braid slower than mono?

Rate this topic

fishhawkxxx

I encountered similar issues with braid during the cast but lived with it until I was on a good fish which ran until all my mono went out and came down to the braid backing. The braid then dug in to itself and jammed tight which resulted in a break off and a prize fish lost.

Have now ditched the braid.

When using a squidder, surfmaster, or any of the vintage pen reels beware that thin line like braid can get in between the spool and frame and result in a break off.

I encountered similar issues with braid during the cast but lived with it until I was on a good fish which ran until all my mono went out and came down to the braid backing. The braid then dug in to itself and jammed tight which resulted in a break off and a prize fish lost.

Have now ditched the braid.

When using a squidder, surfmaster, or any of the vintage pen reels beware that thin line like braid can get in between the spool and frame and result in a break off.

Yea, I see how that can happen. We use the braid so we can get more line on the reels, but doesn't do much good if the braid is buried up on spool!

I run accurate plates, frame and spools so I'm perty good on spool to plate clearance but just thinking about line burying up on spool gives me the chills because recently that happened to me on a back-lash!  Horrible feeling aint it? Mine snapped new big game 30 lb test like it was nothing! So yea, off comes the braid!

Thanx all!

I run accurate plates, frame and spools so I'm perty good on spool to plate clearance but just thinking about line burying up on spool gives me the chills because recently that happened to me on a back-lash!  Horrible feeling aint it?

For sure, especially when you are on a large fish.

I remain a mono guy.

If you can dig your fingernail into your braid then it's not spooled tight enough or weaved properly. When you put your fingernail to it, it should feel like a peice of wood. Anything less, take if off and re-spool. When I'm spooling up I run the line through the middle of a phone book with about 5 pounds of weight on top. This keeps enough tension on the line to pack it properly. And +1 on others who mentioned weaving in a cross pattern. Done like that you should never have issues with the braid digging in from my experience.