Someone else is stuck. Do you help & if so how?

jjdbike

I don't try to tow someone out because my vehicle just isn't capable of it.  Not enough power and not enough enough traction to spare to pull someone else out without getting myself stuck as well.  I don't mind helping someone dig or push their vehicle out, and have been on the receiving end of well-timed help on the beach as well.

Buncha guys in an Escalade bottomed out at ibsp on Monday. I drive a Subaru, had a pregnant woman in the car and a very tired 3 year old, plus staring at a 2 hour drive back home. Didn’t have the energy and I’m sure the four or five of them figured it out. 

8 hours ago, TranClanXT said:

Buncha guys in an Escalade bottomed out at ibsp on Monday. I drive a Subaru, had a pregnant woman in the car and a very tired 3 year old, plus staring at a 2 hour drive back home. Didn’t have the energy and I’m sure the four or five of them figured it out. 

you could have at least stopped and told them they needed to put it in four wheel drive. 

I used to drive on the beach all of the time. Never got stuck but I also went overboard with precautionary driving. Never drove down by the wet sand. Never made sharp turns, etc etc 

I also (as mentioned in another post earlier) would not hook a chain or a strap to my truck to pull someone out but I have helped others with the jack/shoveling, etc

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

11 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

you could have at least stopped and told them they needed to put it in four wheel drive. 

or asked if they let air out...

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

After dark I would always stop and help. With plenty of daylight left I would often stop and see what was going on but not always get involved. I found that as a general rule stopping to help was a rewarding experience. It's not often that you get a chance to be the Good Samaritan.

• 2 weeks later...

Not anymore...

Most of the people that stuck at my spot are:

1. knuckleheads without permits

2. knuckleheads in sedans who do not have permits and have no business and no right to be there

3. knuckleheads who don't air down, have no required gear to drive on sand.

All above being said, I did pull out few cars in situation when you can't surpass it, meaning the road is to narrow and everybody is stuck behind it (when you have only few hours to fish, you can't afford to loose it due to some idiots who stuck and blocked the road, so I just yank it out and go about)

Another time I helped the vehicle without permit simple because there was a family with two kids inside. 

I would probably help the vehicle with small children again, I don't think I'd pass it by, even if they don't have permits, gear etc.

I would help another fellow with all the permits and gear who is struggling, things happen.

But that's about it.

Why should I spend my valuable fishing time helping people who don't buy permits and don't follow the rules that I've been following? 

I have a buddy who outfitted his truck with all kind of recovery gear, winch, elastic tow straps, you name it - he has it. 

So he's waiting for the driving season to open up and charges those morons for every pull out. In some days he makes $200-$300/day of extra gas money on them.

I don't blame him. 

24 mins ago, misha said:

Not anymore...

Most of the people that stuck at my spot are:

1. knuckleheads without permits

2. knuckleheads in sedans who do not have permits and have no business and no right to be there

3. knuckleheads who don't air down, have no required gear to drive on sand.

All above being said, I did pull out few cars in situation when you can't surpass it, meaning the road is to narrow and everybody is stuck behind it (when you have only few hours to fish, you can't afford to loose it due to some idiots who stuck and blocked the road, so I just yank it out and go about)

Another time I helped the vehicle without permit simple because there was a family with two kids inside. 

I would probably help the vehicle with small children again, I don't think I'd pass it by, even if they don't have permits, gear etc.

I would help another fellow with all the permits and gear who is struggling, things happen.

But that's about it.

Why should I spend my valuable fishing time helping people who don't buy permits and don't follow the rules that I've been following? 

I have a buddy who outfitted his truck with all kind of recovery gear, winch, elastic tow straps, you name it - he has it. 

So he's waiting for the driving season to open up and charges those morons for every pull out. In some days he makes $200-$300/day of extra gas money on them.

I don't blame him. 

America is great place, yes?