The Riddler

Can someone please tell me the last republican president to reduce the deficit? ?

97 posts in this topic

I saw this floating online and was wondering when was the last republican?

post-12713-0-33984900-1456014204.png

Slick Willy only gets credit here!! Gotta love Facebook

So who was the last republican?

Usama needed to go a step further and do what Clinton's Administration achieved through a Republican lawmaker who was the chief architect of not only balancing the budget....but eliminating the NET DEFICIT!!

I'll make a WAG that the deficit declined under Eisenhower. The great WW II bond sales were over and even without tax cuts, the modern GOP religion, the deficit would have been subsiding. 

To the best of my knowledge, the national debt remained static as a percentage of GNP from WWII to Reagan. President Reagan began the current trend of endlessly expanding the deficit, which was interrupted by the relative discipline of Clinton's budgets, erupted again on the years of the second President Bush and expanded further during Obama's tenure.

Posted (edited)

So who was the last republican?

I believe Slick Willy might be it for either side, not a good track record regardless of party

Edited by wasy

Yogiboy, the law requiring that increases in the budget here be financed by reductions in the budget there (so to speak) was either the first or second change in the statutory law under the second President Bush.

The nearest gesture to balancing the budget long-term was the proposed Simpson-Bowles Act.  It called for increases in specified taxes and sharp reductions in expenditures; Congress reacted with bipartisan horror (IMHO more to cutting expenditures then to increasing taxes) and buried the proposal on its' arrival.

Yogiboy, the law requiring that increases in the budget here be financed by reductions in the budget there (so to speak) was either the first or second change in the statutory law under the second President Bush.

The nearest gesture to balancing the budget long-term was the proposed Simpson-Bowles Act.  It called for increases in specified taxes and sharp reductions in expenditures; Congress reacted with bipartisan horror (IMHO more to cutting expenditures then to increasing taxes) and buried the proposal on its' arrival.

So are you saying this handicapped Usama's attempt to eliminating, or at least, reducing significantly the overall net deficit??

Usama needed to go a step further and do what Clinton's Administration achieved through a Republican lawmaker who was the chief architect of not only balancing the budget....but eliminating the NET DEFICIT!!

This is rich. So the President gets no credit, just the Speaker gets credit for reducing the deficit. Jesus.

Posted (edited)

This is rich. So the President gets no credit, just the Speaker gets credit for reducing the deficit. Jesus.

First, i think you're missing the point, this has nothing to do with "the Speaker".......... It seems the OP wants to toot the Dems horn for "deficit" success.  So I'm simply driving the point that if it wasn't for the serious drive John Kasich had in leading the cause, Clinton's Administration wouldn't have recognized that success in "eliminating" the deficit.....but yes, ultimately it was under his watch.  While on the other hand, Obama doesn't even come close....although he came in to a deep hole and had a ratio reduction of his own......he still spent some serious money over and above its means.

Edited by yogiiiboy

If I remember correctly both times it occurred after the Congress achieved republican majorities. For Bubba, it was the first Rep majority in house in 40 years I believe.

If I remember correctly both times it occurred after the Congress achieved republican majorities. 

Yep.  Something that Dems will do anything to avoid acknowledging.  

And when was the last time a budget proposed by Obama even got Dem support?  His budget proposals would typically get zero votes in the Senate.

Yep.  Something that Dems will do anything to avoid acknowledging.  

And when was the last time a budget proposed by Obama even got Dem support?  His budget proposals would typically get zero votes in the Senate.

Also, I believe the Bush recession (while it may have begun to take hold earlier) really did not shoot through the roof until the Dems took back over the House and madam Nancy and Dirty Harry teamed up in earnest.