CaryGreene

Best Herring Imitations & How You Fish Them

118 posts in this topic

This is a very informative forum.....  I always used spoons to imitate Herring or I at least was trying to imitate Herring..   What I just did is run a magic marker along the edges of a couple of my spoons ..  I added a little of green and blue to the spoons that i'm going to fish with this week.... 

Looks like we have to add another bait to our Herring thread. The Yozuri Hydro-Minnow. 6" & runs shallow but casts nice. Not bad! Also comes in a slightly larger size as well. 

Bone.jpg

Pearl Candy.jpg

9 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Looks like we have to add another bait to our Herring thread. The Yozuri Hydro-Minnow. 6" & runs shallow but casts nice. Not bad! Also comes in a slightly larger size as well. 

Bone.jpg

:)

Thanks for sharing:)

23 hours ago, FishNorthShore said:

whats the best way to retrieve the hydro pencil?

Fast, slashing side to side bursts, followed by sharp stops. Then start again. = money! 

17 hours ago, codfish said:

Thanks for sharing:)

But of course! Flutter these in pulses, rip them then steady, then rip them. Use your rod tip to haul them for short bursts. Run them parallel to jetties & structure if you have the opportunity. They will suspend just under the surface & avoid most snags. Cast them very tight to the structure.  Also drag them slower under the cover of dark, but same basic principle just slower. Let the fish find the bait. 

I was at a herring run in a river with tons of herring and bass blowing them up. They wouldn't touch a single plug I had, tried em all. Then I finally put on a giant spook and was hooking up.