bigredgolf

Help - possible move to Colorado

35 posts in this topic

Boulder is ungodly expensive also.  My mom lives south of Denver, about halfway to the Springs.  If you could get up towards Lyons, that would be nice- hang out with Gierach.

housing market is currently insane, my house valuation has gone from $320k to $460k in less than 5 years..

OTOH that is 2400 sq ft with 1000 ft unfinished basement in an excellent school district, could do it for less if no kids and school not a concern.

The best place to find the grandeur of Colorado, is in Wyoming.. CO itself is very crowded now and Denver is choking on traffic. The I70 into the mountains is a parking lot on Friday evenings and most of Sunday in summer, steady rush-hour style traffic in snow on the interstate most of the day in winter as the skiers go up and down.

It's still a great place to live though, and a lot less crowded than the East coast in general. Wyo lakes and streams about 3-5 hours drive and it's worth it.

Any trout near Denver will be heavily pressured and fishing will be a crowded experience, tiny flies and long light leaders. I have turned to carp on the fly, challenging and not yet crowded even in town.

The best place to find the grandeur of Colorado, is in Wyoming.. 

It's still a great place to live though, and a lot less crowded than the East coast in general. Wyo lakes and streams about 3-5 hours drive and it's worth it.

:) This thread inspired me to call a friend who lives in Littleton, who I hadn't talked to in a couple of years.

Today he sent me some pictures of a trip near the CO/WY border. You just might know where these were taken.  :p

post-67991-0-40366900-1441858134.jpg

post-67991-0-74875700-1441858812.jpg

post-67991-0-86904900-1441858133.jpg

Edited by patchyfog

Update - we are moving to the Denver area (somewhere) around June 1. Would love to meet up with any SOL'ers in the area. Looking forward to it...

Gonna be a mighty long cast to the nearest striper.If ya need someone to make your packing easier, I'll take your surf gear---

On 9/9/2015 at 11:13 PM, DougK said:

housing market is currently insane, my house valuation has gone from $320k to $460k in less than 5 years..

OTOH that is 2400 sq ft with 1000 ft unfinished basement in an excellent school district, could do it for less if no kids and school not a concern.

The best place to find the grandeur of Colorado, is in Wyoming.. CO itself is very crowded now and Denver is choking on traffic. The I70 into the mountains is a parking lot on Friday evenings and most of Sunday in summer, steady rush-hour style traffic in snow on the interstate most of the day in winter as the skiers go up and down.

Any trout near Denver will be heavily pressured and fishing will be a crowded experience, tiny flies and long light leaders. I have turned to carp on the fly, challenging and not yet crowded even in town.

Yep -- Denver is thru roof house price wise. Traffic is nuts as they never expected the population growth.  I70 is a mess around weekends & Holidays. The homeless downtown near the courthouse in Denver just over run the park there.

Tiny flies is right...hope you have good eyesight. Great outdoors place to live otherwise, hiking, biking photography, skiing, hunting & fishing.

On 9/8/2015 at 1:06 PM, gman1253 said:

Yep did it for 1& 1/2 years. My avatar is my son & I somewhere near Crested Butte in the fall.

Denver summers are super HOT... the sun is brutal. Drink tons of water.

Traffic is a bear at time specially on I70 or commuting hours.

Get used to tiny flies.... plenty of streams & most hold trout due to the water being cold. Did I say tiny flies? Get a magnifying glass.

Also some warm water places for carp, pike in the spring & panfish/ bass.

Great for all kinds of outdoor sports, hiking, biking, kayaking, photography, jeeping, shooting, hunting, doing the 14's, etc. etc. 

Get a 4 wheel drive or two - they do not put sand/ salt on roads as the sun will usually take care of things as soon as it comes out - unless it's -20 out.

TONS of micro-breweries in the Denver area.  Also - the best happy hours I have come across.

Good luck - 

Job blew up ...

Posted (edited)

On 3/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, unclebunker said:

Gonna be a mighty long cast to the nearest striper.If ya need someone to make your packing easier, I'll take your surf gear---

wow, congrats!

smoke em if ya got em

Edited by chicky

Toyed with this for years, and then kids ....

But once they're through college, we are so doing this!  Good luck!

Posted (edited)

titleguy,

I'm with you. Since I'm moving out there in 2021 from FL, I wanna rent the first year to make sure I can handle the weather and my arthritic knees don't issue a veto. Finding apartments that accept doggies seems to be an issue. I was hoping to land in Dillon, but it looks like mebbeso it's gonna be a bigger 'burg, at least that first year. The good news is, Bozeman is close to Yellowstone. I wanna do a lot of camping after I retire and move out there. Trout fishing is high on my list, too. Mebbe bounce around a bit from Glacier to Yellowstone, mebbe a trip down south to Utah once in a while. I don't particularly mesh well with Colorado politics, on multiple levels, and am more oriented towards Montana/Wyoming/Utah. 

Whichever one gets out there first needs to let the other one know where they landed.

Edited by Del Gue