Hollow fleye

Rate this topic

Seadogg

So I noticed someone mentioned wetting the fly to shape it and I'll be damned, it works! I've made a few of these over the past few days and couldn't seem to duplicate the profile of the better examples of this pattern. Who knew all it took was a dunk in the faucet and a good ole' fashioned air-dry? Success!!

post-70589-0-80230700-1454023089_thumb.jpg

Try leaving the hair on a greater angle, leaving the collars more "open" . It will give you more shape curves and roundness. What you have there looks great. You can tho get the same results without the drama of having to reverse tie the hair. . image.jpg

Yea that reverse tie is a challenge for sure. I haven't tied in a few years so I'm shaking off the rust, but I'm getting back into the swing. Your bunker colored ones are incredible. The layering and color schemes are great. Edited by Seadogg

• 1 year later...

I didn't want to start another thread so I'm resurrecting this one. I used an EP Brush after the tail. I palmered it about a little way past 1/2, then white/pink very sparse. Had it out for a test drive and both can wiggle. This inner glow looks good so I'm hoping for a little love from the bass.

post-1060-0-86845000-1492139934.jpg

Edited by saltyh2ofly

Salty, these look good my friend.

The next time you use the EP sparkle brush try this: cut a taper in the brush so you form a "V" with the bottom, or point of the V being your tie-in point. Taper the cut up about two inches. 1" is approximately 3 wraps on the hook shank. The taper will greatly add to the fly profile.

Life is too precious to fish ugly flies.

The next time you use the EP sparkle brush try this: cut a taper in the brush so you form a "V" with the bottom, or point of the V being your tie-in point. Taper the cut up about two inches. 1" is approximately 3 wraps on the hook shank. The taper will greatly add to the fly profile.

++

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Thanks guys for the tying tip.......going to give it a whirl next time I'm at the vise.

++

So I noticed someone mentioned wetting the fly to shape it and I'll be damned, it works! I've made a few of these over the past few days and couldn't seem to duplicate the profile of the better examples of this pattern. Who knew all it took was a dunk in the faucet and a good ole' fashioned air-dry? Success!!

Real good job on those!