albacized

Are the non sealed, cork drag reels...

104 posts in this topic

I am a bargain reel junkie- I have a few LLbean shearwater reels, Wright&Mcgill Sabalos, Cabelas TLR, and some other assorted <$200 reels.

Last year I had a few days on shore that were albie filled, and amazing.

-Wright&Mcgill Sabalos handled them well, until it got dunked the first time. Jerky, grinding, and took a bit of drying and another long run to clean it out. Now there isn't any clicking either direction. So much for "sealed"...

-Cabelas TLR was best bang for the buck, performed without any issues, But never got wet, but without meticulous cleaning, the finish dulled and started to corrode just from the salt spray.

That being said, I just sprang and bought a classic Riptide and and Everglades. Tried and true. I would hate to make the long drive down to the south coast and have a "bargain" reel cost me the trip. Hopefully these reels are as bullet proof as everyone says.

Posted (edited)

Reg - the cork on the new/old stock reels available now tends to be a bit dried up out of the box.  The Cal's grease is great, but it takes a long time to soak into the cork if it does at all.  The neets foot oil soaks in and plumps the cork back to new again, then is protected by the thin coating of Cal's.  Just a tip that I got from the fellow who had a bunch of these reels. 

If you aren't having problems with just the Cal's grease then I wouldn't worry about it.

MatLav - what is your experience with the LL Bean Shearwaters?   Are they failing in salt and if so how so?  I ask because I have one that I use for spey but not salt, and was thinking I might try it in salt.

--Killie

Edited by Killiefish

I have caught a few small stripers on it, so never a blazing run into backing or anything, but they have held up well. I have dunked them several times and it has not effected them. I wash them thoroughly when I get home, and they have worked well. The only problem that I have had was water got into where the window shows the drag setting, and fogged up. I'm sure if I brought it back they would replace it like they do so well, but it doesn't effect how the reel works.

So, yeh I saw that thread.  I took some Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" and dropped it into and around the little window that shows the drag setting, then waited and let it dry and did it again.  The window is still clear, and I think now close to waterproof.

The drag on this reel is pretty impressive actually.  Not a high end reel, but maybe with the "fix" above.....we will see.

On 12/15/2015 at 1:02 PM, Cpalms said:

It's 250 but who's counting LOL..

"As with all of Ted's reels, the drag system is absolutely flawless and has withstood the test of the world's most demanding game fish, including 250 World Records, so far. If you were to own only one fly reel, this is the one to have."

http://www.tiborreel.com/tibor.html

Many of the records came from a time when Tibor was basically the only game in town and at a time when anglers actually cared about records - when was the last time a world record was discussed on this forum?  I'll stipulate Tibors are great reels, the WR number is good marketing but they sure ain't the end and be all...

I hadn't visited the site in a while and dug up this thread since we were on another thread discussing fly reels.

CPalms is correct, Tibor set a lot of records when there wasn't another game in town.  The real records that show how good a reel can be, IMHO, are the big game record.  Quoted from someone else who convinced me 15 years ago to switch to Charlton reels, from another thread on this site, regarding world records:

Blue Marlin 20# tippet 289 pounds 2002

Black Marlin 16# tippet 151 pounds 2003

Bluefin Tuna 20# tippet 197 pounds 2001

Striped Marlin 12# tippet 154 pounds 2004

(broke previous Charlton record)

Striped Marlin 16# tippet 230 pounds 2002

Pacific Sailfish 12 # tippet 114 pounds 2003

Pacific Sailfish 20 # tippet 112 pounds 2003

Tarpon 16# tippet 191 pounds 2003

Take a look at the dates here. Charlton is knocking records down like bowling pins.

Again these are just records for over 100 pounds and do not reflect the other current Charlton world records for Wahoo 1993 and 1994, Spearfish 2004, Dolphinfish 12# and 20# tippet 2003, Roosterfish 2002 and on and on down to the even the current record for Whitefish on 4# tippet. These are just the records I can cite because I personaly know these anglers. In reviewing the records I suspect there are quite a few more as I know several other record holders but have not had time to call them. ---

Brian you were absolutely correct when you stated, " Charlton reels are disproportionately represented in recent big game records ". Perhaps even more than you realized. 1% .. go figure.

Those who love Tibors, more power to you.  But my own records show that since I switched to Charlton reels the average fight time I have for big fish has decreased by 7 minutes.  This was over ten years of meticulous record keeping.  These days I don't bother anymore, my Tibors and  Abels get backup status except on my lighter rods/rigs.  

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 9:03 AM, Pauleye said:

I am reel shopping for a 10 wt. right now (and have been all fall).  What turns me off with many of these companies is the cost of the extra spool,

Sometimes it's just more cost effective to purchase a second reel instead of a spare spool. I would rather swap a reel out than a Pate or Fin-nor spool.

FT 

On 12/14/2015 at 7:55 PM, Roook13 said:

When you guys start posting pictures of yourself fishing like this guy I will only buy sealed reels from here on out...

post-55169-0-10447500-1450141024_thumb.jpg

On 12/14/2015 at 7:59 PM, HillTop said:

Don't tell me.....Mike Oliver without his wet suit?

And Mike thinks a'm funny?

On 12/13/2015 at 9:23 AM, albacized said:

...going the way of dinosaurs? Seems like fewer companies are making them, and the ones that are (Abel, Tibor) are also jumping in the sealed drag market...I do own one sealed drag reel (Nautilus NV) and like it a lot...but I also like the more 'traditional' (not sure if they're truly traditional) non sealed cork drags, including Abels, Islanders, Tibors, the old Fin-nor reels, etc....are we looking at a time in the fairly near future where these reels  will no longer exist (or more accurately, produced)?

They may. It depends how much people fall for the marketing. 

Theres no such thing as sealed anything 

just like a trailer. If it gets dunked, you gotta clean it. Repack the bearings. 

‘It’s either that or 

a- keep it dry

Or

b- just make sure the reel company will be around to service it 

Posted (edited)

those are shorts or a bathing suit.. these are knickers 

th-1.jpeg

Edited by ccb

3 hours ago, JohnP said:

They may. It depends how much people fall for the marketing. 

Theres no such thing as sealed anything 

just like a trailer. If it gets dunked, you gotta clean it. Repack the bearings. 

‘It’s either that or 

a- keep it dry

Or

b- just make sure the reel company will be around to service it 

Of course there are truly sealed reels as well as many other mechanical devices that qualify. My own experience and that of others contradicts your assertion.

I can't speak for other reels but all my Charlton built reels are sealed 100%.  I've taken them on 1-2 week trips with multiple dunkings in saltwater and sand and never bother rinsing them off.  Been doing it for years.  Not a hint of rust.  A Mako reel was dropped overboard in the ocean by accident and recovered months later, Jack Charlton took it apart and found no water in the drag system at all.  This is having a reel at the bottom of the ocean probably subject to at least 1 atm of pressure for months and not a single drop of water intrusion.  

8 hours ago, formula1 said:

Of course there are truly sealed reels as well as many other mechanical devices that qualify. My own experience and that of others contradicts your assertion.

I can't speak for other reels but all my Charlton built reels are sealed 100%.  I've taken them on 1-2 week trips with multiple dunkings in saltwater and sand and never bother rinsing them off.  Been doing it for years.  Not a hint of rust.  A Mako reel was dropped overboard in the ocean by accident and recovered months later, Jack Charlton took it apart and found no water in the drag system at all.  This is having a reel at the bottom of the ocean probably subject to at least 1 atm of pressure for months and not a single drop of water intrusion.  

Yes i understand charlton may qualify but a charlton is not a reel that’s  really offered for sale. And thus I don’t think enough people are out there in the field putting them through the paces. 

But even a charlton I just don’t know. I’m getting old I guess. Im so old I still believe parts get old and wear out. And all things coming in constant contact with salt water need periodic inspection and maintenance. And if they are heavily used, all the more reason. I still think like that. Ain’t it crazy?

I do have reels that are so called sealed and maintencance free. But ain’t it funny those companies still have a repairs Department ?