April 2016 Fishing Reports.

Rate this topic

DerrickT

Trout season is upon us for those that live in the SE counties of the state, everyone else opens the 16th.

Appears everything is going like normal and the fish are cooperating.

This will be the place for your April reports. As little or as much detail as you want.

Went out to a creek in the Reading area and hammered the trout.  I landed 12 trout and kept 3 that were 12+ inches for dinner.  I missed a bunch of strikes and had many follows.  I caught them on countdown minnow #1 in brown trout and rainbow trout and also 1/16oz black rooster tail.  Im heading back out today after work...hope they are still biting.

On a side note...I saw what appeared to be an otter or large weasel of some sort running along the shore.  I don't think it was an otter because it went up a tree for a minute then came back down and continues on its way down the stream bank.  I've never seen an otter out of the water but I don't know of any weasel population in the area either so I don't know what it could of been.  

-Matt

It was defiantly not a muskrat. I see them all the time wading the schulykill river. I looked up mammals of pa and i think it was either a fisher or a mink. Both have the range of the entire state according to the Web site I was on. I'm not sure how big fishers and monk get though. The thing i saw was fairly large. ...way bigger than a squirrel.

Probably a mink. I saw more last year than Ive seen in my life. Read an article the other day that said mink populations are way up. Here's a grainy, zoomed-in pic of one I took last year.

post-37648-0-62300300-1460396309.jpg

If only I could cast into it, hook up, and be connected to it. My line would be attached to the chaos and, for a moment, I would mainline the power of nature.

Went out to a creek in the Reading area and hammered the trout.  I landed 12 trout and kept 3 that were 12+ inches for dinner.  I missed a bunch of strikes and had many follows.  I caught them on countdown minnow #1 in brown trout and rainbow trout and also 1/16oz black rooster tail.  Im heading back out today after work...hope they are still biting.

On a side note...I saw what appeared to be an otter or large weasel of some sort running along the shore.  I don't think it was an otter because it went up a tree for a minute then came back down and continues on its way down the stream bank.  I've never seen an otter out of the water but I don't know of any weasel population in the area either so I don't know what it could of been.  

-Matt

Maybe a fisher, state reintroduced them in 95 in certian locations.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see a may reports so I'll post here.

Was out on a lancaster county creek late Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and was catching trout on just about every cast. I landed my personal best creek brown trout Sunday afternoon. 20" and just over 3lbs. Was a heck of a fight on an ultralight 6' rod with 2 lb florocarbon. I was on a rock embankment which I slipped off of halfway through the fight so I had to walk it over through the water to the dirt bank to land it. I saw it earlier in the day so I had my boga grips ready for a quick weigh and release. Had my blood pounding! If I can figure out how to post pics I'll post them.