PM = public message RE:Mullet

Rate this topic

crazybellringer

He asked if i live line mullet. 

For the mullet i never live line them from the beach because you really need to be in the clouds of mullet while your fishing.  If the blues are around the mullet rig is the way to go fished like a lure with a small weight. If you try throwing 5 oz and dead sticking the blues will consistently make a fool of you.  they are quick and just bite the mullet off and pull you need to be tight on the line and set the hook.

one thing i do. 

When i buy my mullet rigs i usually replace the hooks. I find most rigs come with smaller sized crapy hooks. I usually buy a couple bigger sized hooks because it helps the mullet stay on and you will hook up more. 

or you could just fish a redfin

A lot of times when the mullet are thick the blues only want meet. Some times i do use the usual stuff for blues but this question was about fishing with the mullet.   I do use lures only for bass because they don't tend to fall for the mullet rig.  

Edited by crazybellringer

As simple as it gets. 

^^ This. I tie all my own rigs, EXCEPT for mullet -- I use the metal doohickeys that come with a float. Just about every tackle shop sells them. They are murder when mullet are around. 

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

Those giant schools of finger mullet we see in September is one of the most overrated things in surf fishing.  Gets guys all wound up though...

I agree and i disagree. It's not lights out bass fishing. Two years ago the flounder were nuts over them and the blues were in pretty good. Last year was a little different not as many blues and fluke.   The thing that makes it fun for me is netting them all day and playing in the ocean it's a lot of fun. 

I agree and i disagree. It's not lights out bass fishing.

It can be lights out if your in the right place/right time.  On the non lights out nights I'd still rather be around the mullet and give myself a chance then having nothing around me what so ever. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1