G-Rods surf rod

Rate this topic

Citybythebaynewbie

Does anyone have any experience with this rod? It is made with a graphene/toray, 1atom layer of carbon carbon, 1million times thinner than paper and is supposed to be 1000 x stronger than diamond and plyable. This this looks awesome! I just don't have the opportunity to actually handle it. But from what I've read/researched. It's supposed to be so much lighter and stronger that any of the top of the line rods out there. Although this still is not very cheap. The 10'6" that I want still cost around $430. But still not as expensive as the $600 loomis or st croix legend.

i dont have experience. i know this technology has been in the works for a while. i'm disappointed they dont have the rod weights on their website. if their claims are super light rod but they dont list how heavy the rods are i'd have to call bs. that being said though they do look like very nice rods. i dont think you'd go wrong buying one. just be aware though looking at the construction i'd expect a very fast action rod that, if used improperly would snap easily. i.e. if your trying to heave a fish onto rocks on a jetty the chances of breakage would go way up with this rod. pure carbon rods are not very forgiving to mistakes. 

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

They are very light rod. Perfect for light tackle ,fluke, bomber and swim baits. Rated 11ft 1-3oz but i think its a bit over rated. They just release recently with a handful followings in Dallas so only time will tell of their quality.

Edited by imtekno

isn't graphene still insanely expensive?

Did they just use it in a quarter inch of the rod (yes i looked at their site and see how they claim it's being incorporated)

I can definitely see it being like E21 and their carrot fiber......which was bs

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

doing some research it looks like prices for graphene are all over the place. pure graphene in sheet form is crazy expensive. $100 a square inch whereas flakes can be had for $500 a lb. maybe i'm wrong but i dont see where there would be an advantage using microscopically small flakes. it'd be only as good as the epoxy holding it together. here's my question. if graphene is just single layered carbon atoms what would be the difference between graphene and carbon fiber for fishing rod uses. 

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

• 6 months later...

I just read that Century Composites have done a deal with Applied Graphene to produce rods made from graphene.

The news was leaked by developer Applied Graphene to financial markets, and confirmed by Century.

Century will be  marketing a line of high end carp rods made from graphene, and according to Century tests have already broken world casting records.

Will this filter down to Century's line of surf rods in future?

Thanks guys. I bought the 11' striper series. I couldn't help myself. I called the company to inquire but I ended up talking to the owner/creator. Pretty cool guy. We talked for over 2 hrs. I wanted to know details about the rod. I didn't hold back on the questions. One of the questions I asked is, how was graphene incorporated in the rod? I'm concerned that just because it says graphene, graphene could just be sprinkled around the construction and call it graphene. But no, layers of graphene sheet is rolled over graphite then graphene-graphite-and so on. I think he mentioned about 3-4 layers between substance.and I asked why they sell it that cheap considering that graphene is very expensive. They were able to get a deal from a graphene supplier at a very low cost and the cost for them is locked for I think the next 15-20years if I remember correctly. That means, the price of the rods will stay the same for a while. That was about 3 months ago. I may have left out some details but I remember after i did my research and talking to Glen (I think it's his name) I asked if he could help me get one out to me ASAP since the rod is really hard to get at the time. He had to contact some of his distributors and was able to get one from Texas. He had to get that rod delivered out to him then deliver it to a store close to where I live for me to get it. Man!! It easily my most favorite rod I've ever owned. I'm saving up for another one.

Website says all the Striper series is sold out & no dealer in the NE

City.... might you give us some details on the 11' reel seat/guide layout ??? 

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the ultra late reply fellas. Frazerp, BrianBM, not really sure what to say about the rod layout. I'm not really that technical on how a rod is built but I paired it with a vr150 and it fits perfectly. No windknots and does not snag on any of the guides. 30lb line goes through the guides very smoothly. I use a 30lb powerpro super8slick. I've also use a 50lb same brand/model and also no issues. Can easily outcast anyone at my beaches here in San Francisco that are using g loomis, century, odm etc. last year I am lucky enoug to be able to own the 10'6" striper series. I tried using the same reel on it, no issues. Line still goes through the guides and no windknot or snags but is just too bulky for the rod. Planning to get the VR50 to pair it with my 10'6", I think this match would be perfect. I pair it with my 3500 penn Slammer3 in the mean time just until I save up for the vr50. I'm planning to get the 10'6" salmon steelhead model next. They do have it on Amazon. I've seen the striper series there as well but sold out super fast. Just keep a watch for it though. Best way to find it is to call G-rods and ask which dealer of theirs still has the one you want and contact that dealer directly.

City, that's perfectly fine.  I've already been proved wrong about graphene; Century is selling very high-end surf blanks incorporating the stuff, albeit the price is a bit much for my taste. 

Rod layout .... how many guides? Do you know what kind?  Do they stick straight out from the rod blank, or are they slanted forward? What's the distance from the butt to the center of the reel seat?

7 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Anyone using these? Looks sold out throughout.

Saw a few different models available on Amazon. Went to the local tackle shop where my buddy got one about a year ago. Shop doesn't carry them any more.