Praying Mantis. You want this guy in your garden.

Rate this topic

DoorGunner

There are several videos on the Internet of praying manti attacking hummingbirds.  The durn things hang on hummingbird feeders waiting for just the right moment to attack.  But then it seems mantis are death afraid of black widows.

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in my garden once in Newark Delaware and was watching a butterfly flit around the garden, when a mantis grabbed it outta the air. Like the guy in the hummingbird flick I knocked it loose and don't you know the friggin mantis reared up on me like that dino eating that fat dude in the truck in Jurrasic Park movie. Awesome animals, and really strong mandibles, they can bite through your skin!

• 1 year later...

This thread inspired me to grow my population of Mantis to control my pests between my small orchard and garden. I’m trying to avoid pesticides as best I can. In April 2017 I ordered 10 egg cases off eBay and hoped for the best. 

Never saw any signs of them all summer and was not sure any of the cases were productive.

Late last August I saw one walking around my burning bushes as I was moving them ahead of some landscaping work.

the other day I caught this out of the corner of my eye as I was going out back to my fire pit. It’s about 6 feet off the ground in my rhododendron. I hope there are more!

2C129463-0CAD-40A6-B838-BBBEAFE149E9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Maine Guide said:

This thread inspired me to grow my population of Mantis to control my pests between my small orchard and garden. I’m trying to avoid pesticides as best I can. In April 2017 I ordered 10 egg cases off eBay and hoped for the best. 

Never saw any signs of them all summer and was not sure any of the cases were productive.

Late last August I saw one walking around my burning bushes as I was moving them ahead of some landscaping work.

the other day I caught this out of the corner of my eye as I was going out back to my fire pit. It’s about 6 feet off the ground in my rhododendron. I hope there are more!

2C129463-0CAD-40A6-B838-BBBEAFE149E9.jpeg

Are the nests usually at that height up your way and Isnt their building of cocoons supposed to be a barometer of the coming winter? 

1 hour ago, richie c said:

Are the nests usually at that height up your way and Isnt their building of cocoons supposed to be a barometer of the coming winter? 

Not really sure. I imagine they know to build them higher up this way given our potential for big snow falls and drifts. I’ve heard that said about hornets nests. Some times you see them low to the ground, and some times 40 feet up in a tree. 

• 1 month later...