought about a walmart.  I generally don't like frozen but I guess it will have to do until we can catch some fresh with nets on the island.  You didn't happen to notice if there were any mullet in the sound to be had.  Seems like they have been few and far between on Hatteras since Matthew came through?   

South end sound side just inside the hook near low tide on the 14th / 16th half a dozen throws sufficiently supplied finger mullet....... Didn't get all the way north due to high water, but had a fellow drop off a couple of corn cob size mullet with me late in the evening as he was making his way back from the point before the PS closed access at 4a.... 

Dave,

We were down last week and they only had mullet 1 out of the 4 days we were there. No one around had any (they said they hadnt returned from the hurricane yet). They did have shrimp though and we caught most of our drum on them anyway. We were also able to catch plenty of bait-fish with artificial Fish Bites Blood Worms that kept us going.

Also, they will deliver bait from the marina on any of the daily boats if you call. They just put it on your tab. We would call every day before the last boat and see what they had and have them send a delivery.

Not sure what the tides are like now, but be careful. We were on the north end and ended up missing our ferry home because we got stuck up there because we didnt make it south before the morning high tide.

If only I could cast into it, hook up, and be connected to it. My line would be attached to the chaos and, for a moment, I would mainline the power of nature.

Thanks for the info. Being our first trip we will have some feeling out to do, but thanks for the info on the tides blocking you. We will have to keep an eye on stuff like that.  Not sure what parts we will be fishing until we get there and give it an eye test.  Hopefully we will be able to net some bait in the sound.  I have been practicing with the throw nets.  Its been a while since I have to throw a 12'

I have been practicing with the throw nets.  Its been a while since I have to throw a 12'

Try a 4' or 3 1/2' net ....... much easier to throw some distance and not near as tiring 

Dave,