awesomeblooz

In Memory of Awesome John from Istanbul, Turkey

139 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Dearest Friends on Stripers Online,

For those of you who knew my brother Awesome John, the virtuoso guitar player, entertainer and devoted surf fisherman, you will know what a special man he was.  

On Friday, June 24, 2016 I lost my beloved brother at the age of 61.  He was recently notified by the New York Blues Hall of Fame that he will be given the highest honor of 

"Legendary Blues Performer and Master Artist".  He was going to go to the Cyprus Blues Festival on July 19th for his Induction Ceremony,

My brother always told me about Stripers Online and the many friends he made here,  how he was inspired to make handmade lures and how he shared photos of his guitar

that has pearl inlay of a striped bass on the front of his guitar.

My brother was a true gentleman,a loving soul and in love with fishing and the ocean. He was funny as heck and I will miss him dearly because he was my best friend 

and my sunshine.

I remember when he first started teaching me how to fish and cast.  We were in Montauk and I was afraid I would hit someone when I was casting so I moved to another part of 

the surf.  He started yelling " You're fishing in unproductive waters!".  I now use that expression in my business and personal life as well.  I learned a lot about surf casting from my brother

but most of all I learned about life.

My brother loved you guys.  He found great joy in talking to all of you and you brightened up his day. I know my brother would have wanted to say "'thank you for the good conversation,

for sharing your knowledge with me, for allowing me to live vicariously through your adventures while I was in Turkey. Keep fishing brothers" ... is what he would have said.

My brother will miss you guys but i know God has him surf casting in his ocean with angels in heaven.

If anyone wants to ask me anything personal about my brother, do not hesitate to contact me at allygunduz@gmail.com.

As a sister who was so lucky to have had a brother who made me love surf fishing,

ally

post-72371-0-14322600-1467306365.jpg

Edited by awesomeblooz

Posted (edited)

Wow, I am very sorry for your loss RIP. I was not fortunate enough to meet him, But have had many conversations with him involved here on SOL and was always a gentlemen and just the nicest a guy could be. 

Edited by reelnautical

Thank you Reel...those conversations kept my brother going during times he so desperately wanted to be surf fishing but couldn't because of work or other obligations. Without knowing it, you made a real difference in someone's life you never ever met.

Very sorry to find out about your tragic loss. I never personally met John (and I regret it), but always enjoyed reading his posts. Especially about his beloved Montauk...

RIP.

I am so sorry for your loss. He was a great guy and I learned a lot from his posts on and off SOL.

RIP Awesome John........ :(

I never met John, but knew him through his posts here at SOL.  I always enjoyed his thoughts and count him as a brother I never got to meet.  RIP John, you lived up to your nickname, you were Awesome!

Im so sorry for your loss Ally, I didn't know John personally, but just from email exchanges a while back.

I have to say, even though it was only guys BSing about fishing and plugs via words on a computer, the passion and excitement that radiated from John was something Ill never forget. He made you feel like a good friend he knew forever.

He was truly full of love and joy and really seemed intent on sharing it with everybody that crossed his path.

Heaven was made for people like him.

Same as others have said... Wish I had met him and had a chance to play blues with him and fish. Life is short.... When you start to get it figured out... It moves even faster

Sorry for your loss

I am so sorry for your loss. I feel like I have lost someone too. I'm just another online friend but I will have good thoughts whenever one of his many posts is brought up in the future.

Peace and LOVE

Im so sorry for your loss Ally, I didn't know John personally, but just from email exchanges a while back.

I have to say, even though it was only guys BSing about fishing and plugs via words on a computer, the passion and excitement that radiated from John was something Ill never forget. He made you feel like a good friend he knew forever.

He was truly full of love and joy and really seemed intent on sharing it with everybody that crossed his path.

Heaven was made for people like him.

BigFischer, your comment touched my heart because even though you never met him, you truly summed up the essence of what he was all about - love and joy.  God bless you and I hope, this year, you catch the Big One you will talk about for years to come.

Posted (edited)

I am so sorry for your loss. I feel like I have lost someone too. I'm just another online friend but I will have good thoughts whenever one of his many posts is brought up in the future.

Peace and LOVE

Thank you Red.  You and many were a  part of the good energy that made him shine and for this I thank you and all sweet friend. What I find so beautiful is seeing the common denominator of fishing to have had the power to weave a community of caring enthusiasts who spanned the planet. Now isn't that something ?

Edited by awesomeblooz

Sad to see member pass. Never knew him but his love of fishing and others always shined through on his posts. RIP