jjdbike

Someone else is stuck. Do you help & if so how?

117 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2017 at 0:40 PM, robtf said:

I

I have a friend who was stuck twice last year with his Frontier (I'm *sure* he did not air down, though...DOH!)
and it was $100/tow.  For that price, why would I risk my own vehicle?

Thats a great price for a beach tow! Going back over 10 years ago, it would run you $300+ to get them out there. 

Hello all, Im new here but not to beach driving,Ive been surf fishing and driving the sand for about 27 years. This topic interested me because its been talked about since I was a kid. I go to Ocracoke and have spent quite a bit of time there over the years. When I was a kid if you got stuck the tow was pricey and it seemed like it was slightly part of the economy. I grew up making friends there and they would tell me that you didnt pull fellow drivers off the beach. Well about 15 years ago (also my soon to be wife's first trip, she was scared of the deep sand) we were on ramp 67s beach when my 4WD quit.

I was stuck in some deep sand, she was panicked. A local guy came ove and hooked on a strap and away we went. When we got to the hard he told me that the only reason he towed me was he saw the second my fronts stopped spinning he knew I popped my 4WD. I was distraught thinking I didnt have a buggy for a 2 week trip. I got back to house and found a vacuum line off the front axle.   If I see a legit guy stuck I will do what I can. Now if its Money man with a switch for sand on the dash I dont.  That buggy was an 87 Cherokee lifted, it was a good rig. Thanks for this forum.

On August 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Shawn P said:

Hello all, Im new here but not to beach driving,Ive been surf fishing and driving the sand for about 27 years. This topic interested me because its been talked about since I was a kid. I go to Ocracoke and have spent quite a bit of time there over the years. When I was a kid if you got stuck the tow was pricey and it seemed like it was slightly part of the economy. I grew up making friends there and they would tell me that you didnt pull fellow drivers off the beach. Well about 15 years ago (also my soon to be wife's first trip, she was scared of the deep sand) we were on ramp 67s beach when my 4WD quit.

I was stuck in some deep sand, she was panicked. A local guy came ove and hooked on a strap and away we went. When we got to the hard he told me that the only reason he towed me was he saw the second my fronts stopped spinning he knew I popped my 4WD. I was distraught thinking I didnt have a buggy for a 2 week trip. I got back to house and found a vacuum line off the front axle.   If I see a legit guy stuck I will do what I can. Now if its Money man with a switch for sand on the dash I dont.  That buggy was an 87 Cherokee lifted, it was a good rig. Thanks for this forum.

The sand off 67 can be awfully soft in spots, but manageable. It's one of my favorite ramps where the family packs up for the day from Hatteras Village to enjoy desolation and some really good spotted trout fishing. Regardless of your truck's condition, I would stop to lend a hand. I know down there some people can be real idiots, like cars driving on Carova Beach and stuck. But getting assistance without calling for the tow is a welcome relief. I'm sure your bride was happy to be unstuck. One year back in the early 80's we sunk a Chevy Luv diesel off Ramp 49 behind the dunes in the spring after some serious rains down there. Water up to the middle of the doors. We had an old converted ambulance with huge tires and a sick Suburu Brat with even bigger tires pull us out and back to the house. Turned out we cracked the block after water got sucked into the engine from the air filter. We were eternally grateful. That was my friends Chevy Hate after that trip. Also, avoid that red sand! 

As a kid would hitchhike with ,gas, tools, and a battery to nauset beach and run unregistered 2wheeldrive old clunkers all over the beach.

Didn't take long to learn how not to get stuck.How to spot bad spots and how to unstuck your self along or with the help of another clunker.

after all it was fun.

There's a good book called "Shifting into 4WD", plus all the info here and common sense.  Never been on either end but will learn from this thread!!!

Times have changed. At one time I'd do all I could to help. Now,, even Fords are not so tough. So much plastic to get wrecked, not much to grab onto for a tow in the first place. I've a 2,000 lb winch that'll slip over a ball in a receiver. They're welcome to use that,, use me for an anchor, etc. But that's as far as I'll go.. BUT a pissy attitude makes me "walk on by" every time.

Last night a guy got stuck at get on. No permits, no shovel, no air down, no air gauge, no speak English, adios.  

We usually help by pointing and laughing mostly. Out in CA you are not allowed to drive on the beach at all, so when someone does, they either got really lost or in this case really drunk on a dare. If someone was in trouble on the beach and needed help, I would assist them, I know I have been struck in other tough situations and needed the help.

IMG_0193.JPG.5dec1e4f97c39202e9cb5f39cb9d205a.JPG

On 9/13/2017 at 10:00 AM, Linesideslayer said:

We usually help by pointing and laughing mostly. Out in CA you are not allowed to drive on the beach at all, so when someone does, they either got really lost or in this case really drunk on a dare. If someone was in trouble on the beach and needed help, I would assist them, I know I have been struck in other tough situations and needed the help.

IMG_0193.JPG.5dec1e4f97c39202e9cb5f39cb9d205a.JPG

I like the fancy rims on that bad boy!!

Wow. bad decision followed by another bad decision right there, listen to your inside voice bruh

Best part was the three dudes slept overnight in the back of their Burb with spinners (good eye wolfdog) waiting for the authorities to show up the next morning and the windows were well fogged up, who needs a man fort to find man love in when you can pull your Burb-buggy right up to the waters edge for a moonlit night. To this day I wonder why his two buddies stayed with him, if it was me even if I was the drunken passenger that egged my driver friend to do it, I would have left him and his ride there alone, their is real friendship or maybe manlove for ya.