bigredgolf

Help - possible move to Colorado

35 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I will be getting married in about 6 weeks, and we currently live in Hoboken, NJ. I grew up in NJ, went to school in Ohio, and she grew up in SoCal and went to school at UC Boulder. We have both been slugging it out working in finance in NYC for about 6 years, and we're ready to make a move out somewhere else in the country - try something new, explore a bit. We have no kids (yet) and were considering Colorado, the Denver area. Anyone here live in Colorado, or better yet, made the move from the east coast to CO? We both love the outdoors and the Denver area seems amazing but I've spent limited time there. She's all for the move. 

Also, where's a good neighborhood to live for proximity to great fishing?

Thanks all for the help!

Brian

I you plan to live in metro Denver, be prepared to be driving a fair bit to fish- at least an hour.  Traffic can also be ungodly bad in spots (like I-70 on Friday night and Sunday afternoons)

If I were going to move back to CO ( I grew up in Steamboat), I would think about returning there but real estate is crazy expensive.

If you want to live in a small city with great fishing all around it and a great quality of life- Bozeman, MT.  I'm moving when kids are done with college.

My Boulder pals love that area and commute to Denver.

They all seem to have drift boats.

Seems to be a big scene.

I beach and variety too much to make a move.

I would think this decision would be based on where I will be working and where would I want to raise my children to give them the best opportunity to be wildly successful in life.

Yep did it for 1& 1/2 years. My avatar is my son & I somewhere near Crested Butte in the fall.

Denver summers are super HOT... the sun is brutal. Drink tons of water.

Traffic is a bear at time specially on I70 or commuting hours.

Get used to tiny flies.... plenty of streams & most hold trout due to the water being cold. Did I say tiny flies? Get a magnifying glass.

Also some warm water places for carp, pike in the spring & panfish/ bass.

Great for all kinds of outdoor sports, hiking, biking, kayaking, photography, jeeping, shooting, hunting, doing the 14's, etc. etc. 

Get a 4 wheel drive or two - they do not put sand/ salt on roads as the sun will usually take care of things as soon as it comes out - unless it's -20 out.

TONS of micro-breweries in the Denver area.  Also - the best happy hours I have come across.

Good luck - 

This is different, not just Denver area. If I were moving, and job was no consideration, I think I'd end up near Pagosa, or Gunnison, or near the WY border.

Watch for lions. They come down from the foothills sometimes.

I am originally from Denver and it depends on what you are looking for, as others have said. Denver is a big city, other great cities in CO would be Dillion area, Eagle-Vail, Glenwood Sprs, Boulder area, Gunnison, Durango, and Steamboat. But, Montana is also an excellent choice. 

I tried to make the move out there 25 years ago when I got married. At that time there were no computer jobs out there for me so it never panned out.  The fly fishing I did out there was very technical small fly fishing. My BIL moved to Steamboat but got tired of seeing snow still on the ground in June.

Do you fish the salt much?

If so, can you live without easy access to saltwater being nearby?

That was a deal breaker for me when I considered a move years ago.

Good luck with your decision.

SF

bigredgolf-

Primary reason - 1.5 years due to job. After moving out there they wanted me to go to Portland (not Maine). I said thanks but no thanks.

Secondary reasons - wife hated it & we both missed the salt. 

Our son & his wife & baby are stil there so we go back for visits.

Job market out there was hot but no sure now with the oil crash... also rents were thru the roof as well as housing in Denver proper. Not sure how that stands now. Not many big firms out there but numerous small & midcaps.

Good luck -- MG

I grew up in Colorado... and just got back from a friends wedding / 5 day vacation there.  You still have my number?  Give me a call and I can really fill you in.  We are considering moving there as well.

This all sounds good guys.

Kerry - yep, I'll give you a buzz

I do fish the salt, but it's only about 10-20% of my fishing. It's great but I could also just see us taking a trip or two per year to some salt destinations, and I'd be happy with that. I'm mostly a trout and bass angler.

There are actually a ton of financial firms out there, and Google is building a huge new place in Boulder.

I'm just getting fed up with the lack of purchasing power around here - money goes nowhere.