CaryGreene

Best Herring Imitations & How You Fish Them

139 posts in this topic

Great thread! What size octopus hooks?

Thank you I'm glad you liked it! Those are VMC Inline hooks. #1/0 for very small lures, #2/0 foremost lures like a Super Strike Little-Neck 2 oz size, 3/0 for most normal sized plugs and 5/0 for the larger plugs like the Shimano Orca and the really big Danny Swimmers.

Great read! Thanks for putting all that info in one place. You make me want to go spend some money ;)

Well I'm glad you like the post Jhonny! The thing is when you're spending money on a habit like fishing there are a lot worse things you could be doing with your spare cash. Nothing wrong with a few lures!

Well I'm glad you like the post Jhonny! The thing is when you're spending money on a habit like fishing there are a lot worse things you could be doing with your spare cash. Nothing wrong with a few lures!

Didn't say it was a bad thing. This will help me spend wisely, Thanks!

Good post. Away from the herring runs up in Boston we get a ton of Brit or Sea Herring. These can range from 3" to 8". When bass are actively pursuing these speedster bait fish my number one is the 182 Stick Shadd. These plugs catch but they crack...and I believe it has been discontinued. I have 15 left and fix the cracked ones. Hands down one the best plugs for me when the action is on. Prefer the sinking for me.

Thank You Riddler, those Sebile Stick Shads are a very good bait for imitating herring excellent profile right shape and size and they zigzag like crazy.

I can't help but notice you replaced all of your trebles with single, do you find that it benefits you? Do you get the same hook up ratio?

Great read.musta taking some time to put it all together. Thanks for that.What is make of 2 oz. Darter?

It was fun doing a post like this and when some of the vets start posting their favorites we will have a very cool thread so, glad you like it so far! The 2 oz. Darter is made by Mike's Custom Plugs & is for Atlantics. It is a really cool plug. When I first saw Mike's work I was really amazed. I've worked in the Fishing industry for many years and the quality of his work is really amazing. Check his Web site out, you will come away very impressed.

The first time I ever saw one of his pencils in action, I was blown away by how its a slashed back and forth, then could stop and float and just hang there seductively. With all of his lures when you learn how to work them the right way they become better and better & his paint jobs are second to none. I'm obviously a big fan.

What's the best retrieve action for the colt sniper and similar jigs?

This bait is often taken as it flutters/falls so I have had very good luck giving the rod sharp jerks and then letting the bait fall and then repeating but I've also caught fish making this kid go side to side so it may depend on the conditions. One thing's for sure it catches everything that swims man! My friends and I marveled at its effectiveness all summer long.

thanks for sharing :) a 9 inch sluggo black back/ white belly is also a good choice just my two cents

You are absolutely right! I fish a lot of outflows at night where Herring congregate and I found the double rigged Sluggo to be especially deadly, white also works great. What a great bait.

Posted (edited)

What size  VMC in  line hook on the Daiwa SP please.......................thanks.

Edited by beret